The Dead Zone

Ascent (2)

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jan 19, 2003 on USA

• As Walt lies in a coma, Johnny attempts to reach him through his visions only to find himself experiencing key moments of Walts life, including his first meeting with Sarah

Although it sounds a good idea on paper - witnessing key moments in Walt's life as he lays in a coma - this opportunity to see a great Walt-centric episode mostly misses the mark. There are some good moments such as seeing Walt first meet Sarah and their first kiss together, and it feels like its going to a long way in developing Walt's character, unfortunately these moments are too few and far between. Instead, the majority of the episode is made up of Johnny trying to stop Walt from going into the light which is repetitive after a while, drags on for far too long, and is not as urgent as it should be considering this is ultimately a major character who is facing death. Another negative aspect is the fact that the flashbacks of Walt's life are played out twice, but we only see snippets of Walt actually living them out, mostly we see Johnny experiencing the events, which could serve to enlighten him about the way Walt feels about the love triangle situation, but instead little is made of it. Add to this the fact that for a "Walt episode" actor Chris Bruno barely features, which is a darn shame considering he is much more likeable as Walt, than when Anthony Michael Hall/Johnny plays him. The most disappointing aspect though is the revelation to Walt that Johnny slept with Sarah recently only leads to a scrap between the two, one that invokes no emotion, which is pretty strange considering for the past year we as the audience have seen this love triangle grow stronger and become more complicated, yet when it comes to a head here, one finds it hard to care about the outcome of the confrontation. Maybe if the prior development to Walt's character in this and the previous episode had been stronger (admittedly, the first part of the story did more for Walt's character than this episode) then maybe the fight might have delivered, but instead we get an ending, and indeed an entire episode, devoid of an emotional cord to plug into. On the plus side, Ron Hay's music, particularly his use of Walt and Sarah's love theme is very strong, a beautiful cue that adds some weight to the scenes, although not enough to save the episode.
  • What are they trying to do with 'The Dead Zone', this episode is just plain bad!

5.8
    I just finished watching season 1 of The Dead Zone and it became a instant classic for me, great character development for the key character who seem to be Johnny, Sarah & Dana to me. Seems season 2 takes an entirely different direction and I dont like it so far!

This episode makes painfully clear that Walt Bannerman is a important character in the series although they never really made him quite interesting, I was more hoping for the series to continue without him as with him in this episode.

In my opinion this show has always been about great scripting and good character development and seems they completely missed that ball untill now. This episode is about Johnny trying to save Walt Bannerman from his death which he has seen in a vision, which he tries to accomplish by going in his mind and seeing his thoughts and trying to pull him out of the come not realizing Walt is pulling him with him. Not really to much to say about it in my opinion, its not interesting to watch and all the flashbacks are things youve already seen in previous episodes. I will continue to watch but I seriously hope to see improvements to the concept after this episode. Rated 5.8/10 while not 1 episode of season 1 would get less then a 8/10 from me. Disappointing
  • A great episode.

This is probably the best episode so far this season. With walt in a coma after the acident att he mine, Johnny must go deep into his mind to try and guide the lost Walt back into our world. But Johnny meets someone in Walts mind is it the Devil? we don't know but he tells Johnny that he tried so long to get him to go into the light but Johnny never gave up, but Walt is beginning to. Johnny has to tell Walt about his affair with Sara so that he will wan't to come back. After the near death of both Johnny and Walt they both come round and are fine. This was a great episode that was well written and orgainised. I hope there are more episodes like this in the season .