The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: A Message Back (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 3/21/11 episode "A Message Back" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 32
    Yet another mediocre episode, storyline seemed to trudge from one scene to the next and the crux of the plot introduced in the beginning eventually felt like nothing more than a stall tactic as it took practically the entire episode for Thomas to reveal this big secret.

antdude

[3]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 27
    Snoozer until the ending. However, next week's episode looks good or is it?

MrBovineOrdure

[4]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 6

I just got done watching Lost in Space (TV 1966) on Hulu so I got use to playing fast and loose with science, but I don't expect that on this show.

The closest star system; Alpha Centari is 4.5 light years away. Any message sent there would take that long to get there and take as much time to travel back. (and much longer for other star systems)

OK, let's say they have some high level technology to get the message there faster. The radio-telescope shown at the beginning of this episode capture spectrum that travel at light speed. Even if they sent the message to the nearest system and it got there instantly, the message the radio telescopes could receive would still take at least 4.5 years to receive.

The only other explaination is that there's some repeater nearby. One that can send and receive the usual radio spectra between it and earth, and then send and receive higher speed transmissions from wherever these people are from.

Still, I enjoy this show and hope they won't cancel it as seems the fate of so many other continuing-storyline shows.

Mr BO

haldrey

[5]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 22
    This is fiction, fiction and maybe poorly designed fiction. The episode was a little bit slow at the beginning but got interesting toward the end. Looks like an all out war in the future.

MrBovineOrdure

[6]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 6

True, it's fiction. I'm hoping that there might be a clue here of some sort.

Bad science fictions are demonstrated by showing the space shuttle orbiting without it's bay doors open because it "looks cooler". (I cringe when I see that as the astronauts and everything on board would fry pretty quickly yet Hollywood keeps making that mistake.)

A great Sci-fi show would take and inconsistency like this and use it to expound on something unexpected. Later you could say; "Wow! we were given that clue several episodes back!".

I'm hoping this is the case as opposed to them later confusing the terms "Galaxy" and "Universe".

Mr BO

Just_Jos

[7]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 11

This episode was pretty good, But next's looks more exciting.

priyanthab

[8]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 2

I dont think there will be any thing big in the start of next episode. There will be a small fire fight and people will give them selves up or even without a fight coz sophia is not the fighting type. Or Thomas would do some magic and disappear or some thing. If any thing better than what I though happens them I'm eager to see it.

danharr

[9]Mar 31, 2011
    • level: 45

It didn't bother me but yeah it was cheap to hold the secret till the end and not have much in the middle the VP show down was weak and like this show's Sarah Palin why hasn't somebody hit him with a syringe full of poison?