The Dick Van Dyke Show

CBS (ended 1966)

laurameyer

The Dick Van Dyke Show Fan Reviews (23)

• True fans...

Hello fellow Dick Van Dyke fans, I am currently producing the short film Moving Millie, and thought you might be interested. Moving Millie is a romantic, fun, and inspiring short film paying homage to some of the great classic sitcom comedies like Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy.

Why are we producing this film? is something about the great classic sitcoms of the 1950/60s that stand the test of time. The wholesome jokes and high energy physical comedy has made audiences laugh for over fifty years. It is no wonder that Dick Van Dyke is being honored this year with the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award (not to mention last years recipient Mary Tyler Moore).

As young artists, we have always admired, and tried to emulate the comedic styling's of these great performers. We found ourselves in an age where crude, edgy, and/or slacker humor is the focus of mainstream comedy, searching for something more truthful.

We are currently raising money for the project. Please help support our efforts by spreading the word and/or donating to our indiegogo campaign. Find us on under Moving Millie.
  • Classic Show

The Dick Van Dyke Show is one of those legendary classic shows that deserves more credit and rememberance than it is given. Watching this show takes you back to the good old days of the sixties. It was a very original show compared to most shows of that era. It was very different. There were themes in some episodes that most shows wouldn't dare mention. But it did it in a way that still seemed very innocent. The acting by Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore was outstanding. They had such a good chemistry betweent them that you couldn't help but wonder if they were really married. Overall, I think The Dick Van Dyke Show is a classic, that I will never forget.
  • I wish I could score this higher than a 10

Far and away my absolute favourite show of all time!! The Dick van Dyke show is a rare combination of great writing, great acting and great values. The result? A gem of a show. The story lines are as relevant today as they were back in the 1960's and the humour is timeless: especially Dick van Dyke's stellar timing and physical humour. This is a show that delivers comfort and happiness. If I ever find myself stranded on a deserted island (with electriciy!), the Dick van Dyke show on DVD is the show that I want to be watching until I am rescued!
  • I wanted Rob and Laura as my parents!

Carl Reiner made one of the most best written shows with this series by creating all of the scripts by himself. The man has an innate talent for comedy, timing and characters with the first show known where the characters spend half of the time hurling funny insults at their boss, and the other half showing the life of a happily married couple very much in love with each other. This is probably the first show to show the husband at work where so many other tv husbands vanished to "the job;" for all we know, Ward Cleaver and Ozzie Nelson could of been embezzlers or secret agents. This show went one more level further by showing the scenes behind the writing of a comedy-variety show. Dick Van Dyke is an eternally likeable talent and Mary Tyler Moore was demurely sexy and wonderfully irresistible before her lookalike cousin got a job in that Minneapolis news office. That role was a far distant cry to this one. Forget the Bradys, they were the parents I wanted; they were both wonderful, fair and funny, but who wants to have a crush on their mom? Larry Matthews was every model son as he played the "low-maintenance kid" missing from shows on end. Morey Amsterdam and Richard Deacon were perfect comedy foils for each other as was Rose Marie who played eternally optimistic bachelorette Sally Rogers. Jerry Paris and Ann Morgan Guilbert were everyone's favorite neighbors. All this and appearances by Reiner himself as oft seen Alan Brady, the star of the show within the show, made this series a comedy classic even above The Cosby Show or the Brady Bunch.
  • One of the best shows to ever be broadcast!

The Dick Van Dyke Show grew out of the situation comedies of the 1950's and brought North America into the new decade of the 1960's. While in it's early days it still had the influences of earlier 50's shows, it quickly transcended the formulaic 50’s comedies to be a unique and rare gem of a show. The Dick Van Dyke Show stood alone.

