The Dick Van Dyke Show

A Farewell to Writing

Aired Unknown Sep 22, 1965 on CBS

• Rob gets a copy of a friends published novel. Rob, now feeling slightly ashamed of his own procrastination, sets off in a guilty panic and attempts to write the novel he keeps putting off to tomorrow.

Again, another episode that showcases Dick Van Dyke's considerable talent.
    Stuck in a cabin with only his imagination as company, Rob procrastinates, fooling around doing everything except write!
    Dick Van Dyke shows us all the reason's we love his character Rob, as he plays paddle ball with the genuine innocence of a child, pretends to be a hardened cowboy in a quick draw (much to his painful demise!).

He again makes us laugh out loud with his natural ability to paint a vivid picture with few props, Dick Van Dyke's strength is in his mime skill and bodily gestures! Each part is a minor little bit of a greater whole! The gags come rat-a-tat-tat and never fail to elicit a grin to a guffaw!
    His Walter Mitty-esque cowboy bit is worth seeing alone!

The only thing that steals the .5 off the perfect score is that, while not entirely a bad thing, for the most part this episode is completely a Rob episode. Apart from the woodsman, the only main characters appearing are Laura and Millie. Even though I understand Rob is on vacation, it is an odd episode, having so few actors, especially regulars.

That being said, it is a Dick Van Dyke showcase and the writing and acting is superb and hilarious. This is a classic episode.