Weekdays 11:00 PM on Comedy Central

This summer, when Jon Stewart took some time off from hosting Comedy Central's The Daily Show to direct a movie, Emmy Award-winning Daily Show correspondent John Oliver bravely stepped in to keep Stewart's chair warm and the show on the air. Viewer response was overwhelmingly positive—and rightly so, because Oliver did a great job—and now HBO has decided that it would like to start a feud with Stewart by poaching Oliver to host a weekly satirical news series to debut on Sunday evenings in 2014.

I don't normally include quotes from press releases in stories like this, because they're usually not all that funny or exciting and obviously I think I'm better/funnier than everyone else anyway, but Oliver's comments about joining the HBO team made me laugh (good start, John!) so I wanted to share them with you all:

I’m incredibly excited to be joining HBO, especially as I presume this means I get free HBO now. I want to thank Comedy Central, and everyone at The Daily Show for the best seven and a half years of my life. But most of all, I’d like to thank Jon Stewart. He taught me everything I know. In fact, if I fail in the future, it’s entirely his fault.

I would like to echo Oliver's sentiments and state that I, too, learned everything I know from Jon Stewart and The Daily Show. As such, any of my future failures can be blamed on Stewart as well. I look forward to learning a lot about current events from both men in 2014.

thekaitling:list:john-vs-jon-who-do-you-prefer/

Will you miss John Oliver on The Daily Show? Would you pay for HBO just to watch his new show?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/26/2014

Season 19 : Episode 143

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 11PM

Season 19 : Episode 144

20 Comments
Follow this Show
Members