The Ellen DeGeneres Show Forums

Weekdays 3:00 PM on NBCIn Season

How far in advance does Ellen tape?

bmoshier

[1]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 46

Hi,

When Ellen was in NYC, I was wondering how far in advance she was taping.  I know she started on Saturday in the same studio as the David Letterman series.

Sometime I think it's just he day before.  Other times, I get the impression she is taping a week in advance.

Anyone know:

What time of day the tape an episode?

How far in advance do they tape an episode?

etc.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bill__b

[2]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    I've been waiting for someone who has been in an audience to let us know exactly the taping sequence. As I mentioned on another thread, I suspect that the segments are aired in an order different than taped. I'm beginning to think the talk-show code for taping two shows with the same audience is the host saying words to the effect of "boy was last night's audience a bummer." Any comment about a previous audience might be a clue that there is a second show being made from taping before the same audience. Tony Danza had to admit once that a segment was taped previously because there was a power outage in NYC that affected his studio and he was airing an interview that had no indication of the power failure. At least Ellen makes no pretense of being live, even though the audience gets heavy camera time. I bet the whole studio signs releases for the performance.

marjon47

[3]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 1

Most of the time I believe she is live and she tapes early in the morning so that those who aren't EST still get to watch her and enjoy every moment with her and the audience. If I'm wrong I hope she will let us know. I know she doesn't read everyones mail but the person who does should let us know.

tvlover

[4]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 9

hey

if you go to her web site it tells us what time we can watch the web cam to see stuff going on in the studio. the Ellen website says watch between 1-6 pm.

if you happen to read people when "Ellen tells all" story it says they tape four days a week.

bill__b

[5]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 4
    tvlover wrote:
    ... tells all" story it says they tape four days a week.

And show five shows a week.... this gives some creedence to my theory about taping with the same audience sometimes. I'd still like to know about lead time for the shows, but I'll set my palm alarm to try to catch the webcam next week.

phoenix72389

[6]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 6
    Well, when I went to the show, (back in first season, for show #99, I believe) it was on a Thursday and they taped a show for Friday and one for Monday from like noon to six-ish. 

It was really funny. For the Friday show, I was in the riffraff room, lol, but on Monday I'm in the audience.   And they had to keep reminding the audience that we were pretending it was the Monday after some Award Show (I want to say Emmy's, but I can't remember) and we all kept laughing because Ellen would be saying how great it was...when it hadn't truly aired yet.

Anywhoos, if they have kept that schedule then I believe they tape Monday through Thursday, with two shows on Thursday.  'Course it could have changed by now. 

justgilmore

[7]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 10
    I actually heard the same!! Mon-Thurs.

Shelz89

[8]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    I've heard that today's episode (Friday) was taped on Wednesday.

jenjen626

[9]Feb 9, 2007
    As far as I know, Ellen tapes her shows one day in advance and they don't tape on Fridays. The Friday show is doubled up one of the days during the week, but it is usually Thursday, depending on the availabilty of the guests. So Tuesday's show is taped on Monday, Wednesday's show is taped on Tuesday, etc... and Thursdays they will tape, usually, Friday & Monday's shows. I also believe that sometimes they change the audiences for the days that they tape two shows, but not always. They tape at 3pm from what I know. However, when they tape on location, those shows are primarily taped in advanced, such as this last Thanksgiving show in New York. They were off the week of Thanksgiving and those shows were taped the week before. Hope that helps!

die2knuloveme

[10]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    I thought i had read somewhere, i could be wrong that they also tape on Sat's. I could be wrong though.

TvMadde

[11]Aug 2, 2009
    • level: 17
    I was watching September 26th 2008 epi of Ellen (I live in the UK, we get the older shows) and she said something like

"This is Thursday, but your watching it on Friday, dont get confused! It is Friday, for you."

And i think she said something about recording a day in advance

aldaros23

[12]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 53
    She tapes the night before, I believe.

pattypatpatch

[13]Feb 14, 2010

Ellen tapes Monday - Thursday. She tapes two shows on Thursday (one for Friday and one for Monday). She tapes Monday for Tuesday, Tuesday for Wednesday, and Wednesday for Thursday. She usually tapes at 3:30 but there was talk of moving that up a bit so she has time to get to her second job over at American Idol. I've been to 3 shows so far. Well the first time was just outside in the audience for Dave Matthews band. But for doing that, I got 2 real show tickets and my husband got 2 real show tickets. So he took me in January and I am taking him next week! And my son took me to Ellen's 12 days last year!

PlanoSoceleb

[14]Aug 20, 2011

Huge fan of Ellen DeGeneres :-) I am finishing a new fan site http://soellendegeneres.com real time news, pics, videos, daily email alerts. Check it out, let me know what you think. -SoCelebrities

ShireenMcFarl

[15]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 2
    Ellen tapes her shows 1 day in advance. If you're watching it on Tuesday the audience is watching on Monday.