The Dresden Files Forums

Syfy (ended 2007)

Anyone miss this show?

Smokey85

[1]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 3

Wow, in a couple months it will have been two years since this show last aired. I just re-watched the entire show(for the 9th or 10th time) and once again realized how great it was. It made me sad it was gone, and mad it got canceled. I loved the show, and sure, it wasn't the very best show out there, but still, it became one of my favorite shows. It certainly is better then some of the stuff they're now showing on Sci-Fi. Not saying all the Sci-Fi shows are bad, but some were much worse than Dresden Files. For instance, Painkiller Jane begins to air the same month this show gets cancelled, it is horrible..and it gets a full 22 episode season? They should of just invested the money used on that into another season of Dresden Files.

I don't mean to go on a rant, but it seriously bums me out that this show was canceled, and I guess I still haven't gotten over it. Sure, we still have the books, they are good but..they aren't the same. By now key members of the cast have moved on to different things, so there is a 0% chance the show will ever come back.

The only good thing is that I have 12 quality episodes to fall back on. Unusual for a show to have so many good episodes in one season, but this show did it.

Am I the only person missing this show?

Edited on 02/01/2009 4:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Flytdeck

[2]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 4

You are not the only one to miss this show. I am now consoling myself by reading the books. Not quite the same, though in many ways more entertaining. Possibly cancelling the series did me a favour!

Have the TV series saved and have gone through them for a second time. Very well crafted and enjoyable stories.

CaptainHarkness

[3]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 23
    I miss the show quite a bit. I keep wondering what they could have put in the show from the books. i.e. Characters, story arc etc...

molii

[4]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    I miss the show too... I am also reading the books but it's different. Books are amazing but the series was built in a different way in my opinion. Both totally enjoyable and I can say luckily there are books, so at least I can stay in the amazing world of Harry Dresden. But I am always here complaining about the fact they really enjoy to stop the series I like mostly. Dresden Files is one of them but there are plenty they stopped just after one or two season (Dead Like Me, Blade, The Middleman... just to keep the list short). I just cannot understand why they keep on running idiot series for decades...! It's really incredible!

ranhalt

[5]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 14
    If you miss the stories, read the books, there are a lot more of them.

caitfate

[6]May 2, 2009
    • level: 7
    I just discovered this show. And I loved it! Now, though, I regret finding the gem because we don't get any more. It's been cancelled for nearly 2 years now. Isn't it funny how all the really cool, creative, and innovative shows get the boot?...I can't count how many times I've posted that comment here recently. I think it's also funny that looking at my list of favorite shows, I can garantee that over half of them are now cancelled. I guess it just shows you that my tastes are impaccable since they seem to cancel the good ones. I love Harry and his subtle wit and cleverness. And I absolutely love P.I. stories (Veronica Mars and Moonlight) that have narrations. It has just the right mixture of cop procedural and fantasy to cater to fans of both without overdoing it. Now that I don't get any more episodes I'm going to start reading the books!!!

OctoberGirl9

[7]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    I started out reading the books, about a year before the show started. The show was different but highly entertaining. I miss it all the time, I finished re-reading Turn Coat, and couldn't help thinking why the show was cancelled. It could have become so much more, and the stories in the books, and the stories the writers incorporated into the show were/are amazing. Sad to see that we'll miss out on so much. Sci-Fi has a crazy idea of killing most of thier good shows, so it didn't surprise me. Maybe someone will pick it up, or do some movies. Who knows now days.

D723

[8]Jun 29, 2009
    • level: 1

Ya,sure do! I was over at My friends house, We were discussing Great series that have been "sacked" ( canceled) before their time with

no apparent reason. My pal pulls it "season 1" off a shelf and hands it to Me and says take this with Ya and have a view I think you'll dig this one

it's only one season, but it's a class act. I just finished it and I went over to My computor to try and find out if there is going to be another

season comming up, sad to say "no such luck" Apparentlly there was a writer's strike in 2007 that and poor raitings "doomed" this gem. Too

bad, Sci fi network won't look into starting up this slick series, I found out there's a cult following for this series ,would'nt it be nice if they

reconsidered?

