Buddy and Mel

tvking1

[1]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 42
    Poor Mel! He has to listen to Alan Brady's insults and degrading criticism all day, and then whenever he enters Rob's office, he has to listen to Buddy's insults. I remember one episode in which Rob and Sally were asking Buddy why he's always insulting Mel, and Buddy said it was because Mel was tall, and some other reason. Buddy was very funny, and his insults were funny too, and the show wouldn't have been the same without him or his wisecracking. Still, you've got to feel for poor Mel, working for his creepy brother-in-law while listening to Buddy's bald jokes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MTMFan

[2]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 11
    tvking1 wrote:
    Poor Mel! He has to listen to Alan Brady's insults and degrading criticism all day, and then whenever he enters Rob's office, he has to listen to Buddy's insults. I remember one episode in which Rob and Sally were asking Buddy why he's always insulting Mel, and Buddy said it was because Mel was tall, and some other reason. Buddy was very funny, and his insults were funny too, and the show wouldn't have been the same without him or his wisecracking. Still, you've got to feel for poor Mel, working for his creepy brother-in-law while listening to Buddy's bald jokes.

Yeah, poor Mel! I'm sure working for Alan was no picnic even WITHOUT Buddy. On the other hand, Mel could be too serious sometimes, so I don't really blame Buddy for insulting him. Plus, Buddy's a comedy writer, that's what he's trained to do, come up w/ jokes. What always bugged me about Mel is that they never made it clear HOW he was Alan's brother-in-law, I mean, who was married to whose sister? There were conflicting stories given in different eps, though I can't recall specifically offhand.

tvking1

[3]Sep 8, 2007
    I think I might have heard on the show that Mel was married to Alan's sister, but I'm not absolutely certain. In one episode, Mel hears Alan talking in his sleep or something about a woman and mentions her name, and Mel tells Rob, Buddy and Sally that Alan's wife's name is something else. Since Mel refers to Alan's wife as "Alan's wife", that would seem to indicate that Alan's wife is not Mel's sister. But I'll see if I can find out for certain.

millerem99

[4]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 51

Mel was such a kiss-up. I think that that is why Buddy delighted in picking on him.

I wonder how the actor, Richard Deacon, felt about being typecast in those stuffy, pompous roles (like Fred Rutherford in Leave it to Beaver)?

tvking1

[5]Sep 18, 2007

There are a few things about Richard Deacon that I found rather surprising: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Deacon_%28actor%29. Also here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0212586/.

millerem99

[6]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 51

Never would have guessed some of those...

nor did I have any clue how many, many roles he had over the course of his career.

tvking1

[7]Sep 18, 2007

Now it's Buddy's turn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morey_Amsterdam, and

www.imdb.com/name/nm0025440/bio.

Morey Amsterdam was a pioneer in television following a distingushed radio career, back when radio was much like TV is today, with real programs and series, many of which were turned into familiar TV series. It's also worth mentioning that he was married to the same woman for 54 years until his death in 1996. I wonder if she was anything like Pickles.

BuskieBoy

[8]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 22
    They actually kind of screwed up the relationship between Mel and Alan. In one episode they say that Mel's sister married Alan, but in another they switch it around and say Mel' married Alan's sister.

tvking1

[9]Sep 26, 2007
    Some series that have been in production for a few years are notorious for their lack of continuity, but that's a pretty big switch. Either those episodes had different teams of writers, or the producers changed the relationship on purpose. Why, I don't know.

BuskieBoy

[10]Sep 26, 2007
    This isn't the only "error in continuity" either. Laura's maiden name was both "Meehan" and "Meeker" at times. I'm not even sure if they bothered to hire continuity people. Even modern shows today, like Friends, King Of Queens etc. have continuity issues as well, which is odd it should happen today because they watch for those kind of things now.

I think a lot of it stems from early television being based on single episode philosophy. Back then they didn't really have set writing teams per se, especially on shows like DVD or other sitcoms. Many times a script would be submitted by outside writers. The DVD Show alone had 39 writers, most of which were freelance, which was the norm for most television shows. Some early comedians had a few core staff writers, like Milton Berle, Jackie Gleeson, Sid Caesar etc. but those shows didn't have to worry about continuity. Continuity was something new to television I think.

Plus I don't think they paid that much attention to small background stuff. Not that they didn't care but I don't think they realised just how much everyone would love the show and how much of a cult following it would have decades later! I'm sure they thought it would be fun and laughs and then onto other stuff.

MTMFan

[11]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 11
    Laura's maiden name was not a mistake. It was Meeker originally b/c at the time, Mary Tyler Moore was married to Richard Meeker in real life. When they got divorced, Laura's maiden name mysteriously became Meehan. So at least THAT one had a logical reason. LOL

BuskieBoy

[12]Oct 19, 2007
    Huh, I had never heard that explaination before! Who says you can't learn new things on tv.com? That's cool, because at least now it's not a lazy dumb mistake.

I'm surprised they would have even bothered to use her real married name for the show.

drwoowoocl

[13]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 10
    Well, Mel was such a stickler and a tight butt, you feel like he has it coming to him.

drwoowoocl

[14]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 10
    The continuity issue is pretty interesting. In the first episode of The Andy Griffith Show, there is a line about how Barney got the deputys job, which suggests that Barney got the job because he is Andys cousin, yet the supposed relationship is never mentioned again for the remainder of the series. Ive heard since that it was simply a throwaway bit, just for comedic purposes. As for the relationship between Mel and Alan, I dont think the writers really paid that much attention to it, since Mel was just a minor character, and Alan Brady wasnt even seen until the show had been on for a while. Ive always kind of assumed that it was Mel that married Alans sister, because that would make Mel seem more like he was riding Alans coattails and give Alan more of a reason to push Mel around.

tvking1

[15]Oct 21, 2007

Sometimes continuity issues result from mistakes, other times not. On The Lucy Show, for instance, the setting completely changed in the middle of its run, but that was intentional.

On the other side, everyone knows about Happy Days and the "Chuck Cunningham syndrome". As for single episode writing, that might have been the case with Gunsmoke. I've gone into a few of those issues on that show's forum. Also, if you add up all its episodes into one saga, Matt Dillon must have killed about 500 or more people. That would surely get the attention of the Attorney General and other interested parties.

PJudith

[16]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 2

Mel Cooley was so darned funny! His feud with Buddy was hilarious. I always got the impression that both men secretly enjoyed trading insults. Buddy had a ready made target for all his one-liners. And Mel had a safety valve to vent his frustrations. I mean, he couldn't blow up at his boss Alan Brady. But he could let out all of his frustrations on Buddy. "YUCK!!!!"

Also there was an episode where Buddy quit or was fired. Somehow it was beause of Mel. Rob and Sally hired a comedian to fill Buddy's job and insult Mel. Mel couldn't seem to take insults from anyone else because at the end of the episode he yells"Get me Buddy!!

cI also had the impression that Mel was married to Alan's sister. I didn't think Alan's wife was Mel's sister. But I did wonder about something in the scene where Alan is mumbling a woman's name in his sleep. Mel informs them thatAlan was mumbling the name of another woman, not his wife.

Now why on earth would Rob, Buddy and Sally NOT know the name of Alan's wife? They'd been working for him for years. Buddy and Sally had been with him longer than Rob. They had all been to the bos's house for parties. It seems like they would know Mrs. Brady's first name!

Edited on 11/24/2007 11:10am
    Edited 2 total times.