Out of the 157 episodes there are very few that would be considered duds. This show was made with quality. Quality writing, acting and comedic timing! And because it is relative “early television” there are no huge budgets or salaries. (Many of the stars wore their own clothes to save on the wardrobe budget!)
    It made use of the standard comedy props like pratfalls, props, slapstick as did many of the shows of the time and those before. Using many of these tools, the Dick Van Dyke show would expose our This show began in a wonderfully optimistic time in America and the world. The future was looking bright, outer space and the moon was the new frontier and an energetic and charismatic president, with a chic and cultured wife were in the White House. In some ways many people felt that the Petrie’s were like the Kennedy’s.
    This show made fun of our foibles, but in a good natured way. It was never a mean spirited show, it was never cynical.
    The highly creative cast and crew used the usual tools to make us laugh, pratfalls, slapstick, silly situations. The big difference and one that adds to the allusion to “Camelot” is the addition of music, songs and dancing. Add to that the suburbia/dinner party feel. It seemed to give the show more class. The Dick Van Dyke Show was very hip for it’s time. The whole cast was talented and it set this show apart. Because Rob worked in the entertainment business, it wasn’t odd for them to be singing and dancing, in some way or another. They all performed at a cocktail party or two in the show. The Dick Van Dyke show was, and remains one of the most warm hearted and fun shows on TV.

• Best Show ever written and acted

Relevent humor today as much as it was when it was shown. It is timeless! Does not matter that it is over 40 years since it first aired. I still laugh every time i watch it and must have seen every episode 20 times. Just a pleasure to watch. Thank You
  • This is a classic comedy show about the Petrie family. Rob Petrie is a comedy writer and you also will see him at work at the office.

To call this show a classic is almost a slam. This is the story of Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke), Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) and their son Richie (Larry Mathews). The show mainly focuses on the family and their guests at home (these people threw more parties than anyone I know) and Rob's work as a comedy writer. Rob worked with Maurice "Buddy" Sorrell (Morey Amsterdam) and Sally Rogers (Rose Marie). Their stiff boss Melvin Cooley challenged them daily. He is always after them to get something done and he and buddy torment each other constantly. The three all work for Alan Brady as writers for the fictional Alan Brady Show. Carl Reiner who played Alan Brady on the show-within-a-show was the creator and producer of the actual show.
  • The best of the best from it's era ...

I know I probably use that saying a little too much, but I'm definitely not over exaggerating when I speak about The Dick Van Dyke Show, it was hilarious then, and it's even more hilarious to me now.

The cast was some of the most talented people of the 60s, and their comedic talent shines through in every episode. The stories are catchy, and you can really get in to them.

I'm so happy that they have finally released this series on dvd, now all of it's fans can relive every side-splitting, uproarious time and time again.
  • The comings and goings of Robert Petrie, a comedy writer for the Alan Brady Show.

This show always comes to mind when I think of the word television. This is the epitome of the institution of televison.

Robert Petrie works for Alan Brady, an almost tyrannical variety show host, and along with Buddy Sorrell and Sally Rogers his two co-workers, get into an number of predicments each week.

The interaction between the comedy writers is top rate and you get the feeling that they have been and will continue to be friends for a very long time. Mel Cooley adds to the office banter, the abuse of Buddy to Mel\\\'s bald head, one of the funniest ever to be seen anywhere.

Laura Petrie is an understanding wife, always ready to help Rob in his career, but also has a mind of her own and isn\\\'t afraid to used it.

This show was ahead of it\\\'s time in many respects, discussing issues such as religion and bigotry, but always with a sense of humor.
  • One show I'll never grow tired of watching.

There is no question that this is the best sit-com of all time, with one of the great ensemble casts ever assembled.
    Carl Reiner was a staff writer for Sid Caesar on his "Show of Shows", giving him much of the inspiration of Rob Petrie's character.
    Where does one start in assessing the impact of this show? In a nutshell, this was a show that flouted the conventions of the sit-coms that had gone before it...and unless I'm mistaken, it was the first major t-v series that revolved around a "mythical" and all-to-real television show.
    It was the perfect vehicle for Van Dyke to display his acting ability and skill with physical comedy as well.
    The then-very young Mary Tyler Moore really grew into her role through the years, and got the attention of a very young boy ( to say nothing of CBS and the nation) with those Capri slacks she wore.
    Morey Amsterdam - Rose Marie - Richard Deacon - Ann-Morgan Guilbert, etc...what an ensemble!
    And, in case you're wondering, my favorite episode was "Coast-To-Coast Big Mouth". The scene where Laura stands in Alan's office...while he looks at a row of now-useless hairpieces... it still cracks me up after all these years.
  • The Mother of All Comedies

