The Equalizer

Reign of Terror

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 11, 1985 on CBS

• McCall does his best to rectify the situation when the new doctor at a local clinic in gang territory is targeted by the vicious gang after she refuses to give them drugs as payment for working on their turf. One of my favourite episodes...

Compared to the typical episode, I found this story to have more of a 'comic book' sort of feel to it.

The gang, complete with their attire, hideout and transport, almost have a sort of 'Mad Max' feel to them, but I actually quite liked that, making them a different and more colourful group of villains than the norm.

The episode is very well written and paced; the only scene that does drag for me is when McCall goes to visit his old contact from his days in 'The Agency'. Although I get what they were aiming for, it is, for me, the only scene which slows down an otherwise great episode.

Doctor Elly is a good character, not being afraid to stand up to herself nor the gang. I would have liked to have seen her return in a later episode.

[Minor spoiler] McCall's climatic calling out of the citizens to stand up to the gang might not have been completely believable in a more standard-based episode, but here in this more comic book fare, it just about works. [End of mild spoiler]

All-in-all, this probably stands as one of my favourites of the series. I like the setting and its comic book feel, and everything about it.