The Dead Zone

USA (ended 2007)

Gislef

The Dead Zone Fan Reviews page 2 of 4

• just started watching show, but hooked

I like this show because it seems so simple, with a small cast and seemingly simple plot lines, but it can be intricate, and interesting the way the different episodes happen. I have only watched season one on DVD and just started out with season two, so I wonder if the interest will continue. However, given that the show has been picked up for the sixth season has to be saying a lot about it's potential. Nice work, writers of the show. May your imaginations continue to come up with great plots and I imagine that I will be watching all six seasons eventually.
  • Time Travel/Future/Fate/Destiny - I love this stuff.

From the very beginning this show has managed to make me love its main character, “believe” its plot and care about the future of all involved. These things are key for any show, but somehow The Dead Zone has done that better than most shows before it. Giving Johnny the ability and responsibility to prevent and solve crimes and other potential tragedies is enough to keep any science fiction fan interested. However, this show has managed to package with it creative writing and an actor who can bring you along for the duration of the series with as much empathy is possible. This is a great work for a network television show and even better for a cable channel.
  • This show is like no other. It gets you to ask yourself, what would you do if you could see someone's fate.

After waking from his coma, caused by a car crash, John Smith discovers that he now has the ability to see when someone is going to die. If he comes into contact with someone or something touched by someone that is going to die, John gets visions, and with them he will do all he can to save them. He even puts his life in danger in many cases.

There has never been any other show that is like DZ. The stories always bring viewers back. They have a great cast, that bring their characters to life, and twists that always keeps the viewers on the edge of their seats. And what makes the show really great, is that John can't always save them, it makes the stories more real. Unlike some show that have a 100% save rate, so you always know what to expect.

I do think though, that this show would be even better if they would have Full seasons of 22 episodes, so they could draw out some of the stories. Sometimes it feels like they try to rush the mythology. Plus they could introduce more characters and sub-plots. But none the less, it is a great show.
  • Loved it from the beginning.

I read the Steven King novel this show is based on and the show lives up to the book. I thought the book was exciting and I was glad to hear they were making a show on it. I've loved the show since the beginning. I find it very interesting, and I think it would be kind of cool to be able to see things in my mind like that. Be able to try and change the future so bad things don't happen. But it would also be very hard I think to choose what you could do that something worse doesn't happen. Like in the bank where that guys holding it up and Johnny is trying different scenarios to make it all turn out for the best. So Sara doesn't die, and that no one else get's hurt.

But that would suck if you woke up from that long of a coma to see the one you love married to someone else. Them having a child you think is the other persons, and then you come to realize he's your son. Then having all these strange visions of things to come. That you don't know what's going on. But you might be able to save some lives along the way which would be pretty cool. I just love the concept of the show/book. I can't wait to see what happens this comming season.
  • A really interesting series!

I read a lot of Stephen King, from "The Stand", "It", and "Misery", but I never have the opportunity to read The Dead Zone. Well, after watching some episodes of this series I am certainly going to read the novel whatever, because this series is really cool! For what I know, the original novel is about a man that falls into a coma and when he wakes up he discovers he has the power to see when people are dying, and at some point, he sees a governor that is going to cause a massive destruction and tries to kill him. Well imagine this, but without the destruction! This series just keeps getting better and better, and I think that it is a great adaptation of Stephen King's work, I love this series so much, and I think that this is one of those series that you are not going to go just let pass, because it is really interesting.
  • A Usa Favorite- But I feel as if the whole end of the world crisis keeps getting put on hold. It is only dealt with in premiere epsisodes along with finales. We also need to see someone special in "Johhny's" life to put a little insight on his l

7.3
    Following a car crash that leaves him in a coma for six years, Johnny Smith awakens to find that he has the gift/curse of second sight. With the assistance of friend Bruce Lewis, average-citizen Johnny usually gets pulled into mysteries he's only able to help authorities solve because of his newfound ability -- which, by the way, Bruce remained skeptical about for years. Johnny's former wife, Sarah, married the town sheriff after being told her husband would never wake up; having been pregnant with their child when the car accident happened, Sarah is now raising her and Johnny's son with husband Walt. Thankfully, Walt and Johnny have formed an unlikely alliance -- and Johnny helps Walt with his police business as often as possible. Based on the Stephen King novel.