For me the Dick Van Dyke Show is when comedy truly was King. The writing, directing and acting were all of the highest caliber. This show used words in ways we had not heard of until then. It examined social issues of the time on some shows (and these were really classic episodes--That's My Boy? being one that stands out). Mostly though it was about the simple ordinary things all humans encounter. A wife's need to open the mail, an allergy to a pillow, a need to explain sex to a child. The comedic genius of Dick Van Dyke, coupled with the writing of Carl Reiner created a human being we all felt we knew. The most endearing quality of this show is the humble manner in which it portrayed its leading character, the love and romance that was between the Laura and Rob. This show remained its very personal touch, while still creating glamour and sophistication. Even if Laura wasn't like us, she was someone we so wanted to be, with her makeup on and dinner set every night to eat with her husband (and the child somewhere lost in his room). Rob, despite being so attractive and successful, really did "trip over that mountain" and anything else he could find. That's why we loved him--he never took himself that seriously.
    It has stood the test of time and remains for me, a perennial and eternal statement of simple and yet complex human emotions. There are very few episodes that are below par, and even right up to the end, the show was perfection personified. There are few shows you can watch that promise laughter and deliver it time and again.
  • Possibly the best, most consistent sitcom in television history.

Do you like "I Love Lucy," or "Cheers," or "The Honeymooners"? If so, then you will probably like The Dick van Dyke Show. I believe this is the best sitcom of all time. I believe that Rob and Laura Petrie are the most believable TV couple of all time. This show is the "roots" of shows like Seinfeld. It was not the first sitcom, and it may not be the funniest (although, then again, it may be). Either way, this is the best sitcom on television.
  • Way too much talent for one show...

...what talent there was on this program - you had a gifted veteran comedian (Morey Amsterdam), a gifted veteran comedienne (Rose Marie), a top comedy writer who produced the show, as well as appeared as the titular star of the "Alan Brady Show" everyone worked for (Carl Reiner), a very funny younger comedian (van Dyke and a future top television director (Jerry Paris)...

...but the real surprise was the development of one of the better comediennes in television history - Mary Tyler Moore. She did more in her namesake show - but, in my opinion, she did her best work with Dick van Dyke here.

Two words sum it up for me - "inflatable raft".
  • Almost The Best!

With great writing and an excellent cast, The Dick Van Dyke Show lives on as a perfect example of near-perfect television comedy. It most cases it's still as fresh now as it was in its run in the mid sixties. And also makes many transitions from radio to television by incorparting many actors and writers from their respective mediums. Its no wonder so many of todays sit-coms borrow (and flat out STEAL!) from the Dick Van Dyke Show!
  • Definitely one of the most influential sitcoms ever

Watching repeats of this show, you can see the incredible influence that it has had. Pretty much every hit sitcom of latter years, from Seinfeld to Cheers and other shows have used this one as its template. And what's not to love? Carl Reiner borrowed on his memories of working as a staff writer for Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows to provide the stories of DVDS. Buddy Sorrell was based on Mel Brooks, Sally was an amalgam of Imogene Coca and Selma Diamond and Rob Petrie was, well, himself. Reiner then drew on his suburban family life in New Rochelle to flesh out the family scenes, and supposedly the giant woodpecker episode was based on a true story. This show remains fresh and inventive even today, if it wasn't for the B&W film and the clothes and hairstyles you might just think this was brand new. And Dick Van Dyke might just be the most likable guy ever to grace a TV screen
  • What can you say about the Dick Van Dyke Show?

This show set so many trends and broke so much comedy ground, it has to be rated near the top of the list for comedies. It is still funny and holds up well even decades later. Mary Tyler Moore was wonderful as Dick's wife Laura, and the rest of the cast were multi-talented in their own right. The writing was superb and production values were high for the time.

Overall a good show that will be around for a while in syndication and other forms.
  • Everyone loves this show and it is such a classic!

We all know the Dick Van Dyke show. Our parents or we grew up with it. I look back on it with Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke young. It is awesome to see it! This is a classic show that we all love it. It never grows old!
  • A Show That Can Never Be Duplicated

The Dick Van Dyke Show is a wonderfully funny, witty, and sly show that not only showcases the talents of Mr. Van Dyke, but also the young (and beautiful) Mary Tyler Moore. The show has two primary settings - work and home.

