The Dead Zone

USA (ended 2007)

Gislef

The Dead Zone Fan Reviews (109)

• DEAD ZONE

1st and BOOK IS BEYOND i gotta say, it took me until this year (2014) to bring myself to watch the television show "The Dead Zone" cuz i thought there was NOOOO WAAYY that ANYONE but Walkin to "do" Johnny, but i have to admit i am now ADDICTED to the show lol Anthony Michael Hall does a fantastic job!!! and i LOVE how they brought the whole serial killer in the first episode and now (im into season 2) the whole Stillson thing into it, i love it, but then again WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Good Show worth watching

This was a great show, it had its lows but the good parts made it worth watching. I have to disagree with some other reviewers. There was a place were a few episodes were "touched by an angelish" but it didnt last that long.

Great show, the ending tied up everything but one event which was unfortunate because that event was a major plot point for several seasons.

I dont know if they could have gotten another season out of it but there could have been a least 3-4 more shows to finish it all off.
  • the dead zone season 4 episode 4; still life

In this episode is an awsome house by the sea, does anyone know where that house is?
  • visionary show

the series is based on stephen king's novel of the same title. johnny smith, the protagonist is a psychic, a visionary who can see the future and the past alike, the result of a terrible accident he suffered that left him in a coma for six years. he was totally different when he woke up having this visions that help him change the outcome of a particular situation. with just the slightest contact, a touch with a person or things he goes out or spaced out for a moment and see what will happen or what already happened, most of the time horrible things that makes him to question if it's really a gift or a curse. but he can be of help to anyone who needs it if only to change something for the better.
  • Good idea, bad execution.

In a word of cardboard characters and poor writing, The Dead Zone is a joy to watch. I have enjoyed every episode and some episodes have been excellent.

The only tragedy with this series is not with the series itself but with the way USA handles the scheduling and marketing. Most of the time I don't know when the season is going to begin or when the new episodes will air. Scheduling is erratic and promotion is often non existent. Someone in the USA main office must not want this show to succeed. Frankly, it's an amazing testament to the show's appeal that it still is in production despite this utter mismanagement.

USA, please recognize the gem you have in both Monk and The Dead Zone and, at the very least, air them on a regular schedule on which we can rely.
  • The series started strong and then PC'd its way into a sad sad death.

Originally I enjoyed the series, loved season one and two because it was original and the plotline was interesting and fresh...that is, until the stories became politically left and fell into a forum for liberals. Then it became snoresville, and I took it off of my viewing list...it took a few episodes for me to disown the series, because I honestly had enjoyed the writing, and the acting. I do hope that in the future they might go back to having this show not be so political, but I don't see them back tracking...just the other day I tempted myself to a viewing of the latest episodes and my bias was sadly enforced by its political crapshooting. Sad.
  • It starts out so well, strong and addictive - Johnny is damaged but coping. Then it goes all "touched by an angel". Ick.

I used to love this show. It used to be interesting, funny, dramatic, strong. Then it got... holy, sacherine, Johnny saves the day. Although, honestly, I've always hated what's her face, his ex. I mean, you're married! Don't you take your vows seriously? While the show is all "we're heroes" with the plots in public, in their own lives they're acting like irresponsable kids - she could wreck her child's life, cheating and being as uncommitted as she is. It just makes me irked - the only female character is *such* a stupid chick, with no real personality (certainly none to admire). And they should not let Anthony Michael Hall direct, ever, ever again. They need to resolve the whole congressman doom issue adn get on with it. There's so much more they could be doing, adn they're putzing around like kids in a mud puddle. It's pathetic lately. Put it out of it's misery.
  • A great show picking up the mythology the movie created perfectly and making it it's own. The cast was wonderful from start to finish. Seeing how the movie ended in Johnny dying trying to prevent the end of the world. The show

A great show picking up the mythology the movie created perfectly and making it it's own. The cast was wonderful from start to finish. Seeing how the movie ended in Johnny dying trying to prevent the end of the world. The show re-wrote and included new stories to keep the show going. Given five seasons to expand on Johnny's life I enjoyed seeing his personal life and how his gift affected it. The whole revelation of his wife moving on after his accident and still being a part of his life was thrilling. The final seasons dealt with the end of the world and even then instead of a one shot story. We bounced back and forth always keeping the story interesting. The show had a strong fanbase and I'm not sure why USA canceled it but it was great and I'll return to the dvds often to relive the happy times I enjoyed watching the series.
  • Great show..great show..........

The Dead Zone, is probably one of the greatest shows ever concieved. The show's superb writing, excellent directing, great acting, and amazing special effects make the show a pleasure to watch day in and day out. Every episode is refreshing, new, and very smart, which is very rare with many other trashy TV shows out there. Anthony Michael Hall has revived his career with this career altering role. He IS Johnny Smith. The supporting cast is amazing and each bring depth to their respective characters. Each season improves in quality and also brings shocking surprises and cliffhangers. Make sure you make time on Sunday nights to watch this incredible series. You won't regret it.
  • Johnny rocks !

