The Dead Zone

Dinner with Dana

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 25, 2002 on USA

• One of the best of the early episodes - and one of the best scenes of the series (so far)...

This episode does a great job of giving us a bit of extra insight into what its like to be Johnny Smith, and how his abilities make trying to live a normal life a bit challenging at times.

Usually when we see Johnny dealing with his abilities, he's seeing things that he knows he needs to somehow change - his visions prompt him to action. While there is, of course, some of that in this episode, we also get to see how some of his visions are a bit more "mundane", letting him see what a friend (or date) is thinking or planning and sometimes making feelings more clear that is comfortable.

Without spoiling the scene for those who've not seen it, I have to say that the "love scene" in this episode is still, to this day, one of my favourite scenes from the entire series. It's not just exceptionally entertaining, but it also does a great job of showing us quite a bit about both Dana and Johnny, adding to their budding relationship, and features some excellent performances from all involved. I was pleased to hear that Kristen Dalton will be appearing again during the 4th season. She was missed last year, and hopefully, we'll get to see a bit more interplay between her and Johnny.