BRIEF HISTORY:USA picked up the project after the network it was orginally developed for -- UPN -- passed on it. It's rumored that "The Dead Zone" is one of Jack Nicholson's favorite TV programs. STARS: * John Adams as Bruce Lewis * Chris Bruno as Walt Bannerman * Anthony Hall as Johnny Smith * David Stiers as Reverend Gene Purdy * Nicole de Boer as Sarah Bracknell
  • " You should see what i see "

The Dead Zone is my most fave show of all time nothing else i watch comes close to the passion i feel for this show as a avid fan of the author Stephen King i think the producers have done a top rate job of sticking to the character Mr King created and by doing this have my upmost respect,
    I can not say that i have ever seen a poor episode of The Dead Zone they have all been on the ball,
    One of the things i like About The Dead Zone is the way the camera moves when John has a vision and the actual visual effects they create to go wih these sequences are absolutley stunning a feast for your eyes..
  • One of my all time favorites!

I have watched this show since it first aired and rarely have I missed an episode. It's nice to see that for once a person didn't get dunked in toxic chemicals as a way of developing a power and I love how the character, John Smith, uses his visions to try to help someone. He'll do what he can to save others lives, if it's within his ability to do so. Other times, he'll help solve a crime and help capture the criminal. I really love this show and am hoping that it will be back for a sixth season.
  • Interesting and fun to watch!

I love this show. I had had too much coffee and couldn't sleep one night and there was an episode on after an SVU at like three in the morning. I watched it and soon was hooked. I love the twist to crime solving Johnny puts on it. I alos found it was really funny that his name was Johnny Smith. I mean come on, that is one of the most common names in the country. I saw the movie and it was really good, and it makes the whole show make more sense. I like how he always will help a complete stranger if he sees that they are going to be in danger. And it doesn't hurt that he is tall, blonde and super handsome. I love blone guys, and Anthony Michael Hall is very hot. But that's not the onyl reason I watch the show, I just love how it has you on the edge of your seat the whole time. It is a great show and I hope it goes on for many more years.
  • Johnny Smith went into a coma. When he woke up, he had pscyic powers. He can touch someone/ something and see things. The future mostly!

7.9
    My friends and I like this show alot. We use to all squeeze in my apartment every sunday and crowed around the tv just for Dead Zone. It started off as a really great, original show. Now I think it is going down hill. It seems like they are running out of ideas for new shows. Don't get me wrong, still a show worth watching, but anything that has to do with that Stillson guy doesn't keep my attention. I hope the show keeps running and they come up with bigger and better ideas. But it might be smart to end it now or at least be done with the Stillson crap!
  • while i love this show with all my heart, it's not what it used to be.

i am in love with this show! it's like such an awesome show. but...ah...i don't know what to say!

michael anthony hall is such a good actor. he's totally shed his geeky image, and he's grown as an actor, and as a person, i think, with this role.

i love this concept, that this guy's life totally changes, when nobody even thinks he'll live. like, ya know, he comes out of a coma, after, what, 6 years, and he's got crazy psychic visions. and his fiancee or however you spell that is married to someone else and raising their kid. and his mom is dead! so sad.

aw. but i think...this show used to be so incredible in seasons 1 - 3. and maybe like the season 4 premiere. then, it just all went downhill....

i really really really want them to wrap up the Armageddon angle in a believeable way. i want there to be no cliffhangers, no doubts. everything needs to be understood.

Purdy is evil. it's interesting having a shifty minister, and a good-hearted psychic. and they're friends, kinda. So i like that angle. i just wish that the whole premise of the show were a little bit more unique. instead of, just another unique character helping the police solve perplexing crimes. it's like, how stupid is the police department in every city? i mean it's kinda like the same thing over and over again - john doe, monk, the dead zone, medium, psych, veronica mars (sort of),the closer, bones...am i, and is anyone else, seeing a pattern here? unique characters bringing their "special skills" to fight for justice and help the police solve crimes...how original!

i guess one storyline i really really liked was how for once, people kinda started asking questions about a case that johnny helped solve. the one with Rachel's murder ya know. he was charged with her murder. and it was kind of suspicious that he couldn't remember where he was during the time she was killed, and how he had met with her like the day before or whatever. and it was really great seeing the character in a position he couldn't really get himself out of. he helped solve parts of the case, that only the killer could help the police with, and for that, he was booked for murder. mmm...it was like, helping the police got him into more trouble. i really liked that plotline. and the fact the Greg Stillson is such a freakishly crooked politician? it's like wow. no shame there. he definitely takes on the classic role of the untrustworthy political figure, and unfortunately, he's well-loved by the public. which is also an interesting conflict for johnny.