The Dead Zone is the best show in his categorie !

The season 1 was here to show the difference between the Movie and the Series... At the end of the first season, we enjoyed to see the relation between Johnny and Greg Stillson. We could think Greg was the devil and Johnny the angel...

In season 2, Christopher Wey, one survivor of the apocalypse, was a little useless, but in the season finale, he showed us what we wanted to see !
    The second season, the longest, had a lots of useless episode...

The third season was very good ! Johnny searched how apocalypse started and find out when the Johnny of the future told him... "When the times comes do not save Rebecca." And next Johnny had a strange vision... Rebecca kills Stillson... But its strange because Johnny saw the same vision but Rebecca bought a cake instead of a gun...

The first episode of the fourth season was really good but not for everybody... Johnny saved Rebecca and Stillson ; Stillson killed his father (I didnt know it was his father before this episode O_o)but a new story started... But its too bad, Johnny drops his cane, and, maybe, the chance to know more about the future...

When the apocalypse will start really ?
    On the season 3, we can see "2015" and JJ was mature... I hope Apocalypse is not in 10 years...
  • Johnny Smith had a perfect life until he was in a car crash that launched him into a 6 year coma.When he woke up he found his fiance married another man and is raising his son.He also has visions triggered by touch now he tries to live in his changed life

The Dead Zone is an awsome show, the characters are so realistic and you even start to like the bad guys. The story line is so neat, the fact that a guy with all those bad things happening to him he stays strong and asks his friend for help when things seem imposible. Anthony Michael Hall does a great job as Johnny Smith, he show the complex character with great talent. The entire cast and crew makes every great epizode a mini movie. There are some epizodes I don't like because I personally don't like the topic, but I'd nver say I hated any of them, they are awsome.I hate that USA was dund enough to cancel the show and the show that's filling it's time slot is In Plain Sight, which to me, looks weird and I wouldn't want to watch it. The Dead Zone is the best show I've ever seen.
  • good show

this is a very interesting,funny, dramatic, strong.The story begins in a small town, where John Smith lives.john smith then falls into a six years coma When John regains consciousness, he finds himself in a "new world". His fiancé is married, his mother is dead, his son doesn´t know him. But he is changed now too. By one touch, he can see fragments of past or future. John tries to use this ability to help people.Dead zone is a great tv show.Each episode has a very different case for johnny to solve,along with the help of his friends.this is a great show.
  • Awesome show! =)

I have watched Seasons 1-5 basically back to back over the past month or two, and i must say this is a great show! very interesting, and great stories! almost onto season 6, should be into that in a few days! =) looking forward to see what it has in store! i do hope they make more seasons, although it has had a great run of 6 seasons, so i wouldnt blame them if they ended it soon.

I was suprised at how good the show is considering it seems to be below the radar so to speak, it is not a show that is talked about much over here in the UK, the same as The 4400, only a select few of my friends have even heard or watched The 4400 over here! and i only heard about The Dead Zone because it was advertised during a commercial when i was watching The 4400! =)

Looking forward to Season 6 and hopefully beyond!
  • The Dead Zone is...

Awesome!!!

The Dead Zone is possibly the best show ever! When I first saw Season 1, I was awwed, but i never thought that Season 2 would be even BETTER! After Season 2 ended, I waited anxiously for Season 3. When Season 3 arrived, I loved it more than any other season so far! Soon Season 4 came, and I absolutely LOVED it! Season 5 then came, and it was the best yet again. Season 6 also ruled! I hope that this show is renewed and there will be a Season 7. Season 7 will probably be the best!!!

Scores from 1-10

Season 1 : 9.99
    Season 2 : 10.00
    Season 3 : 10.01
    Season 4 : 10.02
    Season 5 : 10.03
    Season 6 : 10.04
  • Well this show is so Good. I love it.

Well if you guys like movies where you have to gess this is a good movie and you have to watch episod to episod.I think almost everyone will like this show.this show is so good. Im not sure of what to say so im repetting it sorry hope that its ok and wanted to say Thanks.Hey im a new gurl so would you plz talk to me and help me out just a little. Well anywayz if you like mysterys then you will like this show. Well hope that you give it a try. Thanks for your time. Byz the new gurl Dstinee.
  • Silent, gentle hero, American classic.

