The Dresden Files

Things That Go Bump

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Apr 08, 2007 on Syfy

• Awesome!

That word alone hardly does this episode justice. But, that's how I felt about it. People with a killer in their midst, while trapped in an isolated location, has been a staple of most mystery novels and cop shows since Agatha Christie's "And, Then, There Were None." But, this is the first time I've ever seen it used in a fantasy adventure series. And, the episode's writers did it, brilliantly. I never suspected Murphy was a shapeshifting counterfeit! In fact, I initially thought Amber was the traitor, as she was the one whose suggested counterspell would have required a human sacrifice. Masterful piece of misdirection! My only complaint, however, is Ancient Mai's ingratitude. Harry's surname is Dresden! He's only half-Morningway, on his mother's side. And, I suspect that her "dangerous ideas" were more egalitarian--towards us mere mortals--than her brother Justin's. That is; if I'm right with regard to some of wizard-kind wanting to come out of the magical closet. Then, again, if Harry's hunch is correct (and I've suspected from prior glimpses that she's a were-reptile, of some kind), then Mai probably sees all ambitious humans as being alike. Last, but not least: if the were-dragon that disguised itself, as Murphy, really was sort of a hired killer, then its employers are still out there, somewhere. Namely, Uncle Justin's co-conspirators. And, I think that's what Harry's mother was trying to warn him about, via his father's ghost. *Come on! Who else could be the "she" be that Mr. Dresden was referring to?*