The Dead Zone

Panic

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 02, 2006 on USA

• This is the new & improved S5...? RIP Dead Zone.

I hadn\\\'t watched DZ for a while (busy RL + holidays) & after the 1st couple eps of S5 I was hopeful. I just came to watch \\\"Panic\\\" with my wife & we couldn\\\'t stop laughing. Laughing at the complete tripe that the screenwriting direction & continuity/editing has taken. This has got to be the single worst tv series episode we have seen (& we watch a LOT of tv!) in a long, long time. Let me put it in perspective: I had 4 more eps downloaded & ready to watch, but after seeing most of this drivel I immediately ran screaming to the PC & permanently deleted the pending 4 eps we yet had to watch. Yes, we were that disgusted with the insult to our average intelligence & entertainment expectations, so much so that I was hitting the delete key as the FBI storms in at the end, well before any credits or conclusion. The miracle is that we let it waste our lives & time for the 40-odd mins too long. E.g.:

- plot holes so large you could drive an oil tanker through them
    - let\\\'s hit the bad guy over the head with a gold club & then NOT finish the job & NOT take his gun away when he\\\'s almost unconscious - he\\\'s only a stone cold killer trying to kill my child & someone else\\\'s after all!
    - guns penetrate solid oak doors, but not a 30-yr-old+ dumb waiter rofl!
    - let\\\'s take a long, long look at each other (John/bad guy) before runnin & gunnin lol!!!
    - let\\\'s have a chat to the sheriff while untying him (after making as much noise as possible with the air duct cover) to give the bad guys time to come in half way
    - let\\\'s always have our backs to whoever is sneaking up on us, even if it is the only possible approach angle
    - The tortured/beaten half to death sheriff & the kid with severe blood loss can scurry up a ladder like a trapeze artist, but the psychic who just fell on his bum from 10\\\' up in a dumb waiter is taking one rung one foot at a time like he\\\'s waiting for the bad guy actor to come through the tunnel door - ummm, who\\\'s doin this choreography lol?

Can anyone say \\\"inconsistencies\\\", \\\"terrible plot/screenwriting/continuity\\\"??? The fact so many here didn\\\'t *hate* this ep, much less thought it \\\'ok\\\' or \\\'good\\\', is a sad, sad, pathetic statement on the general (presumably US) viewing public. We had heard that the show was getting a makeover & new producer/sponsors with S5. Great job - whoever approved \\\"Panic\\\" should really start panicking - it\\\'s all over for us at any rate! RIP Dead Zone.
  • Not a bad episode.

This episode was still pretty good. Maybe not the best story but it was a chance for JJ and Johnny to bond. This episode was all about some people trying to get in to Johnny and JJ. Luckily Johnny's house has a panic room and they hind in there. So eventually the bad guys get in and luckily again there is a secret passage way out side from the room. This was a filler episode but it was still very good nonetheless. I am really liking this show a lot, and i hope it produces some great episodes this season.
  • Panic is the perfect word! I was indeed panicing myself

Although i have been in suspece at other times that i couldnt even think what would happen next, the episode was great in my opinion!
    How can you get better then Johnny having to save the ones he loves, himself, and a scared neighbor from two crazy insane guys with flashbacks of the house to lead them to the basement to flashbacks of the neighbor to find out who the guys were that were after them!
    Some of the episodes of The Dead ZOne bore me and his visions are slow moving and make me want to just change the channel. I will also admit i cant miss this show!

I loved the episode! I feel it could have been better in ways, i feel it would have been great if they left you hanging at the end of the episode but then i would be hard becuase they wouldnt be able to start a new plot during the next episode so often!

I am personally hoping for a few episodes in a row where his visions lead him on a path of multiple cases for a few weeks... cases that are conected in small ways but end up being extreamly important at the end!
  • Johnny is guided in his actions to protect not only his son but the teen-age witness to a violent crime from hit men who have already killed the teens father. He is aided by flashbacks of his father and grandfather trying to aid innocents during WW2.

