The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Arrival (possible spoilers)

MrBovineOrdure

[21]May 24, 2011
    • level: 6

If you can move an entire planet, you could just have moved it to the other side of the sun in the Earth orbit. No tidal problems, you still have your planet, aliens don't have to abandon their houses, or notify the utilities and paperboy of your address change or conduct an untidy genocide. It's likely that we wouldn't even know about the arrival of their planet for another several decades. (We have a set of stereo-optic satellites observing the sun, but I don't think they're looking in that vicinity.)

If you have technology to do that, you likely could just send a "Stargate" platform to the other side of the sun with loads of power to accomplish this. They knew this was happening, why else would they have sent Sophia and her merry tribe here 60 years ago? It's not like they didn't have time to prepare. (Not that seeing a huge burning planet in the sky eclipsing the moon wasn't a cool effect.)

I was pretty eager to see another season, but this stretched incredulity too far. Sorry, I won't miss this series ignominious end.

I like continuing storyline shows, but this one lost it's brains.....

Mr BO

Edited on 05/24/2011 4:16pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[22]May 24, 2011
    • level: 32
    skajkingdom wrote:

Don't know why some of you keep asking "why did they have to make room if they were bringing their whole planet anyway" - haven't you seen that half of the planet was covered with RIPS OF LAVA?

Which means it is going to be destroyed or inhabitable very soon. Even so, it seemed very unstable (as if it was about to explode any minute).

Doubtful it could explode as it's unlikely the internal forces of the planet would be able to overcome it's own gravity. An example of an extremely volatile body is the moon lo where it's volcanoes can shoot lava hundreds of miles into space. Not to mention if rips of lava are coming to the surface it makes it all the more unlikely it'll explode as it allows the pressure in the core to escape.
    Edited on 05/24/2011 6:59pm

JayFight

[23]May 24, 2011
    • level: 2

the way i see it (and most of this is probably wrong) is sophias people were the first civilization on earth and they left, they probably didn't have a portal array to teleport them to the new world so most likely they used starships and took the long way and when they found a suitable planet colonized it.

now maybe the sun wasn't going nova naturally maybe some of the technology they created included something that adversely effected their sun and started it going nova some time ago and so they sent out teams to try and find out if earth was re-inhabitable and if not maybe build a portal array to bring their planet into a counter rotation to earth.

but when they arrived their spaceship was badly damaged and it crashed so they lost what tech they had brought with them, now some were captured and others went out into the world to try and advance human science to the point of making a portal to return to their planet and retrieve extra tech to make said portal array on the other side of the sun.

but instead found out that their sun was worse then they thought and it was about to go much sooner then expected, so the new plan was to use the tech they had here to just bring their planet over since they didn't have time to get an array on the counter side and so they were trying to get rid of the humans so that when their planet comes over the resulting gravitational forces would only destroy the planet and not cause undo torture to the finale moments of us

Edited on 05/24/2011 10:58pm

srfin2007

[24]May 25, 2011
    • level: 1

I do not really understand why President Martinez didn't find a way to contact the Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Cylons, or even the Borg to stop that insanity of moving an entire planet in between the Earth and the Moon.

CharlesTheBold

[25]May 25, 2011
    • level: 7

So which show thought up the "alient planet appears in the sky" first -- THE EVENT or SMALLVILLE?

As for the Event, that would "transform" the aliens and endanger humans, it sounds like the writers got it from Sir Arthur Clarke's "CHILDHOOD'S END".

I expected that Martinez would function long enough to stop the crisis, then drop dead from over-exersion, thus giving the character a noble way out after botching the crisis for so long. But it didn't happen.

pedersendm

[26]May 26, 2011

I suppose it's a semi-good episode.

The whole pregnant part almost made me throw up, so cliché.

I do like that we received a bit more information concerning the so-called "Event". Naturally we got interrupted before it became to tricky to explain.

I doubt that anyone expect Leila to actually die. Now that she's pregnant she's safe and sound.

Tape recording, avoiding the release of the virus and not to mention Sean saving the day was all way too predictable.

I did enjoy the dialogue between Sophia and Sean in the airport, and the ending was somewhat satisfying.

Will I watch a season two? Meh.. Maybe. I do like the show, but it's going down hill I'm afraid.

Tsokoa

[27]May 26, 2011

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

If you can move an entire planet, you could just have moved it to the other side of the sun in the Earth orbit. No tidal problems, you still have your planet, aliens don't have to abandon their houses, or notify the utilities and paperboy of your address change or conduct an untidy genocide. It's likely that we wouldn't even know about the arrival of their planet for another several decades. (We have a set of stereo-optic satellites observing the sun, but I don't think they're looking in that vicinity.)

If you have technology to do that, you likely could just send a "Stargate" platform to the other side of the sun with loads of power to accomplish this. They knew this was happening, why else would they have sent Sophia and her merry tribe here 60 years ago? It's not like they didn't have time to prepare. (Not that seeing a huge burning planet in the sky eclipsing the moon wasn't a cool effect.)

I was pretty eager to see another season, but this stretched incredulity too far. Sorry, I won't miss this series ignominious end.

I like continuing storyline shows, but this one lost it's brains.....