i loved sarah wynter's role on the show. i really liked her and johnny together. but then she had to go and get all crazy. dang. i kinda understand where she's coming from tho, cuz after all, her sister was murdered. and the twist with that case, was that it was greg stillson's father who had her killed. and then Greg stillson turned around and killed his own father. haha. kinda unintentionally funny.
    anyway, sarah wynter had a somewhat similar role on 24, where her sister was at the heart of a plot to detonate a nuclear bomb in the city of Los Angeles. in both cases, she had to see what ultimately was, the end of her sister's life, in one case literally, in the other, figuratively, but could also be literally i think. haha. that's what i get for trying to sound smart!

this show...didn't used to be so corny. i guess, for lack of a better word. i mean, look at the episode that aired july 30, 2006. that one? that was cheesy. so so cheesy. i mean, interesting plot line, i guess? but it's like, the writers are really obsessed with a certain twisted part of johnny's psychic abilities. like how he was sort of stuck in one vision, and seeing three people's lives at once. i mean, pretty interesting i guess. but the execution was so awful! and what in the world was up with bruce?? he looked...stupid! and i love bruce! he's awesome! normally...

it's just that...every episode besides the armageddon story line, seems to just be a filler episode. i hate those! it needs to be good. it needs to make me say, "forget armageddon! this is much better!!!!" and there's like, no other episodes that do that past season 3.

i really hope that this show can redeem itself in its final episodes. it would be so sad for it to get on stage, take a bow, then while walking off stage, slip on a banana peel. if you know what i mean.
  • A guy gets power from being in a coma.

I don't remember this show as well as I would like, but I do remember how much I wanted to see it every week a long time ago. (like that being a few years) But I do remember how when ever he touched someone he could see what they were about to endure or what had already happened! And he helped the cops by using his powers. I remembered one episode that scared me when I was younger because he went back into the girls memory or something and saw the killer! That just scared me to imagion that!
  • Amazing show. One of a kind.

This show is about John Smith, an original name, who was in a car accident, a deep coma, and when awaken, has psychic abilities. He can see the future, past, present, and uses these foresights to help the people he sees. The show has great story lines and sometimes beautiful women. My favorite was the first time he had sex with his new powers. He kept seeing all kinds of people. It was hilarious. Sometimes you are on the edge of your seat with anticipation, and other times you are on the floor laughing. This show is great and should definitly stay on as long as possible. It might be more fun to watch if you watch it from the begining.
  • WOW!!!!

The Dead Zone was one of my favorite movies with Christopher Walken, but I think Anthony Micheal Hall is a great replacement but that might be because I'm more used to Anthony Micheal Hall. The show is nothing like the movie, it's better. Johnny is rich, Johnny hangs out with his caretaker, Johnny has a kid, and Stilson is running for president right away and not for senator. I'm very curious if Johnny is going to do what he did in the movie to Stilson or if he's going to stop him in a different way, (Hopefully it won't be as sad, don't want to spoil ending.) This is a classic adaption of the 1980's hit. I'm just curious to how much longer the show will last, because how long can one man run for president. All in all I love this show.
  • The Dead Zone is an American science fiction/suspense series starring Anthony Michael Hall as Johnny Smith, who discovers he has developed psychic abilities after a coma.

Small-town teacher Johnny Smith is involved in a car accident that leaves him comatose for six years. After regaining consciousness, Johnny begins having visions of the past and future triggered by touching items or people; doctors attribute the visions to a previously unused "dead zone of his brain" that originates from an ice-hockey accident in his childhood and has taken over for the portions injured in the accident. Johnny also learns that his fiancée, Sarah, has married the local sheriff, but that Johnny is the father of her son.

With the help of Sarah, her husband Walt and physical therapist Bruce, Johnny begins using his abilities to help solve crimes. However, his visions include glimpses of apocalyptic events brought on by the election of congressional candidate Greg Stillson.

• The Dead Zone is the story of Jon Smith, a school teacher who gets into a car accident and a coma. When he wakes up he has psychic powers and starts helping his ex-fiances husband solve crimes, but soon he finds a more important thing to stop. ARMAGEDDON.

