The District

CBS (ended 2004)

The District Fan Reviews (16)

• The District

Hi, I am from Adelaide South Australia and I am desperately trying to find the dvd of The District, could somebody please tell me where on this earth I can purchase The District DVD, I absolutely love watching this show. it was on Foxtel and now Foxtel have taken it off.

Could someone please help me.

Thankyou

Kristine
  • Looking for an episode; might be the District

Hi!

I am looking for a TV show that was playing somewhere ~1990-2006. I think in it a man either faked his death or died and returned. He appeared by his grave at night to confront the enemy or the mole? Afterward, he celebrated with his friends at a bar. It could be a cop/detective show. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I thought it might be the TV show, Seven Days or the District, but I haven't been able to find out for sure.

If no one can remember an episode like this, can someone please suggest another manner of searching for it? It was a great episode. I would love to see the rest of it sometime or at least have it confirmed whether it's the District or not! Thanks!

P.S. It was the Bones episode, Pain in the Heart!
  • It was an okay show. The first few seasons were great. But then when Ella was gone it went down hill. I loved Jonathan LaPaglia from 7 days, he was great in this!

The show was really great. I loved it. It got better with the edition of 7 Days star Jonathan LaPaglia. However after Ella died the show went down the tubes. Every singles episode it was Ella this and Ella that. I was sad to see her die and all but the show to me got old fast. I mean it was fine then all they did from that point forward was harp on Ella. I got tired of it.
  • Excellent drama series> good plot events, multi faceted

Excellent drama series, good plot events, multi faceted characters, narratives which transcend the usual one dimensional world; themes which involve the audience, great acting, empathy with the script, and direction, a creative balance of emotions and psychological input as a contraindication to the pap usually put out by mainstraem media.
    Why oh why has CBS Action decided to only show the first 3 seasons? What person would decide on such a policy?
    Oh I know let's show Julius Caesar up to his assination, and then do a re-run on it. There is no justification for such banality. it beggars belief for this to happen.
    Let's hope this can be changed in the name of sanity, and let's experience what Jack's return can do for the series.
  • Good cop show

The most underappreciated cop show on tv. I really loved this show when it aired here in The Netherlands. It had such a good story line in it. The actors where so good at their job. It would be so nice if they brought this show back on the air. I am a cop myself, so I could really relate to some of the personal issues that the characters where struggling with. And you had to love the bold shoes that the Chief of Police was wearing. It takes a really bold man to wear those things. I love shows like this, good story line and no over the top action.
  • An underappreciated ensemble crime drama based around our nations capital that had solid likeable characters more often than not superb plot lines.

Never caught the show first run, as it was on Saturday night. Stumbled across the show on A&E one morning and never missed it from then on. Likeable characters and plot lines that were solid. I've always been a Craig T. Nelson fan, but the strong ensemble cast made the show a winner. This was a show that should really still be on, with all the CSI shows on now, this would be a winning addition. CBS screwed up something fierce by dropping this show, just long enough to get into syndication but to short to be anything more than a fleeting memory. Lynne Thigpen as Ella Farmer was such a great calming counter balance to Craig T. Nelson's hyperactive Jack Mannion. And many people forget that Sean Patrick Thomas was in this show from day one show one.
  • I have spent the week watching this show on A&E, and I am sure that even after being cancelled, this may very well be the best show on tv. I am going to buy the dvd for the show. It's just that great, "BRING IT BACK"

Knowing that one of the cast has passed on makes it hard to think that this show may come back but it sure needs to come back. This show is by far one of the greats. The cast is amazing, the storylines fantastic, and the acting is supurb. Please find a way to bring it back for us. We need good viewing. And this show by far is one of the best. In a time when tv is being blamed for so much it seems a shame not to have a show that goes above and beyond. Hope to see it back someday soon.
  • The District is one Tv show that deserves a second, third and fourth look. I truly don't remember when it was broadcast the first time around. It is pitiful that Tv doesn't put out more quality shows like this. I disovered this gem on A&E.

Great ensemble,great acting,great writing. I can't rave enough about this show. If I were to purchase any TV series on DVD, this would be the one. The writing is excellent but it is the actors that deliver the goods with memorable characters and performances.Everyone in the cast delivers such believable human characters it is hard to choose one portrayal above the rest. Lynne Thigpen's portrayal of Ella Farmer is the best character ever presented on television, in my opinion. It really is impossible to not to fall in love with show. Thank you to the writers who gave us so many memorable characters and storylines.
  • This show is great and not only is it great, but it is also a show that is very entertaining and has a lot of action in it. I never get bored with watching this show, I find myself wanting more of it.

I really love this show. I watch this show every morning at 7am before going to work. I wish I could pick out one episode in particular that I loved, but I can not because I love all of them. They deal more with real life and they are really ease to relate to. The characters in the show are awsome. They have me laughing very hard and with some episodes they have me crying very hard. I just wish that there were more episodes coming on durning the evening like after 6pm. Especially more on the weekends. I wish that there was someone I could contact to inquire about more air time for this show.
  • The District has had to be one of the all time great's.

