The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Bottom Line: Will You Keep Watching?

Will You Keep Watching?

MrBovineOrdure

[41]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 6

It's been fun so far. It's no LOST for certain though and I might agree with others that Flashforward was a lot more exciting. (At least it caused me to read MOST of Robert J Sawyer's novels)

I've become interested and this latest episode; "The message back" did a LOT of explaining right at the end so far as who these people are and why they're looking for a new home.

I'll follow it if they go on, there aren't many continuing-storyline shows on now-a-days and what few there are have been canceled. If they don't renew, I'm happy they've given the info they have and wouldn't be too disappointed.

Mr BO

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RizNYC

[42]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 5
    This show has gotten much better. The hokey Walker searching for Layla storyline is finally over and the actors who have serious chops are finally coming to the forefront. Plus story is much tighter. I was very on the fence about this show in the first set of episodes but now I'm really enjoying it.

csihawaii

[43]Mar 29, 2011
    • level: 1

I agree, the last 3 episodes have flown by. Those have been the 3 best episodes so far. I hope they don't cancel this show because it's picking up.

airizarr

[44]Apr 5, 2011
    • level: 6

Last night's episode was pretty good too. Hate it when a show starts hitting it off, once its headed for near certain cancellation.

sremnes

[45]Apr 6, 2011
    • level: 16

They promised us answer on what the event is midway through the season. 16 episodes in and we still have no clue. I love the show, and its not Lost, but they cerainly do the same as Lost. Bring up a hell lot of questions, and very few answers. Hope this changes soon.

cr1sty

[46]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 4

Crapy shows like Face Off are kept and the best shows like The Event gets caceled,let us have season 2!Cry

ngc244

[47]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 1
    I keep watching just to see where it ends up. I kinda hate myself for doing that though. The show had some good ideas and that meant it had a lot of promise. It desperately needed some guidance from real, respected science fiction authors though and even though they are a dime a dozen in California NBC seems not to have employed any of them as consultants on this. As a result scientific improbabilities are piled one on another, deeper and deeper, and nary an explanation of why they are possible in this imagined universe or even an acknowledgement that they exist. I presume the show's writers do not know enough science to know that they exist. Sadly, that alone kills the show for many SF fans who could otherwise be counted on to support it.

Ordinary literary conventions fare no better. The Martinez administration is inept beyond belief. Character development and plausible character motivation are non-existent. After all these episodes I still do not know why the ETs came here or why they cannot make any attempt whatsoever to negotiate a mutually beneficial solution to their looming catastrophe with the terrestrial humans. To really get into this show I need to know that and I have nothing. I get the feeling the writer's never asked themselves this question.

In the end it is a barely mediocre show that could easily have been so much better. One of the best SF shows ever, in fact. I guess that is what hurts most, for the want of some better writing and competent SF consultants it appears to be destined to be swallowed up by that supernova, and as it currently exists I have a hard time protesting that it does not deserve that fate.

Ken