The Dick Van Dyke Show

CBS (ended 1966)

laurameyer

The Dick Van Dyke Show Fan Reviews (23)

• Rob Petrie is a TV writer for the Alan Brady Show trying to balance his work life with his home life with his wife and son.

The Dick Van Dyke Show is a key step in the evolution of the sit-com. It could be considered the model for the great ensemble sit-coms of the 70s and the 80s. And it was one of the few sit-coms in which showed both the home life and the work life. And, created by Your Show of Shows actor and writer, Carl Reiner, it took a satirical look at the creation of a TV show. It didnt hurt to have a talented performer in Dick Van Dyke as the star, and a talented supportng cast as well. I always thought it was easy to underestimate the importance of this sit-com in terms of what would follow. It debuted at a time that, not only was television going through changes, but the world was changing. Network TV would be over run with fantasy shows and low rent type series during Van Dykes run, and the variety show, which was still big at the beginning of their run, would soon become passe. This show was more sophisticated than just about anything else appearing at the time. And Mary Tyler Moores resemblence to the first lady of the time always struck me as more than coincidence.Plus, there was just the sublest hint of sex, which was usually glossed over. I honestly believe that without the Dick Van Dyke Show, there would be no All in the Family, no MASH, no Bob Newhart Show, no Taxi, no Cheers, no Frasier, and of course, no Simpsons. And even though it seems obvious, no Mary Tyler Moore Show either. I think its time this show gets its due in the history of American sit-coms.