This is really perfect show. Intelligent stories, inovative(almost movie) camera and most of all - greatly played main character - Johnny Smith. The story begins in a small town, where John Smith lives. He has "usual" perfect life, which suddenly ends by serious car accident and subsequent six years coma. When John regains consciousness, he finds himself in a "new world". His fiancé is married, his mother is dead, his son doesn´t know him. But he is changed now too. By one touch, he can see fragments of past or future. John tries to use this ability to help people, but everything is so new for him... I really like Johnny Smith. He doesn´t feel like hero, but he IS hero. He tries to help other people, but he needs help himself. He is vulnerable and fragile, but yet strong and rightful. The stories are interesting and keeping your attention all the time. I strongly recommend everyone, who didn´t see this show to begin to watch it. Higly addictive.
  • I HAD A VISION THAT YOU'LL LOVE THIS PROGRAMME.

Dead zone is a great tv show,it's all about Johnny Smith.A man who survives a car crash,but ends up in a coma.After 6 long years in a coma he wakes up,but sadly finds out his girlfriend is married to someone else.And his son doe'snt even know who he is.But that's not all,Johnny finds out that he has now got a special ability.With a sigle touch of someone he get's visions of there future or there past.So johnny decides he can use this ability to help people,which he does.The cast for this programme is no one that i have ever seen before,but works really well.Each episode has a very different case for johnny to solve,along with the help of his friends.This is a great show,and a great idea for a show.So if you have never seen Dead zone before,give it a shot as i'm now hooked on it.
  • Based on the awesome Stephen King book. This show is awesome!

USA Network's original series, the Dead Zone is based on a novel by Stephen King - which may be the best Stephen King book i have ever read. This television show, the Dead Zone, also may be one of the best television shows that I have ever seen. It is about a schoolteacher named Johnny (or John) Smith (played by Anthony Michael Hall from the Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles) who helps solve murders after receiving psychic powers after waking up from a six year coma, which he is put in after being invovled in an extremely terrible car accident after leaving his girlfriend, Sarah's house.
    Watch it! It's suspenseful and full of mystery-ness!
  • I actually liked this weeks episode, the fact that Johnny can find love with some one else besides Sara but refuses to because of the connection that they have together.

It goes to show that Casblanca was not as boring as I thought it was. With Johnny using references to this weeks show was abosolutly wonderful. What I did not like was the fact that all he seems to be saving this season are women who don't really want his help. It could just be me but who knows. Next weeks seems to be very interesting and when Sarah will realize that she in fact still has love or feelings for him. Can't wait!!
  • A great show that just keeps on coming.

This is one of my favorite TV shows but I am getting a little tired with three different recurring parts. There have been three different JJ's, three different episode beginning scenes and three different haircuts for bruce. Why can't they just stick with the original episode opener and the same JJ because honestly it is getting very very annoying. I for some reason can not post anything in the forums but I will post under reviews instead. Does anyone know what you have to do in order to be able to start a form for shows? Hope this helps you.
  • Who thought of this?

The brilliant Stephen King, of course. I was a huge fan of the book, and Christopher Walken's Johnny Smith in the movie and Anthony Michael Hall stepped right in and made Smith his own. He made me forget all about his Brat Pack years and turned the Dead Zone into a first-rate sci-fi show and slid nicely from a young, bratty actor into a fine adult star. Though I get tired of Sarah Bannerman's whining from time-to-time and am glad she is not as much the focus anymore, I AM ticked that Bruce's character seems to have disappeared. I missed three seasons and am just getting caught up again but I still enjoy this first-rate show - and I'm convinced that Walt isn't really dead...and neither is this excellent show.
  • This series is a must watch.

This is a great series. If you watch the original Steven King movie "The Dead Zone" before the series, it's even better. But just make sure that you watch the episodes from the beginning of the series so that you don't miss things that might make the remainder of the series much more enjoyable. Each season has certain things that happen (like and series) and certain things that is one of the main focuses during it. He even finds people that can do things similar to what he can do throughout the series. By the time you get to the new episodes, you get disappointed in some things, but are excited at some of the things that they are currently leading up to. Overall, this is a Must Watch series.
  • A great show that will amaze even those who hate sci-fi.

Based on the Stephen King novel by the same name, this show has managed to surpass the novel in both plot, character, and drama. What is absolutely astounding is how they have managed to take a situation (psychic powers) and make it believable without pushing the envelop too far. Unlike other shows, the writers limit themselves (and Johnny's powers). This creates better writing because they are not able use Johnny's powers to magically save the day, as has occurred on other shows with similar themes.

Anthony Michael Hall has come along way from his role as the nerd in the 80s Brat Pack. Few actors could manage the challenging role of Johnny Smith. The other members of the cast are also remarkable, but Hall is truly amazing.
  • This show I feel could be the most underrated show in TV history. I think the main thing holding it back is its heavy religious undertones. Hard to be a runaway hit these days with so many people trying to keep religion under raps.

