The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Any one else chearing on the aliens?

Skevast

[1]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 8

The Arrogant President wanting to lock them in for all time or choose to die. That is no choice what so ever. An Avarage human isn't 69 years old so at least statically they already gave up their life once. If he didn't get scared for nearly getting killed and lett them out they sould have changed the world for the better. Think what amount of knowledge they had to have thinking of their long life. I don't understand the problem just buuild a few thousand sky scrapers with alien technology. But the humans are so ignorant. He choose the wrong path the president and by doing so making his nightmare true. I just hope they kill everyone with some mysterious sicknes they can't get themselves, like rapid aging people daying in a year instaead of 100 years.

Adding to that she would have died if She didn't have all her peoples destiny on her shoulders. Such unprovakable violance. She was right making that speach that humans don't have the privillage to be sentient beings anymore after their actions. She warned him and he even broke his word by cutting it short by 2 minutes. She tried to minimize the damage giving it impact anyway. He had him self to blame.

Killing a whole race because of one being is psycotic. The most of them aren't criminals if any, just living ther lives. giving us technology we wouldn't have if not for them. They work and payed for themselves.

What scares me is that this is exactly what would happen if this was for real.We are the barbarians........

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gatoraderising

[2]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 7
    She only has her son to blame for it getting to this point. Its not that their only a few 100 of them. Her son wanted to bring alot more of their people here. Now they want to bring 2 billion people here. They have proven nothing more then us,they are also barbarian's...

Gislef

[3]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 104
    If "we" are "all" barbarians, why would anyone cheer on the aliens? Why are you, since you are part of "we"?

It is certainly possible that the acts of past presidents may have doomed the relationship between the two races from the start. But in the present, Sophia was the one who chose to lie to Martinez repeatedly, when he made efforts to reconcile the two.

Especially since the lie was pointless. Thomas saved the president in Florida, from traitors within Martinez's organization. Instead of taking credit for the save, Sophia continued the lie rather than reveal the presence of the sleepers.

She may have had good reason to be suspicious and lie to Martinez, but ultimately she met his honesty and attempt to make amends and give her people a home with dishonesty.
    Edited on 04/14/2011 11:12pm
    Edited 3 total times.

KingofIPirates

[4]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    Gislef wrote:
    Instead of taking credit for the save, Sophia continued the lie rather than reveal the presence of the sleepers.
    Uh.. I thought she already did take credit for the save when she told him that 'they saved us' then telling him that she hasn't told him everything yet.
    Edited on 04/18/2011 7:43pm

kanniballl

[5]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 18

Sophia is a hypocrit.

She calls foul against the President and thus passes judgement on all of humanity after her son is killed.

Meanwhile this was AFTER she just killed more than a bus load of people at the Washington monument.

All the while it was her son that pushed things this far. The whole 747assassinationthing, stealing nuclear material, planting spies, imploding a building during their escape, killing the soldiers at the prison, etc.

Meanwhile Sophia pushed things along too. Lying to the president, destroying the Washington monument, making veiled threats all of the time.

So humans are barbarians... OK I won't totally argue how a 3rd party might come to that conclusion. Plus the way her people doesn't exactly sing well for humanity. Locked up without representation or rights. Locked up for almost a whole lifetime. I imagine tortured during the early years. etc.

But Sophia's people weren't exactlysqueakyclean either. Which would be fine, except she's acting like they are perfect.

MrBovineOrdure

[6]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 6

At first I had sympathy for the aliens. For reasons described above and elsewhere, I don't any more.

Mr BO

danny7277

[7]May 2, 2011
    • level: 11

The president and his staff are annyoing!! But im cheering on the Humans because i like sean and leila!!

ngc244

[8]May 2, 2011
    • level: 1
    There were times when I wanted to root for the aliens simply because the Martinez Team of Imbeciles is so annoyingly stupid and incompetent that I wanted to see them destroyed. But of course that is really the writers of the show trying to string us along by making everything the ToI tries to do "miss me by this much". Perhaps that is why I switched to rooting for the show to be canceled instead!

It is hard for me to like very many of the characters in this show. I feel bad for Leila. Sterling has the classic problem of finding it hard to soar like an eagle while surrounded by turkeys though I find my respect for him growing. Simon is the lone decent person, the only one who seems to have a real concern for bridging the gap between the two groups. That is a bit unrealistic.

