The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Cancellation Thread: The Event

Gislef

[1]May 13, 2011
    • level: 100
    As of today, 5/13/11, NBChas announced the cancellation of several bubble shows, including The Event.

Please address all general and specific discussion here, including petition suggestions.
    Edited on 05/13/2011 5:19pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hal9000_basic

[2]May 13, 2011
    • level: 8

I've recorded the Episodes to watch later. Is it worth watching and will there be a conclusion?

KingofIPirates

[3]May 13, 2011
    • level: 32
    Can't say that I'm shocked really; too many deficiencies in this series.

sremnes

[4]May 14, 2011
    • level: 16

Lets hope they have a good ending, explaining everything. I mean they cant end the show with people not knowing what the event is still ?

Keguri

[5]May 14, 2011
    • level: 12
    Hellooo

As someone who hasn't watched the show yet, I've always thought it seemed really interesting and was waiting for summer to catch up, I gotta ask.. Is it worth starting to watch, now that it's cancelled?
    I'm sure it's an awesome show, but the worst thing ever is to watch a show, get into it and then never get an answer to the mystery of the show, because of cancellation. So what do you guys think?

sremnes

[6]May 14, 2011

Nobody knows yet, check back in a couple of weeks after the finale. Hopefully everything will be anwered in those 2 episodes that are left.

BillyRoche1

[7]May 14, 2011
    • level: 2

Just read this on Huffington Post.

Link

According to Deadline.com, there is a rumour floating around that as part of Netflix plan to host original programming, they will take on series discarded by networks. The article noted that The Event is to be the first show to do this.

Do you think this is a credible rumour and would you like to see Netflix do this?

I know that I would love to see some show I love get picked up by Netflix.

BillyRoche1

[8]May 14, 2011
    • level: 2
    link didn't embed right (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/netflix-the-event_n_861893.html)

danharr

[9]May 14, 2011
    • level: 45

Not surprised but lol on tv.com not doing a friday update for nbc.

cross_mr

[10]May 15, 2011
    • level: 9
    Wow what a shock.
    TV networks are their own worst enemy. No one wants to get invested in shows because they're cancelling them left right and center. After that "persons unknown" debacle last summer, I was loathe to even get involved in this show, but I finally decided to give it a shot, and NBC pulls the plug again.

MrBovineOrdure

[11]May 15, 2011
    • level: 6

Doesn't surprise me either. If there are only 2 shows left, then chances are, they're in the can already. I doubt there will be answers.

Regarding Netflix, I've canceled my Dish subscription. Mostly because I only watched two channels, but also because I was unemployed and needed to cut back somewhere. I just got a job and have been considering a Netflix subscription mostly for their online material. Them continuing this series would clinch that decision.

Mr BO.

Zawman13

[12]May 15, 2011
    • level: 3

Was just getting back into this show, i watched the first 6 episodes when they aired, forgot about it, then watched the newest 12 after, and then started watching them on tv....but at least their cancelling the event because they are morons and not because they want to destroy their network, unlike SYFY who are cancelling science fiction shows and replacing them with cooking, reality, and fake wrestling programs....its real sad....but if what one guy heard about netflix is true, i hope they not only pick this up, but also Stargate Universe...that was left open ended with nothing being resolved....

ngc244

[13]May 16, 2011
    • level: 1
    No one can tell you if watching the shows you have recorded is worth your time. Like a lot of people I would say no, I only watch to see the conclusion of this mess, assuming there is one, and by rights NBC should pay me to watch it. Other people profess to love it. They say it is the best show ever. That reaction is beyond belief for me but that is the variety of taste that is human nature, I guess.

Now naturally the show's big fans are elated about the Netflix rumor and many of them will tell you that it is a done deal. I think that is wishful thinking more than anything else at this point but it is certainly possible that Netflix, or someone, will pick it up. The premise, the cast, and the production values are quite good, it is the writing that is abysmal. That could be fixed and I think that decent writing is all it would have taken to make the show a success for NBC. The show got off to a good start, probably faltered because too many viewers were put off by the complexity of the flashback technique, and then died not, in my opinion, because of the hiatus itself but because the writing changes the hiatus was probably instituted to allow just sucked. Oh, the plot lines suddenly became linear in time and easy to follow and the pacing became frenetic to say the least, but it was all sound and fury signifying nothing and things like fidelity to SF norms and believable character motivation and development just went right out the window.

All I can say is that I would not pay anything to watch this show if the writing continues to be as pathetic as it was this season. If Netflix does pick it up and my wife has not already used the free Netflix subscription offer by then I may tune it in for free for a month next season and see what they did to the writing.

A scene showing the present writers dying from Sophia's virus might be enough to win me over....

Ken

antdude

[14]May 16, 2011
    • level: 27
    Tonight's episode preview for the finale said "season finale". Eh?

kanniballl

[15]May 17, 2011
    • level: 18

Keguri wrote:
    Hellooo As someone who hasn't watched the show yet, I've always thought it seemed really interesting and was waiting for summer to catch up, I gotta ask.. Is it worth starting to watch, now that it's cancelled?

I doubt it, since the season finale will probably leave too many questions un-answered which will drive you crazy.

But it's possible they saw the writing on the wall and put together something that could be either a season or series finale.

I cut the show a lot of slack in the beginning. There's so little science fiction on today, especially on network TV, so I appreciated the attempt.

And at first it seemed like it had a lot of promise, with similarities to "The 4400" mixed in with some action. Really, I had high hopes.

But some of the story lines stopped making sense.

And some of the real-world logic / physics started breaking. Not the futuristic sci fi artistic license, but regular every-day stuff. Choking in a fire one minute, then sprinting across the fields the next. Stating how the Spanish Flu could kill in minutes/hours upon infection. etc

And someone that looked like they might be an interesting character decided to just off himself out of nowhere.

To top it all off, Sophia (one of the main characters) went from interesting and complex to an insane hypocrite. She more or less says: "We are peaceful and superior. They are violent, an unforgivable trait. Therefore we must kill all 6-billion of them."
    Wait, what?

Meanwhile also blaming the humans for escalating the hostilities when it was her son that did most of the escalation.

Some of the characters I wasn't too fond of in the beginning, I've warmed up to recently. But not enough to overcome the whole Sophia and Vice President thing.

Edited on 05/17/2011 7:14am

paoros16

[16]May 17, 2011

I kind of ew it was going to be cancelled but if they dont have a good ending then thie whole timeI have been watching will be wasted.

MonkeyPasta

[18]May 17, 2011
    • level: 8

Jason57892 wrote:

No wrap up at all for the final of The Event. All these un finished shows that don't have an ending to wrap up the series. In future I won't bother watching any new show until it has survived at least 3 seasons.

It's three years, dude. 99% that you'll forget the show. I won't bother 3 y. o. show ever.

Bytor65

[19]May 17, 2011
    hal9000_basic wrote:

I've recorded the Episodes to watch later. Is it worth watching and will there be a conclusion?

It was never worth watching IMO, that is part of the reason, it is going away.

Simpuhl

[20]May 19, 2011
    U got to be JOKING

[21]May 21, 2011
    • level: 9

This show followed FlashForward's demise...to much mystery with bad scripts. second half of season after hiatus wasnt that good for me.