The Dick Van Dyke Show

Uhny Uftz

Aired Unknown Sep 29, 1965 on CBS

• A rather silly episode, not worthy of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

There aren't many bad Dick Van Dyke Show episodes that I don't enjoy much. Probably less than I could count on one hand. Unfortunately this is one of them.

The problem is the silly plot of a kids "toy" flying saucer and Rob seeing it outside on night while working late, alone at the office.
    Not that there aren't some funny moments and some great lines, but the ridiculous premise pulls you out of the show and ruins the experience. Up till the moment that Rob (and now Buddy) find the toy and it's inventor does this turn silly. Up to then it was a funny mystery and funny. You truely wondered what it was that Rob was seeing! I actually does get creepy in the building too.
    But when you see that the toy is about 4 or 5 feet around and flies about, spinning like a top it ruins the whole show!

This happens for 3 reasons:
    a. This "toy" looks like it could really hurt someone, especially a child! No sale.
    b. The saucer "flies" around spinning wildly, while effective, it moves too much as if on hidden lines. Above average special effect, still not good enough.
    c. This episode depended upon a giant prop. This isn't what Dick Van Dyke is about. It was too gimmicky, almost like some kind of old Abbott and Costello show!
    Hey, all TV series have a few clunkers. Simply the law of large numbers.

• Dick Van Dyke Show "Uhny Uftz" has funniest line removed by TV Land

I suppose TV Land figured nobody cared... but for some strange reason they aired the episode minus what is arguably the funniest line. It's still a great episode, especially for season five, but (spoiler alert) at the point when Buddy returns to the office to get something he left, Rob, having just heard the UFO say "uhny uftz" again is certain that Buddy is pranking him. He says "Buddy, you son-of-a-gun, you Uhny Uftz me!" to which Buddy replies the missing line of "Rob, I've done some terrible things in my life, but I've never Uhny Uftz nobody!" The typically great Morey Ansterdam delivery is just perfect, but for reasons I would love to know, TV Land airs a version with the line removed!