Work is all about the comedy-writing business. Rob Petrie (Van Dyke) works with his two co-workers, Buddy and Sally (played to perfection by Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie) writing jokes for Alan Brady (show creator Carl Reiner). The one-liners fly constantly, especially at Mel Cooley (Richard Deacon), their boss's assistant.

At home, it's as good if not better, because of the presence of Ms. Moore. In my opinion, her plaintive wails of "Oh, Rob!" are funnier than Lucy's "But Ricky!". Mr. Van Dyke and Ms. Moore have incredible chemistry, and their comedic timing can't be beat.
  • One of the best comedies in TV history. Right up there with Cheers and Seinfeld.

It broke barriers and illustrated what TV comedies could do at their best. Dick Van Dyke Show worked because I think that in many ways the characters were more realistic and believeable (even when they were cracking jokes constantly) than many other sitcom characters that were on TV at that time.

Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke were the most realistic couple of TV back during that time. Although it's a shame that even they were relegated to sleeping in different beds.

The show was at its most adventerous (and usually at its best) when it bended the rules of reality a little bit though. Remember the crazy episode when those peanuts came rolling out of the closet? In another episode, Rob is the Sheriff in an old western town. Although I think over the years, ideas like these have gotten silly in sitcoms, DVD Show was among the first to try them. And they were usually successful.

Anyway, check this show out. Until recently, it was a Nick At Nite staple. Although I think it only airs on TV Land now.
  • Influential classic.

In my opinion, the greatest sitcom of all time. Yes, I love Lucy and I acknowledge that The Honeymooners invented the formula, but the sitcom didn't become sophisticated, witty, and real until The Dick Van Dyke Show. This was the first show to show a child who wasn't a genius, a psychotic boss, a couple who had sexual chemistry and affection, a single woman in a "man's" career, an African American couple, and so many other firsts. And unlike so many other 'trailblazers' that have become watered-down over time, The Dick Van Dyke Show's wit still stands above every other sitcom on television right now. And hey, it was the first show to bow out before it got stale.
  • Rob Petrie is a TV writer for the Alan Brady Show trying to balance his work life with his home life with his wife and son.

The Dick Van Dyke Show is a key step in the evolution of the sit-com. It could be considered the model for the great ensemble sit-coms of the 70s and the 80s. And it was one of the few sit-coms in which showed both the home life and the work life. And, created by Your Show of Shows actor and writer, Carl Reiner, it took a satirical look at the creation of a TV show. It didnt hurt to have a talented performer in Dick Van Dyke as the star, and a talented supportng cast as well. I always thought it was easy to underestimate the importance of this sit-com in terms of what would follow. It debuted at a time that, not only was television going through changes, but the world was changing. Network TV would be over run with fantasy shows and low rent type series during Van Dykes run, and the variety show, which was still big at the beginning of their run, would soon become passe. This show was more sophisticated than just about anything else appearing at the time. And Mary Tyler Moores resemblence to the first lady of the time always struck me as more than coincidence.Plus, there was just the sublest hint of sex, which was usually glossed over. I honestly believe that without the Dick Van Dyke Show, there would be no All in the Family, no MASH, no Bob Newhart Show, no Taxi, no Cheers, no Frasier, and of course, no Simpsons. And even though it seems obvious, no Mary Tyler Moore Show either. I think its time this show gets its due in the history of American sit-coms.
  • One of the few classic shows that stands the test of time.

One show that through it's run was consistently funny. There were very few episodes that I couldn't sit through again.

It's one of those shows that's comedy doesn't get dated. Plus the idea that they are writers for a comedy show is quite original (for 1961).

Also, the best thing that they did, that very few shows work with is the use of flashbacks without using previous episodes. (ex: the birth of Richie and the purchasing of their home when Laura was expecting.)

Flashbacks, to me, are a weak attempt for a series to use an episode as a filler.

With this show, it was used to show the Petries before 1961.

Awesome!
  • such a really good classich show

i am 20 years old and the dick van dyke show came along time ago way before my time. i watch the reruns over the years and own all the boxsets and seen all the eps. the dick van dyke show was a classic it was about a man and his wife and a kid and he did a tv show called the alan brady show the show was hilrious and had alot of clasic eps were funny things would happen like a pie to the face things like that. but it had alot good moments. and i really enjoyed the show.