I have never had much sympathy for the aliens and if I ever do it will be because Simon somehow manages to redeem them. On paper, yeah, one would be sympathetic to their cause. In fact, no. They and they alone have the knowledge required to make peace overtures to the terrestrials and this they have utterly failed to do. Surely whatever technology they have would be a wonderful bargaining tool and it should easily allow the addition of 2.5 billion more humans (more on this below) to the Earth's population without killing off anyone. Sophia and the detainees had limited access to the channels of power for a long time, this is true. When that changed though they did nothing constructive. The sleepers had an unlimited freedom of action and they likewise chose to do nothing constructive with that. The alien's problems (including the supernova) are entirely their own doing and other than Simon's attitude we have seen nothing worth respecting from them. Nothing. I don't know how many of you have read Hitler's autobiography, Mein Kampf, but Sophia's philosophy has become alarmingly like his, even down to her language. How far removed is "permanent solution" from "final solution" (of course the final solution is not discussed in Mein Kampf). And the bulk of the alien population meekly follows along with first Thomas' and now Sophia's plans, both of which mean the "destruction of your world" according to Sophia. I am supposed to sympathize with or respect that? I cannot. The best I can do is to say that if Simon, Leila, and very reluctantly,Michael manage to change the alien intent to cooperation instead of genocide then as the world has done with the German nation after WWII, I can begin to see them as decent people who have been horribly lead astray and then take the lesson that perhaps all of us are potentially susceptible to the same fate.

One thing that is so obvious to me makes the alien intent even more impossible to respect. They are very nearly the same as us genetically and biochemistry-wise. We can mate with each other and produce live young. I don't know if it has been stated that the children are fertile with either group but I suspect that they are and with both groups. This can mean only one thing: we are all the same species. Somehow, in the distant past we all come from the same place. From Earth, probably, but definitely from some common origin. I favor the theory that some third party captured a group of early modern human beings from the Earth and took them to NGC253 for purposes that will be (or would have been) explained later. Martinez and the ToI cannot know this in detail and therefore they bear no burden to act accordingly though, gee whiz, they ought to be able to guess that there is a likely common origin of the two groups.

The aliens have no excuse. They know *everything*. They ought to be acting with a lot more compassion and wisdom than they have shown, especially since they have shown none of either. There ought to be no conflict between the two groups at all. This show ought to be about bridging the divide between the two groups, uniting them, and then dealing with this third party, whatever it is and whatever it plans. If they wanted to throw in that supernova thing (in a sensible fashion, not the one they chose) to spice up the first season, fine, that works for me too. Instead we have yet another remake of War Of The Worlds and you know what, even that would have worked if it had been well done. This effort is not.

No, I do not sympathize with these aliens.

Ken

kok_warlock

[9]May 4, 2011
    • level: 11
    danny7277 wrote:

The president and his staff are annyoing!! But im cheering on the Humans because i like sean and leila!!

I'm so cheering for the aliens, and this show is getting worst, with all the double-crossing among the aliens, talking about helping a president that just killed like 2/3 of them

Also Sean and Leila are the low points of the show, so damn unrealistic, Leila is as annoying as she is hot, by far the worst character in the whole show, the whole Sean story, was merely to show there were the "Guardians", at least there was a cover story, Leila is just one annoying, self-righteous b!tch, frankly, I still don't get it why he didn't nail Vicky, so much hotter and bada$$, unlike Leila who is just an a$$...

kanniballl

[10]May 10, 2011
    • level: 18

I had sympathy or the aliens at first: detained Gitmo-style for decades without any hope of release or parole.

Sophia seemed relatively nice, perhaps secretly manipulative but otherwise OK.

Now, I can't stand them. Sophia in particular is the biggest hypocrit on the show, and I can't stand hypocrits.

Her son instigated a war (or at least a large battle) with the US. Their people were moments away from freedom, and even though it was the humans (or that old-watcher-guy) that tried to crash the plane... there was at least hope that she could calm things down. But her son pushed things too far.

He kept pushing and pushing.

Now she thinks that humans are violent and all that, while she acts bats**t, yells at her own people, and decides to commit genocide.

They went from "peace is the way" and "we must not interfere with this planet's culture"

Then when the war-mongering son dies, it's "they're too violent... let's kill them all"

Yeh, they're more violent than us so they should all die. Wait, what?

Principles / Morals / Values / etc only mean something when you hold onto to them when things are tough.

If you throw them away the instant they become too inconvenient, well then you weren't that strong a believer in the first place.

Really, I want Sophia to die a horrible villain-worthy death.

Edited on 05/10/2011 8:04am
    Edited 2 total times.

MrBovineOrdure

[11]May 10, 2011
    • level: 6

kanniballl wrote:

Really, I want Sophia to die a horrible villain-worthy death.

Laura Innes does seem to play unsympathetic roles. I really hated her "Cary Weaver" character from ER and wanted to see an end to her equal to Dr. Romano's death of having a helicopter being dropped on him....

Mr BO.

Edited on 05/10/2011 1:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

cross_mr

[12]May 15, 2011
    • level: 9
    The only victory I hope the aliens have is in killing sean. I hate that character so much.

bonjovichick

[13]May 17, 2011
    • level: 16

No I like Sterling, Simon and Shawn so I prefer to cheer them on. I don't know what chearing is but I am pretty sure I wouldn't do it.

TrijnieWanders

[14]Jul 28, 2011
    • level: 2
    I totally agree with Skevast.