Johnny is a character who gains supernatural powers through a car accident induced coma, and takes us on a hero's journey though life. Everyone he touches becomes entangled in his life and his need to help all because of his new powers is endearing. A very brilliant writer came up with the lines "with great power comes great responsibility.", this is no truer than in this series. Early on in the series Johnny is stuck trying to help friends and random people within his community only to gather a cult following and then become swept up into politics and a vast world that he was neither prepared to enter nor did he have a great desire to do so. He is thrust in to this due to a vision of the apocalypse in which most of his acquaintances are involved. Hopefully in what is rumored to be the last season we'll see exactly how the series plays out and won't be left with a huge cliffhanger only to be speculated as to what really happens (See How Soprano's Ended)
  • This is really a great show.

This show is extremely under-rated, the story maintains a very similar feel to that of the Stephen King book, also know as the Dead Zone.

The basic story is this, Johnny Smith is madly in love with a woman named Sara, the night he makes love to her and concieves a child, he is in a near fatal car crash.

Six years pass and Johnny suddonly wakes up, but finds that 6 years have passed and Sara is now married to another man and his son don't know who he is.

But thats not all thta has changed for Johnny he now has a strange power with one touch, he sees things thta will happen and things that have happened. Th first season focuses heavily on Johnny tryig reconnect with the world. By the end of the first season, Johnny sees an alful future for the world, when he shakes hands with a politican who nis going to bw the next president. The question is can Johnny change history so this man can't come to power? This is a fantastic show that is well written the only problem is they don't make enough episodes each season.
  • Wonderful show! The season doesn't have enough episodes! More, More, More!

Great show! I wish they had a normal season with as many episodes. Anthony Michael Hall has come a very long way from "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club". Although he portrayed such a wonderful and believable geek back then, he has turned into quite a hunk. He is still a very talented actor and I would watch anything he starred in. Also, Sean Patrick Flannery "Powder" and "The Young Indiana Jones" is superb as the evil congressman. I've seen everything he has starred in (even the bit parts). He is an awesome actor as well. This is a must see show. If not for the great writing, then for the gorgeous hunky men! Too bad they don't have work out, or after a shower scenes. I'd love to see there bare chests! (hint, hint to writers)
  • A man has accident, then is in comma for size years. He wakes up to have his fiance married to another man and his son calling someone else dad. The most important part of the show is Johnny now have forsight when ever he touches material things.

In each episode explain his gift and how he uses it for good. The whole show is base on a bigger plot how johnny see the end of the world and tried to figure out what he is seeing and prevent it. There are only about ten episodes per season. Each season about 50% of the shows are regarding the bigger plot the rest are filler shows. The heartwarming shows where he catches a mean person before he does more mean things.

I really love the detail of the show and A.M.Hall is awesome. I enjoy the plot about the end of the world shows. The filler shows are awesome. The one with the native american in the cave is one of my favorites. The only thing I would like to see is more interaction with Johnny and his son AJ. Bring AJ more into the story lines. A quite making sara such a gimp.

Overall, I just wish there were more episodes per season and USA would promote the show more. I did notice that ABC has picked up episodes to air after Oprah at the 2am timeslot.
  • great show so far(Im only at the beginning but its very promising)

Ive just started watching this show-Im half way through season 1 and on the strength of a few really good shows, Im downloading season 2. I understand(to my present delight) that the show is now in its 5th season-hooray!
    I am a big fan of the book that the programs characters are taken from and a huge fan of Steven Kings characters in general. However, despite Mr Kings incredible talent for creating wonderful stories as well as complex, loveable and familiar characters, he sometimes(only SOMEtimes, I hasten to add) falls a little short on his endings. I dont know how much input he has with the show that has resurected the man which Christopher Walken so brilliantly personified but I hope the episodes continue to avert the cheese element all-to-often present in long running shows, as it nears its conclusion. Until then, I have a LOT of catching up to do, a task I am sure I will relish.
  • spooky meets cool

The Dead Zone is yet another fantasic show shot in Vancouver, British Columbia. The actors on the show work great together (however, it would be nice to see more talent picked from the vancouver talent pool). Vancouver is the best location for this genre of show. It lends the show that dark, mysterious feeling. The rain, the abandoned wherehouses, the ocean .. the list goes on. The city is perfect 'cause it offers any show the beaty and wealth of places like Bowen Island, shaunassy, british properties to the streets of the east side or the train tracks at lower lonsdale. The Dead zone is a great show (made from a great movie - chris walkin)
  • Mystical, Dramatic, Terrific

I didn't start watching this show from the beginning. It just didn't seem to be something I'd like. Boy, I could kick myself now, since I've found out the show is so terrific. I have been viewing the re-runs and watching the new episodes, and I find that this is truly an amazing show. Really great job done by the cast, crew, writers and directors. The situations are intense and dramatic, the magical/mystical bent is incredible. And well, who would have thought that Anthony Michael Hall would have turned into such a babe? I'm definately looking forward to more seasons and even better episodes. Well Done, I can't wait for more!!!
< 1 2 3 4