Johnny and JJ's relationship has grown so much since JJ discovered the truth. But in the end it has always been his adoptive father who gets to play the hero. It was nice that not only did Johnny be the hero, but we get to see where he gets it from. In a wonderful flashback, Johnny sees his father and grandfather saving a Japanese American family in the days after Pearl Harbor. These men were sadly not a real part of Johnny's life, but in the visions from the past Johnny can learn from them, much as he teaches JJ now. A lesson of courage and compassion is the greatest gift a parent can give a child.
  • Johnny and JJ are put into danger when a neighborhood boy comes into Johnny's house with killers on his tail

This was definately one of my favorite episodes! Johnny was great! I loved how they flashed back to his great-grandfather helping the Japanese people...very cool!--especially since it helped them escape! omg I totally felt bad for Walt when he was getting beat up! He did look good though haha and so did Johnny! (AMH is definately getting hotter...he is looking good!) It was sooo good to finally see Walt (and Johnny together...they make such a great team)! I loved how Johnny cared so much for Randy and tried to protect him! Overall...very good episode...loved it! :)
  • An interesting concept undone by horrible, convenient plotting

With the seasons of “Dead Zone” being so short, this episode is more or less a third of the way down the line. This is, unfortunately, also the third episode in a row to disappoint me. I think it’s clear why the producers wanted to swap the previous episode out and air this one during the holiday weekend. It’s certainly not an hour that stands up to close inspection, and it highlights a number of the issues that began in the fourth season and continue during this stretch.

This is the second time that I saw the episode in first run while visiting with my sister, who loves the stand-alone episodes and generally likes the elements I find lacking. (She’s a big fan of episodic TV, and I am certainly not.) I was surprised to find that she was just as disappointed by this episode as I was, and for the same general reasons.

In particular, this story had a lot of nagging logical issues. A lot of things happened and decisions were made in ways that made little sense in terms of basic physics or motivation. One example would be the ultra-convenient disabling of the alarm system, which somehow managed to disengage one or two mechanical locks while leaving the rest firmly in place. That makes very little sense. Wouldn’t it have been more logical for the assassins to break a window and crawl in, rather than gloss over a major plot point?

Then there’s the decision to leave Walt alive. Given that the assassins are ready to kill everyone in the way, and they are more than happy to beat Walt to a pulp, their reasons for keeping him alive don’t track. By that point, Johnny and JJ had plenty of reason to expect an execution, so all the assassins gain is a chance for someone else to get in their way.

Johnny’s rescue of Walt was ridiculous. Why would Johnny’s house have an industrial-sized air vent system? And why didn’t the assassin, looking for a way into the basement, wonder how Johnny had gotten to Walt and notice the massive hole in the wall? And this is after two assassins drill a dumb waiter shaft with about a dozen bullets and manage to miss Johnny with every single shot! By the time the federal agents arrived just in time to save Johnny, I was shaking my head, wondering how a script like this could get past the writing staff.

Usually I like it when the writers try to forge a link between stand-alone elements and character exploration. And in general, I liked the idea of exploring Johnny’s family history. It’s just that the revelations, and how they pertained to the “home invasion”, were utterly predictable. This is also an episode where the musical score just added a pretentious quality to the historical scenes. I got the message easily enough (Johnny is a selfless individual with a desire to do the right thing, something inherent to his family), but it was incredibly overdone.

The advance information for the next episode sounds a bit more promising, but thus far, this season has been disappointing.
  • A solid third episode.

"Panic" was a heart-pumping edge of your seat thriller, which kept me wanting more as the episode progressed. The episode kind of reminded me of the movie "Panic Room". It was great to see Walt and JJ return, and it is always a good thing when Johnny and JJ interact. The two villians in the episode played their characters well. Adam Targum, in his third Dead Zone episode, has proved to me that he may very well be one of the show's top writers. I loved his portrayal of the house and his ability to turn the house into a character. It was good to see more of Johnny's house in this episode. The WW2 scenes in the episode, the ones with Johnny's grandfather and his son, where well played out. Hopefully we will get to know more about Johnny's father in the seasons to come.

In the end, "Panic" was a grand slam. It had a lot of action, and some fun moments. The season, at the pace it is currently going, may become one of the best seasons, right alongside Seasons 2 and 3.
  • While cleaning out his attic with J.J., Johnny discovers his grandfather's trunk which gives him a vision of his grandfather as a child. Suddenly he hears the doorbell ring and when he comes down, he's hit with a present day vision of a young man in need.

This seemed like a filler episode to me in that a random character needs Johnny's help. However the interesting thing about this particular episode is Johnny gets help throughout the episode in the form of visions from his grandfather throughout the house. While being a usual "Johnny helps someone in need" episode, the writers decided to add a meaningful "help others because it's the right thing to do" storyline throughout. Other than that, you were just noticing a little quality time between father and son, but no real character development. Walt goes in guns a blazing without backup as usual, and gets his head beat for it.