The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Arrival (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 23, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/23/11 episode "Arrival" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]May 23, 2011
    • level: 32
    Fairly good episode, the plot was surprisingly entertaining for the most part even though a few aspects were quite predictable(Martinez recording Jarvis). The conversation Sean had with Sophia was probably the best dialogue in the entire series but the ending(while interesting) through me for a loop. So they transported their entire planet... away from the supernova... Huh? Why again do they need to wipe out the indigenous population? Only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with them going through some evolutionary peak(The Event) and it that will harm 'lower lifeforms' not going through that process. But again this was not properly explained and probably never will.
    Edited on 05/23/2011 7:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

lazyboi637

[3]May 23, 2011
    • level: 3
    maybe by bringing the entire planet over, it causes earth to experience massive natural disasters which destroys life. kind of like how the moon affects the tide. i wish they wrapped up everything nicely since it is cancelled.

Xaviii

[4]May 23, 2011

Amazingly cool ending, and hopefully the show will be picked up again, there is already talks about it.

:
    UPDATE: No surprise there - NBC has pulled the plug on the low-rated sci-fi drama The Event, which started off strongly but quickly fizzled. But there is a twist, and it's not only the big surprise planned by the producers for the finale. Talks are underway with at least one distribution partner to take over the serialized drama. The Event executive producer Steve Stark wouldn't comment, but I hear new original programming player Netflix's name tossed around. Word is that there has been interest from several cable and digital entities. Stark said that they are exploring the opportunities with the "full support" of the studio, UMS. "NBC has been an amazing partner, it launched the show beautifully," he said. Added creator Nick Wauters: "We have a dedicated fan base, and we promised them we will deliver one way or another and will continue to tell our stories."
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/nbc-cancels-the-event-too/

With that ending I am dying to know more!

gk_terato

[5]May 23, 2011
    • level: 9

I actually really enjoyed this series besides the whole sean/leila/spy girl portion. Leila getting pregnant felt so cliche and predictable..when the doctor said "we found something else" i thought to myself..no way she is pregnant. that is just too damn cheesy and predictable even for this show..but then wow, how wrong was i... +1 about the recording..very predictable.. everything else was entertaining though.

KingofIPirates

[6]May 23, 2011
    lazyboi637 wrote:
    maybe by bringing the entire planet over, it causes earth to experience massive natural disasters which destroys life. kind of like how the moon affects the tide. i wish they wrapped up everything nicely since it is cancelled.
    Yeah, but due to the gravity of both planets it would eventurally kind of spell doom to them as well due to their seemingly close proximity.

antdude

[7]May 23, 2011
    • level: 27
    Good episode, but darn cliffhanger for a series finale. They should had ended the terrorist, not left with a cliffhanger, and leave something else for 15 minutes at the end.

Hamzie

[8]May 24, 2011
    Explain this

When wanting to cure martinez .. agent lee planned giving the cure to the first lady.

so that meant the first lady was human since agent lee wouldnt have given it to a sleeper.. as she wouldve obeyed sophia and destroyed the cure

but in the end.. first lady says 'home' ...which means she is a sleeper oiafhawoifhaihfawfhawf

so......im meant to believe agent lee never knew the first lady was a sleeper?
    please.

kraylith

[9]May 24, 2011
    • level: 10

If only the show was this interesting or coherent in the beginning.

Also, really, REALLY tired of the "I'm/You're pregnant" revelations in shows. Every damn show nowadays seems to have to have it now ... -.-

Also, Sophia isn't really the best choice for an antagonist, even now she's just annoying, not threatening or anything really.

And Leila, for a, sorta, female lead she never caught my interest.

Seriously, revealing the first lady as one of the others after all in the very last scene of the show? C'mon.

But moving the whole planet there, didn't see that coming, very very nice.

However - what the hell, why did they have to make room on Earth when they were gonna move the whole planet anyway? Their sun was going supernova, not their planet. Their planet was apparently still unaffected enough for them to be able to live there. Now it's in our sweet spot, should cool down and they'd just be able to live there, right? What was the damn problem in the first place?

Are they now gonna move their people to Earth after all? So it's easier to transport a whole damn planet than moving people?

Edited on 05/24/2011 12:39am

dac2502

[10]May 24, 2011

i love this show and in the ending it was scary.I just don't understand why they cancel show like this?

And i still have questions,what will happen will they go to war,what's the next level of evolution?

KingofIPirates

[11]May 24, 2011
    kraylith wrote:
    Seriously, revealing the first lady as one of the others after all in the very last scene of the show?
    Well they did give strong hints earlier that she was one of the others in the episode where Martinez was under pressure to test whether or not his wife was an alien as she was the only holdout in the White House.
    Hamzie wrote:
    Explain this

When wanting to cure martinez .. agent lee planned giving the cure to the first lady.

so that meant the first lady was human since agent lee wouldnt have given it to a sleeper.. as she wouldve obeyed sophia and destroyed the cure

but in the end.. first lady says 'home' ...which means she is a sleeper oiafhawoifhaihfawfhawf

so......im meant to believe agent lee never knew the first lady was a sleeper?
    please.
    Apparently, though it seems to me that she no longer follows Sophia and abandoned her people.