I hate it when you really get into a show and look forward of coming home from work and sitting down to something you really can enjoy, and then, bamm, there is no more, that really stinks, this is one of those shows I am talking about, I have recorded every one and watched them all from the first till now, they are now nothing but rerun's that I have seen, Nash was another one of those shows I wish they would get back on, that was so good to watch, well the District made up some of that, and now it is gone, get all the cast back together and put this show back on we need Jack back in the saddle again, bring it back, thank you, nash also would be nice, stop killing all the goood shows, thank's...
  • This is the first family show that is informative and very interesting to watch. It stays with the crimes of today and makes the show realistic. The actors are supurb. And the show is clean, no strong curse words and fowl language Please bring it b

The show is a classic and great family show. It\'s clean and very interesting to watch. I haven\'t enjoyed a show like this in long time. Please bring it back full time. I tape every show so I can watch it at my leisure too enjoy. I look forward to every day so I can watch the show.
  • Just a short review on one of the better actors I have watched. The District has me fighting to get to work in the morning... Great show.

I don't like to watch TV much anymore, but after seeing Craig T. Nelson play this role as "Chief", I have found a whole new love for TV. I have even recorded the show through my computer to make sure I get to see the end. The one where he was fired, and was acting like Bill Murray while playing golf (Caddy Shack) was one of my favorites. I liked him in Coach, Poltergeist, but truly enjoy his character in The District.
  • Fluff will-they-won't-they comedy with a good dose of slapstick

I class this show as a guilty pleasure, and I enjoy the kind of pointless slapstick comedy it delivers. The three main charcaters and their on-off love triangle is mildly diverting and I always like Nathan Fillion as Johnny, Sharon's put upon boyfriend.

Okay, so some of the jokes may be lifted from bad episodes of Friends, and the predictable love trials are usually tied up and ripped apart again by the end of every series. But Two Guys and A Girl can keep you mildly entertained for 25 minutes, and it's a good chance to see stars like Fillion and Ryan Reynolds before they hit the big time.
  • Not Much,just that The District is indeed what i have been waiting for.Its so amazing to see dedicated police force,from its chief to the detectives.in kenya,we dont have that kind of an organisation.if i was in the US,i would definately become a detectiv

The episode that swept me off completely was ep 56,"goodbye jenny"!!I've never cried like that.It was just so amazing.the characters knew what to do and when to do it.I made a desicion to support any AIDS patient wherever.its a lesson that needs to be learnt by all mankind,that despite our weaknesses we are one!!Jenny stole my heart.I still cant hold back my tears!!!
  • Such complexities are probably good things, and certainly more compelling than anything the reductive world of The District has yet offered.

In the case of The District, it's hardly surprising that black characters take up a lot of the on-air time, considering that it's set in Washington DC, one of the few places in the U.S. where the majority population is African American (one school of thought has it that this is the major reason that the District still does not have representation in Congress). In fact, the cast's racial make-up prompted grumblings before it even aired, specifically, concerns that the show privileged a newly hired white police chief, Jack Mannion (Craig T. Nelson, also listed as a "consulting producer," whatever that is) over nefarious black characters, namely, a mayor modeled after Marion Barry and an assortment of corrupt cops. Reportedly, the network and producers were surprised to hear about these concerns — perhaps they'd been vacationing on Mars — but they dutifully took up the task of altering the show to appease detractors. The resulting, revamped District features a basically good black mayor, Ethan Baker (played by the famously decent and outspoken John Amos, who once quit Good Times because of its racist representations: in a word, JJ) and snide references to his badly behaved predecessor. The show also features a DC Chief of Patrol named Noland (Roger Aaron Brown), who's mad because he's been passed over for the Police Chief's position now occupied by Mannion.
  • The District was an amazing show with a fantastic cast. The very unique character Jack Mannion made the show. Lynne Thigpen's death was the beginning of the end for the series.

The District was one of the best cop shows ever. Jack Mannion was one of the most unique and quirky yet lovable characters on TV. The show would've been nothing without him and Craig T. Nelson. Lynne Thigpen was my favorite actor on the show and her death, in my opinon, killed the show. While it still had some great cop storylines, season 4 felt like it was missing something. That something was Ella. Nancy was a pretty good character and her storyline with Huntington's disease was very well-done. Temple was a good character but Debreno was abominable. What an arrogant jerk! I cringed every time he appeared on the screen. The one thing that puzzled me about season 1 is how the first half of the season the mayor and deputy mayor were in every episode (the deputy mayor--played by the very talented Jayne Brook--was even a star) and then they just suddenly disappear after the "Pumpkin" issue is resolved. It was great how they always had Jack go out into the field and work on the cases himself--sometimes the person in charge isn't included enough on shows. The District was, for the most part, a great show that will be missed.