This show is the best show on television. It has all you want in a show, comedy, drama, romance and AMH!!!! With the reviews its getting and all the viewers getting hooked on in no time this will become one of the best shows on television in the U.S. of A. DZ ROX!!!!
  • Definately a good one!

This show is a great show to follow the truly remarkable 4400! These two show is what makes Sunday Nights the best on Cable Television. In fact, I would probably watch more broadcast television if they had shows like this on it. The special effects are quite phenomenal for a Cable show and the story line and plot keep you hooked till the credits roll. However, there are a few quirks, for example, when John flipped the police cruiser over and the guy in the trunk came out with no serious injuries. Also, the way each episode is just kind of it's own story and really doesn't link up with any of the rest. The positives though out weigh the quirks which is why I say this show is a must see!
  • Great show!

The show about Johnny Smith, who discovers he has developed psychic abilities after a coma. Johnny begins having visions of the past and future triggered by touching items or people. Johnny uses his psychic abilities to per vent to help solve crimes and to save the lifes of people who die in his visions of the future. The Dead Zone is a great show and I hope it keeps up the great episodes. Although sometimes Johnny isn't able to per vent all of the visions that he has but for the most part he does a great good. I just hope the series doesn't start to do weird story lines. Although their have been some bad episodes, but most of them have been great. So overall its a great show.
  • hooked from the start

this is without a doubt one of my favorite shows. i hear this is the last season. that is a real bummer. i had always hoped that christoper walken might make a guest appearance. i think this show has been a real shot in the arm to michael anthony hall's career. one thing i hope to see revealed is the apocalypse story line.
  • The Dead Zone great series that have all the elements to make an excellent drama and great sucess.

This my first reviews in this website but here I go.
    The Dead Zone is remake of an excellent movie turn out that in a series would be great.The trama is an orihinal both capturing elements of drama and action at the same time.The visual effects are top notch and they look perfect.From vision that he have on first episode to explonding finally of the last season and captivading twist to the plot that have develop for quite some time.

Acting:in terms of acting every one did great job an especially the main characters that capturre the person that he pretending to be perfecly.The only complain that I have in the acting that some time the story is well adapted but some characters they don\'t capture the magic like the others.

Visual effects:the visual effects are great and they look perfect.From the first episode to the last they kept coming better and better.Wgen they stop time they are very careful to don\'t seem like it is fake.The visual effects look great and they don\'t any work because there fine the way they.

Story:The story is based on old movie that the name I dont remember but he is the mad scientist that appears in click.The story is the best part of series because it make you keep coming for more.This time around the conflicts is that this guy will make judgement day happend or as other people say the end of day.If the series still goes with the movie main character will die but when he touch the guy who will make the judgement day happend it turn out day he will comit suicide and judgement day never happend.

Overall:is great series that has capture the imagination of millions and will continue happening until the end.Thanks for reading my review good day and good luck.
  • Great show!

Anthony Michael Hall revived his sagging career with this guilty pleasure
    Playing Johnny Smith, an ordinary guy, a science teacher with a loving fiance and just loves kids.
    But fate intervenes when he is in a coma after a car wreck
    His life changes as his fiance is now married with a son
    Mother has also passed away
    Now knowing he ain't the same man he used ot be
    He is filled with physic powers and can read peoples' minds
    Very great show and will miss after the 2006-2007 season!
  • The good and the bad, though more good than bad.

I only discovered this show a couple months ago (I'm slow sometimes ;-)) and i have to say I really like it. Now... it's not as good as Medium, though in a lot of ways it can be seen as one of its predecessors. But, I'm not here to compare the two shows. I'm here to talk about what I like and/or dislike about this show.

I like the premise... a guy who has had to activate a previously unused area of his brain to survive. A side effect are the visions. This is a good idea, one you'd expect from Stephen King.
    The show is well acted and the writing is quite adequate as well. I say adequate, as some things kind of annoy me.

So... in my opinion... the bad:
    The episodes are sometimes episodic...as in, they can be seen as standalone stories. The bad part is the sometimes... there is one story which has been present throughout most of the series... and that is stillson and the fact that he would somehow cause the end of the world.
    I like series which have a larger storyline... but this is getting to be a bit much.... bring this storyline to a close already!!!

