The Dead Zone

Speak Now

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 01, 2004 on USA

• A great character development episode, with one little flaw

I love character development episodes, and so one of my first impressions of this episode was that I liked it. I liked how the relationships between Johnny, Sarah, and Walt were affected by having to make choices for another couple who were almost exactly like them.

In that sense, I really liked this ep. However...

Truthfully, I spent most of the ep being confused. The reason I was confused is simple - I didn't realize until about 3/4 of the way through the episode that the very first scene (of Johnny saying "I object") was a vision of the future, and not something that actually happened.

See, I thought that the first scene was of Johnny saying he objected at the wedding, followed by a flashback to Johnny shaking hands with the groom and realizing that there was some reason to object. Then, in the next scene, Sarah asks him why he would object (further cementing my assumption that they were referring to something Johnny had done), and Johnny says he doesn't know, but he sounded really certain. So I thought maybe he'd had a different kind of vision than usual, and something had been speaking through him when he objected, and he didn't really understand why.

Then they started talking about the wedding in the future tense. That's when I started to be confused. But I rationalized that they'd referred to the rehearsal dinner, so maybe he'd objected at the wedding rehearsal.

But nobody was giving him any kind of evil eye for objecting even at the rehearsel. Everybody was behaving perfectly normally towards him.

So, yeah. I spent a good part of the episode being very confused, because the very first scene wasn't clear about what was the present and what was the past or the future.

But I really did like the character development aspect of this episode, which is usually what makes or breaks an episode for me, so I'm still giving the ep high marks, but they would have been even higher if there hadn't been that one little problem.