The Defenders (1961)

CBS (ended 1965)

The Defenders (1961) Fan Reviews (3)

7.2
  • One of the all-time greats

A remarkable example of the "prime-time parables of the New Frontier" that graced the Air waves from about 1960( The second season of Naked City) to 1965, when Slattery's People was canceled for good. This series was magnificent. Almost ever episode was brilliantly written and the show itself tackled complex and troubling moral and social issues. It won-and deserved four emmies. E.G. Marshall was wonderful as Lawrence Preston, and Robert Reed ( who unfortunatly is best known for The Brady Bunch) played his son. Some of TV and Hollywoods greatest stars got their start appearing on this show, including Dustin Hoffman. I wish one could find it on DVD. 9( Incidentally, the episode The Swo0rn Twelve was directed by Michael Powell. Yes, folks, THAT Michael Powell.)
  • Not exactly a bad way to past time. Although I have had more enjoyable moments.

Not exactly a bad way to past time. Although I have had more enjoyable moments. The Defenders does have its high points although I certainly wished there were more of them. It left me bored not long after I was exposed to it and that certainly is not saying something entirely positive about it. Nonetheless, it is very well packaged so a 7 rating I feel is very fair.
  • This is the best legal drama ever, and that's saying something.

After looking for this series for years, I was able to find it on sell.com. 30 some odd episodes and not a dud in the bunch. I am currently in school with the goal of becoming an attorney. I am fifty years old. Lawrence Preston is my favorite TV attorney, PERIOD. Above Perry Mason, Eugene Young, (The Practice), Alan Shore (Boston Legal), and dare I say... Denny Crane (Boston Legal), my namesake ;-) This series, in my opinion is the best courtroom drama ever made. Sometimes the entire episode takes place in the courtroom. Some of the guest stars include; William Shatner, Jack Klugman, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, and a nine-year old Richard Thomas (The Waltons). Admittedly, I am a courtroom drama junkie, and "The Defenders" is the best I have seen thus far. Period.