Having said that, I do really like this show, and I give it a definite thumbs up. Especially for the summer months.
  • A really great TV show for everyone who likes sci-fi, drama and even comedy mixed together in a story about a man with psychic powers.

I think the trailer of the TV shows sums it really nicely up:
    "I had the perfect life. Until I was in a coma for six years. And then I woke up and found my fiancé married to another man. My son doesn't know who I am.
    Everything is changed. Including me. One touch and I can see things. Things that happend. Things that will happen."

The man who's talking this? Johnny Smith! Science teacher, nice and joyfull, almost an average guy - besides that after a car accident and six years of coma his Dead Zone - a part of the brain normal people doesn't use - becomes very much alive. Which turns Johnny into an extraordinary psychic.

His psychic abilities are really cool. He is surely the king of psychics. No blurry visions, no strange dreams that are hard to interpret - what he sees in his visions when he touches stuff or people is crystal clear. And he is never wrong.

But preventing crime, tragedy, catastrophes and even the apocalypse is not easy, especially as Johnnys's own life is full of trouble. His former fiancé, Sarah, married another man (Sheriff Walt Bannermann), while Johnny was in coma. They are raising Johnny's son, JJ. Rev. Gene Purdy, a preacher and also the trustee of Johnny's money, has a lot of skeletons in the closet, too. And Greg Stillson, a unscrupulous politician, is a mighty enemy and somehow involved in the future Armageddon.

If this sounds complicated - well, it is! But that's what makes the TV show so interesting!

• Can be confusing

This show stats off good and is really easy to follow but at as it gets on gets quite confusing with jonny and a man wich turns out to be jonny but is not and thay can only meen in one place in time.

jonny has accendent wich put him in acomer for 6 years and than wakes up after the docters say basically that he has no chjance in hell. when he wakes up he ha sthe power to see into the future or the past( wich again can get confusing) depending on what he tooches.

if you get confused easily than i suggest that you do not watch this program.
  • The Dead Zone really needs a lot more credit than what it's been given.

This show keeps you satisfied and very rarely disappoints. In my opinion this is the best scifi/drama show ever. This is the best show since 'Quantum Leap' as it follows a similar theme. Both shows have two completely different stories but both Johnny and Sam have information about the future that needs to be changed for the better and sometimes the decisions they make can change things drastically. The Dead Zone has humour, excellent drama and terrific science fiction stories that bring all three elements together. We see Johnny lose people he cares about along the way as we learn even he can't save everybody but Johnny makes it his mission to stop Greg Stillson as the first vision of armaggedon surfaces.
  • why i love it and why aren't people watching it?

The Dead Zone is a great show. I mean imagine a teacher who gets in a car accident and gets superpowers. HOw awesome is that. This is a great show that no one watches and it just kills me that if no one watches this summer the show will be cancelled. you hear that people you got to get out there and watch.
  • A schoolteacher is in an accident that changes his life forever.

Johnny Smith is an ordinary Maine schoolteacher who has a pretty good life. He has a great job and a wonderful girlfriend. Then, one night, he is hit head-on by a mack truck and left comatose. Six years later, Johnny awakes to a changed world: his girlfriend is married to another man, his mother is dead, he has a son who dosen't know him, and he has gained the gift of second sight. His doctor explains that his brain's "dead zone" has turned on to handle the work of his damaged brain areas. In the book, however, the dead zone is described by Johnny as the parts of his brain, that were damaged, that contained the information that he can't recall. With his new gifts, Johnny tries to right the wrongs that he sees. Even though his life is different, he tries to make a new one.
  • This is very plausible, given the fact we do only use so much of our brain

I have always liked the idea of this show, since we do not use some of our brain, (and this is scientifically proven) and there has been a few people come back from what a doctor called nearly brain dead. (one being a close friend of mine)

I want more seasons!!
  • Definately a good show.

7.2
    I'll have to admit that I haven't see this show in a while - not one episode from this past season - so I speak to how it is currently doing. However, I have enjoyed all of the episodes from the first couple of seasons. This show is definately a good one to watch.
  • A very good show that shows that foresight isn't always the best.

I really enjoy this show. I thought it was going down hill in the third season, but the fourth season brought it back up again.

What I like the most about this show is how John Smith tries to fix things that he sees in his visions, and many times it causes another bad chain of events to happen. It leaves the viewer wondering along with John what the best course of action should be.
1 2 3 4