The Dick Van Dyke Show

Big Max Calvada

Aired Unknown Nov 20, 1963 on CBS

• The writers are forced to write an act for a gangster's nephew.

An episode that made me smile and laugh throughout. An intimidating gangster, Big Max Calvada played by the great Sheldon Leonard (in a wonderfully understated role) and his associate visit Rob, Sally and Buddy (the "gang") and requests they write an act for his nephew.

Calvada's associate reaches into his jacket pocket – and quickly Rob, Sally and Buddy hit the floor thinking it was … well, you know. In reality, he was reaching for a notepad and pencil to take notes of the meeting. The gang discusses out loud the reasons why not to take the job – and for each reason, Big Max comes up with an answer. They reluctantly agree. Very funny.

They meet the boy – and he's terrible. Big Max wants to know when the act will be ready, as he preparing for the boy to appear in a top-rated nightclub as the headliner took sick – next week. The gang says they need more time, and so Big Max says the headliner can get sick in two weeks.

They attend the nightclub act, and the gang laughs at everything possible as the boy is terrible. All through, the gang is sweating out the act, thinking they're going to "get it".

A super story, a great ending and Rob acts out his fear of the gangster to great effect.

Not to be missed. (Man, I envy people who've not seen this show and watch it for the first time!)

By the way, there appears to be an Easter Egg on this disc (Season 3, Disc 2) with a recent intro by Dick on Nick at Night talking about great comedy shows – about one minute, but I couldn't find it in the menu – and haven't been able to find it again. If you do, let me know.