The Equalizer

Torn

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 05, 1986 on CBS

• McCall is hired to protect a woman and her young daughter from her abusive husband about to be released from prison, but finds his time divided as he also tries to get even with a contact who betrayed him years before. Good story, reasonable episode...

This is an interesting story, but probably looked better on paper better than it ended up on screen. It is a fairly good episode, but could have been tightened up a bit here and there.

I suppose there are supposed to be parallels between the two plots, but I did feel that with the return of "Brain", whom McCall is determined to get even with after being betrayed years earlier, the other plot, of the woman and her daughter, got pushed into the background somewhat.

There is also a case of the pre-credits trailer giving away a little too much about the story; We see the man forcing his way into his wife's apartment, when it is quite a factor of the story that we are led to believe that he won't.

It is strange to see Melissa (Joan) Hart (a.k.a. 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch') so young, and is one of the many faces to look out for over the course of the series.

All-in-all, this is one of the better episodes at this point in the season (certainly better than the average previous story, 'Wash Up'), but isn't tight enough to make it into my Top 10 favourite episode list.