MikeMuller1

[12]May 24, 2011
    • level: 5

Or she refers to home as her real home. She might be one of the natives of that world, we already know that Sophia's people don't mind wiping out entire populations for their own sake. So it might have happened before when they went from Earth to their current planet.

The recording actually took me by surprise because it wasn't needed. Martinez could have just shown them that he stopped the biological attack, he had proof that he was right.

ngc244

[13]May 24, 2011
    • level: 1
    MikeMuller1 wrote:

The recording actually took me by surprise because it wasn't needed. Martinez could have just shown them that he stopped the biological attack, he had proof that he was right.

Yeah, he really had proof but the thing that surprised me most about the recording is that it is the first smart thing that Martinez has done all season, even if it was unnecessary.

The First Lady's true nature has been a mystery up until now. I was fairly certain that she was an alien but when Martinez got the antidote she muttered a prayer. At that point I knew that if she was an alien she has completely "gone native". So I don't think it is inconsistent that Sophia never tried to use her or that Simon could, and did, trust her to save Martinez. Though alien she is one of us. Simon always had divided loyalty but in the sense that he wants both groups to survive, he loves both and just has trouble seeing what the best thing to do is at any given moment. I find him and the First Lady entirely believable and admirable.

I kind of expected them to bring the alien planet to our solar system. I didn't quite believe that they would but it did not surprise me.

As for the true nature of the aliens and their transformation I cannot be sure, of course, but the little we know seems consistent with them being loosely based on Larry Niven's Pak. The Wikipedia article (do a search on Pak Protector) will give you the details, I think, Wikipedia seems to be down right now. If they and we were Pak-like creatures it would explain the species identity between us and them (which is certain now that we find that Leila is pregnant). They are expecting to transform into Pak Protectors, perhaps, and normally one would expect that to be the end of the Earthly humans who are mere Pak Breeders and who would not "smell right" to them. But in Niven's stories we mutant Breeders always find a way to survive and sometimes even cooperate with Pak Protectors.... Ken

skajkingdom

[14]May 24, 2011
    • level: 5

Don't know why some of you keep asking "why did they have to make room if they were bringing their whole planet anyway" - haven't you seen that half of the planet was covered with RIPS OF LAVA?

Which means it is going to be destroyed or inhabitable very soon. Even so, it seemed very unstable (as if it was about to explode any minute).

Bytor65

[15]May 24, 2011
    • level: 6
    Bringing in a whole planet kind of makes the whole plot moot.

If they can simply move their planet to a new star system, why didn't they do that long ago? Stars have a life cycle, even with our technology we could tell when our star was running into problems long before it reached critical stage. The universe may be short on life sustaining planets, but stars with millions of stable years left are plentiful.

It makes no sense that a few crash survivors can pull off the planetary move, but the whole planet of beings with advanced technology could not.

But then again, nothing really makes sense on this show.

gk_terato

[16]May 24, 2011
    i think they needed a point to teleport to..seems like they needed the array as a destination. They chose earth probably because it would be near impossible for them to build such a large array on their own somewhere else, but instead chose to advance the humans' technology and use that build an array.

clamshells

[17]May 24, 2011
    • level: 2

this was the first thing that came to mind when the planet teleported in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision

now i feel like this whole series was just leading up to another 2012 doomsday "event"

Just_Jos

[18]May 24, 2011
    • level: 11

There was no doubt that the first lady was sleeper, Finally "The Event" was explained (By simon), Martinez using a tape recorder to catch Jarvis was pretty predicatable and the final seconds of the episode were pretty crazy.Other than that, pretty good finale. Stinks that the show is not getting renewed.

Bytor65

[19]May 24, 2011
    • level: 6
    gk_terato wrote:
    i think they needed a point to teleport to..seems like they needed the array as a destination. They chose earth probably because it would be near impossible for them to build such a large array on their own somewhere else, but instead chose to advance the humans' technology and use that build an array.

You are just making excuses for the bad comic book science.

Stars don't just go Super Nova, they have very predictable life cycles. You could see this coming a million years back. With the technology they have, they should have been found the closest star with a good billion years life left in front of it, went there and built an array and pop in their planet before everything went to heck. Better yet it would have been predictable when they arrived, why even go to such a doomed planet.

That they needed a handful of crash survivor on a primitive planet to do this is quite ridiculous. Everything in this show is at a bad comic book level.

gk_terato

[20]May 24, 2011
    lol probably.. but not much of a story there...i dont really care either way that was just what occured to me lol...