Dave........

Zarinas1

[9]Jul 2, 2009
    • level: 2
    Oh yeah, I totally miss this show. So many stories were just sitting there waiting to be explored. And it was so nice to see a series with great acting! We hold View-Ins every week at dresdencity.org & watch the episodes on Lionsgate's channel on YouTube to let them know the fans are still there. It can't hurt & it's fun

OctoberGirl9

[10]Jul 25, 2009
    i went back and made a list of all the stuff i loved in the books that could have ended up in the show, man i miss it.....will it ever go away!!!

JasmineHR

[11]Aug 11, 2009
    • level: 35
    I'd never seen the show before and I just now finished watching the last episode. What a really amazing and original show! I'm now most definitely counted as one of the people who wish it wasn't cancelled. Bring it back, please!

martitta1

[12]Sep 23, 2009
    • level: 7

im missing this show

i believe it will be back one day!

futurewavecs

[13]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 4
    Definitely miss the show. I love to read too but, was unaware of these books until this show. Now, I have read all of them several times. It is a shame the show was cancelled. If the rumors about the executive woman who was snubbed while visiting on the set are true, as being the reason the show was cancelled. She should be fired!!! Give a reason other than you are pissed off and she should have a job but, if that is truly why it was cancelled then she does not deserve the job.

TesserT

[14]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 75
    I have all the Dresden file books including the graphic novel Welcome to the Jungle. I discovered the books after watching the TV series. I thought they dropped the series way too soon. Can't wait for the next book release Changes due out in April 2010.

SohiHien

[15]Apr 10, 2010

I miss this show, it was really just getting started. There are so many great storylines and characters that never even made it into the show before it got cancelled. I wonder sometimes what they would have done with the show if it kept going.

aimal27

[16]Mar 5, 2011

I know Paul Blackthorne is still around ... He's appearing as 'the bad guy' in White Collar these days ((also a recommended series )) ... Really wish they would do another season .. *nostalgic sigh*

adcwolf2

[17]May 7, 2011
    • level: 9

I purchased the first and only season the other day its great I cannot understand why the producers cancelled

lordoracle

[18]Aug 1, 2011
    • level: 9

I enjoyed the show but do wish they could have gotten it more like the books. Would have been interesting to see the White Court of vampires in it along with the fae like Harry's godmother the Leansidhe. While I understand their reasons for putting him in the jeep instead of the Blue Beetle, I would have loved to have seen the VW.

titanbob13

[19]Sep 1, 2011
    • level: 6

Still pop an episode in to spend time with Harry Dresden from time to time! Loved it, still do. It was better than most of the crap on SciFi.

EricTerry

[20]May 20, 2012

It's not a question of missing it for me but rather regretting that it was ever made in the first place.

I go here by googling *dresden files tv show why so bad?* honestly the books are what I'd considar a bread and butter read for all fantasy in the last 10 years great work real fun and a bit off the beaten track while still using all the good old cliches we know and love.

And quite frankly the tv show was a insult to them and if I had to guess I'd say it was canceled because it was terrible. Beyondsimply not being able to copy the book of course u can't go toe to toe special effects v the written word yet it's just unreasonable to expect it. But that doesn't excuse the sickly rambling plot and laughable secondary characters. Plenty of shows new and old have shown straight back to the twilight zone that goodsciencefiction can be done low effectm low budget come on starwars anyone T_T? An exception to the rule sure and u have to wonder why lucas is soinconsistent.

Ah but enuf ranting =) this SHOW SUCKS!!! Don't watch it read the books they are great. Eat it you fan boys it's the truth.

PS Or your not fan boys and you just have terrible taste in which case go read a little tolken, salvator, watch the return of the jedi maybe a little sliders it'll set you straight. ^_^