The Dresden Files Forums

Syfy (ended 2007)

Should I watch this show?

mellylynne

[1]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    This show looks really good (I read some of the books and enjoyed them) but I wasn't sure if I should watch the show. I saw it had been cancled. Netflix has it and wondered about renting it. Does it have a decent ending/clousure of some sort? I don't want to be left hanging. If not, do the books give closure to any loose ends?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jacks_Son

[2]Jul 4, 2008
    • level: 13

By all means, watch the complete series if you can. I would try to get a hold of the REAL series pilot, "Storm Front". It's two hours and was the actual pilot, unlike the remake which Sci Fi aired first. Then start with the first aired pilot. The two are completely different with the original pilot written to follow the actual book by Jim Butcher. As for the books, they're still ongoing with the latest in the series being "Small Favors". There are also the comic books, which are written with the assistance of the author. The comics are considered Canon.

BTW, Jim also writes another series called the "Codex Alera". This series is also excellent but is more along the line of alternate Universe fantasy, based around a central core of characters. The first of this series is called, "Furies of Calderon".

Datruth112

[3]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    Watching the show is worth it.

Go to http://www.hulu.com/the-dresden-files , to watch for free.

I was wondering about the books though, i heard the show is actually better than the book, in that the show uses the characters better like bob.

Is that true? Or is the bob in the books better?

Also are you left hanging in where you are at in the books?

As for Canon comics, i really hate them. Comics can be fun but they are nothing like books, and they are almost always very very short, so you get very little amounts of real plot.

The only canon comic i like is the angel series, but that's because there are no canon books and the show is cancelled, so you have no choice but to read the comics.

In those cases i'm o.k with them, but yea comics in general hold no tee against books.

Datruth112

[4]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    Btw the ending does not leave you hanging, on the tv show that is.

You'll enjoy the end, but you'll want more episodes, just because the show is fun to watch.

The plot will be complete though.

grailwolf

[5]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 55
    In those cases i'm o.k with them, but yea comics in general hold no tee against books.
    Oh, man... have I got some comics for you to read...

First, check out Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. If you can read those and then tell me there wasn't much story in them, then... well, then I'll be very surprised. Since a novel has to spend an entire page describing what a comic/graphic novel can show you in one picture, I think that comics are often a lot more dense with story than any other form of literature. Anyway, if you like Neil's work then there are dozens of other titles that you would love.

About the Dresden comics though, they are definitely worth checking out. The first mini-series that just finished was a prequel to the first novel, Storm Front. Next they'll be releasing adaptations of the novels, starting with Storm Front and hopefully doing them all eventually. If his schedule allows, they will also try to get Jim to write original stories so that they can do short mini-series that will cover the time between each novel. He wrote the first series and he says he would like to do the rest, it's just a matter of working around his insane schedule.

As for the original question, I totally recommend it. I think the books are a lot better, but if you divorce this series from the novels and look at it as its own entity, it really is a lot of fun.