I love the Ellen DeGeneres Show, but one thing has been bugging me . .

bmoshier

[1]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 47

Please don't get me wrong.  I love the Ellen show!  Yet she has been doing one thing over the seasons that bugs me.  Here's an example from today's show (10/12/2006):

After showing a clip of Eric Dane, Ellen acted as though he got her hot.  I don't get it, isn't Ellen a lesbian with a girl friend/life partner/wife?

I suspect its acting to go along with the audience.  What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jcar03

[2]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 46
    Well just because he is lesbian doesn't mean she might not find a man hot. Remember Rosie O'Donnell's obsession with Tom Cruise? I know she wasn't out of the closest then but she still loves Tom Cruise hot. She may of been joking about finding Eric Dane hot as well.

bmoshier

[3]Oct 17, 2006

Yeah, good point.  Very few people are at either extreme end of the Kensey scale.  Who know where Ellen resides?  I still think some of it is an act for the audience, which I feel is ashame until she also does some pro-gay stuff.  For example, this is LGBT History as well as Breast Cancer month so where is the mention?

Anyway she has stuff in her life and career I can only imagine and must respect her decisions (since I can't walk a mile in her sneakers).

cab427

[4]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    I could be mistaken, but I read that Ellen is contractually prohibited from discussing or mentioning LGBT topics.  Otherwise they would cancel her show or contract.  I'm sure she would love to be more proactive and true to herself on television, but her employers don't think America wants to see it.

bmoshier

[5]Oct 22, 2006

cab427 wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but I read that Ellen is contractually prohibited from discussing or mentioning LGBT topics.  Otherwise they would cancel her show or contract.  I'm sure she would love to be more proactive and true to herself on television, but her employers don't think America wants to see it.

That is the SH*TS!  I know having the series really helped her career, but . . .  Hopefully, she'll get big enough to get that clause removed or for an offer to move to another network where the clause won't exist.

CR*P!

bmoshier

[7]Oct 26, 2006
    Well, I took Ellen out of my DVR record list Tuesday (10/24/2006).  Learning about the clause (for some reason) spoiled the series.

bill__b

[8]Oct 27, 2006
    • level: 4
    Just as an aside to anyone reading who might not get the acronym - Founded in 1973, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force was the first national lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights and . . . . .
    FYI.

tansydog

[9]Oct 28, 2006
    I haven't seen it myself, but apparently on the 25th October episode with Annette Bening, she mentioned that 'Portia had read the book' (they were talking about Running With Scissors, and it wasn't edited out like it usually is :-)

Sounds hopeful.

bmoshier

[10]Oct 28, 2006

tansydog wrote:
    I haven't seen it myself, but apparently on the 25th October episode with Annette Bening, she mentioned that 'Portia had read the book' (they were talking about Running With Scissors, and it wasn't edited out like it usually is :-) Sounds hopeful.

It sounds like her production company is testing the waters to find out how far the studio will let them go.  On the other hand, it might have been (A) a mistake or (B) too difficult to edit out and still have the segment make sense.

I look forward to a more free Ellen.  Hey!  Maybe in addition to her daily show, she could have a weekly series on HBO where she can be as out as she'd like. 

tansydog

[11]Oct 28, 2006
    The more Ellen the better!

emilyrox

[12]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 3
    so she think he's hot what's wrong with that. what ur say is that if ur a girl and u think Eva longoria is hot does that make u a lesbian?

bmoshier

[13]Oct 31, 2006

emilyrox wrote:
    so she think he's hot what's wrong with that. what ur say is that if ur a girl and u think Eva longoria is hot does that make u a lesbian?

No, I'm saying she looks like she's acting at those points.  Her body language and facial expressions gives me the distinct impression she is forcing her reaction - to give positive feedback / match how the audience is reacting.

I don't see Jay Leno or David Letterman acting that way when hot person walks out and the audience (especially the women) goes wild.

Edited on 10/31/2006 1:14am

ez1jb

[14]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 14
    I think everything she does is mainly for a laugh- its a talk show.

jhurley1

[15]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 22
    tansydog wrote:
    I haven't seen it myself, but apparently on the 25th October episode with Annette Bening, she mentioned that 'Portia had read the book' (they were talking about Running With Scissors, and it wasn't edited out like it usually is :-)

Sounds hopeful.

yer i noticed that...it was the first time i had heard portia's name on the show....although ellen does say 'our' a lot when talking about her life
    i really liked to hear someone talk about portia...i dont know why, but i thought it was really nice and it made me smile

Vampirestriker

[16]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 19
    Yeah!

bmoshier

[17]Nov 21, 2006
    Yeah, thrice.

jhurley1

[18]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 22
    hehe...thanks for the support

ocseason4fan

[19]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 9
    bmoshier wrote:

Please don't get me wrong.  I love the Ellen show!  Yet she has been doing one thing over the seasons that bugs me.  Here's an example from today's show (10/12/2006):

After showing a clip of Eric Dane, Ellen acted as though he got her hot.  I don't get it, isn't Ellen a lesbian with a girl friend/life partner/wife?

I suspect its acting to go along with the audience.  What do you think?

its all in the show, anything to be funny and make people laugh and that she does a great job with!

keikoy_seven

[20]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 16
    cab427 wrote:

do you remember where you read that? im curious

also recently with tr on the show there was a conversation about when ellen came out and she looked pretty uncomfortable