Mr BO

Yes, with such a technology if they are able to teleport a whole planet they could have beamed it elsewhere or even have moved another planet in another star systeme to terraform it. Anyway since they knew their sun was dying they most likely had some backup plan or else they wouldreally make a pity of advanced aliens.

steheaps

[28]May 27, 2011
    It was just another badly written episode in a show that seems to have fell off a cliff after the Pilot. I think only the actor who played Sean has come out of this with any credit. It just became a garbled mess of sc-fi, action and drama with hardly any continuation over even a few episodes.
    I mean, killing nearly all humans by a slow torturous disease is more humane than moving a planet? Then if they were going to move their planet in the first place what was the point of the whole series so far?
    I thought at the end when Sophia said 'something less humane' they were going to transport several billion humans to the aliens home planet, and at the same time transport their people over here, which would have made more sense, but still the humane part seems to make no sense at all.
    And then with the whole Sophia changing her mind every two minutes, will she kill all humans or won't she? And for all the aliens over plans that seem to have been prepared rigorously, the release of the disease seems to unravel mightly easily.
    Overall, its a show that promised a whole lot in the Pilot (like Flashforward last year) but lost its way several time during the season. Maybe networks should only schedule 13 episodes for new shows so they can plan out the whole season and actually have a consistent story.

miketh2005

[29]May 27, 2011
    steheaps wrote:
    It was just another badly written episode in a show that seems to have fell off a cliff after the Pilot. I think only the actor who played Sean has come out of this with any credit. It just became a garbled mess of sc-fi, action and drama with hardly any continuation over even a few episodes.
    I mean, killing nearly all humans by a slow torturous disease is more humane than moving a planet? Then if they were going to move their planet in the first place what was the point of the whole series so far?
    I thought at the end when Sophia said 'something less humane' they were going to transport several billion humans to the aliens home planet, and at the same time transport their people over here, which would have made more sense, but still the humane part seems to make no sense at all.
    And then with the whole Sophia changing her mind every two minutes, will she kill all humans or won't she? And for all the aliens over plans that seem to have been prepared rigorously, the release of the disease seems to unravel mightly easily.
    Overall, its a show that promised a whole lot in the Pilot (like Flashforward last year) but lost its way several time during the season. Maybe networks should only schedule 13 episodes for new shows so they can plan out the whole season and actually have a consistent story.

I loved Flashforward. It was really slow at first, but the last few episodes rocked. Just like this show. Almost everyone is trying to point out plotholes, when there really isn't any.

Slow and tortuous? I hate people who try to point of plot holes who clearly missed a few episodes themselves. They used Leila to make a mutant Spanish Flu virus which kills a lot faster than Spanish Flu. The Sailors on the boat could have been there for a few days, even weeks for all we know.

They needed the PORTAL ARRAY IN ORDER to move their planet. That was the point of the series. >.> I can't believe how people can miss this. My guess is, the instability will cause either planet to die, and there will be a massive war. Which is definitely less humane than a quick killing disease. The point is, we don't know, so it's not really a plot hole, yet. Hopefully, it will be explained on Netflix, or a cable network.

Sophia had principles at first, but the death of her son pushed her overboard. The death of a loved one can do lots to a person, and this is entirely acceptable as a plot. The only thing they could have done was to show her torment more than they did. She still had doubts along the way, though. She was not changing her mind every 2 seconds.

Their plans were perfect, because they were not planning in anyone finding out. You could say they made a mistake by keeping the plans on a computer, but that is definitely nit-picking. Remember, they didn't have long to make these plans to begin with! They had a very very limited time to do this and anything could've went wrong. People take years to plan bank robberies and sometimes things go wrong. They had to take over whole factories, of course things could go wrong. They made plans, but they couldn't make plans for the unexpected (Them finding out). Just like 24, and no one complained about that show, did they?

Entirely acceptable plotlines.

Bytor65

[30]May 27, 2011
    miketh2005 wrote:

I loved Flashforward. It was really slow at first, but the last few episodes rocked. Just like this show. Almost everyone is trying to point out plotholes, when there really isn't any.

Just like this show Flashforward was a Lost wannabe with weak cast. Weak cast = dead show IMO. I liked FF at first, but the dishrag limp cast killed it for me. The Event was just preposterous from the start.

:

Slow and tortuous? I hate people who try to point of plot holes who clearly missed a few episodes themselves. They used Leila to make a mutant Spanish Flu virus which kills a lot faster than Spanish Flu.

Actually you have it backwards. The super flu they found killed too quick and they used Leila to make it kill slower.

:

They needed the PORTAL ARRAY IN ORDER to move their planet. That was the point of the series. >.> I can't believe how people can miss this. My guess is, the instability will cause either planet to die, and there will be a massive war. Which is definitely less humane than a quick killing disease. The point is, we don't know, so it's not really a plot hole, yet. Hopefully, it will be explained on Netflix, or a cable network.

As I mentioned previously, if a few crash survivors could make a planet moving array in secret from spare part on a technologically backward Earth. The full resources of the advanced planet should have moved it long, long ago.

Star don't die randomly, they have very predictable and long life cycles. For instance we know our Sun has a good BILLION years in front of it before it starts causing us issues. Heck they pretty much had to know by the time they arrived that their new star was on its last legs.

The galaxy may not be full of habitable planets but it is full of stars with billions of years left. The could move to any one of them.

The whole event claptrap is also just plain silly. They left because if they stayed they were going to experience "The Event" where they ascend and we all die (sounds like "The Rapture"). How did they know that? They can see the future? All the more reason they shouldn't have went a planet with a doomed star.

The premise was preposterous, the scenes were preposterous, the acting/characters where weak. Most people called this failure after the pilot and they were right.

miketh2005

[31]May 27, 2011
    Bytor65 wrote:
    miketh2005 wrote:

Just like this show Flashforward was a Lost wannabe with weak cast. Weak cast = dead show IMO. I liked FF at first, but the dishrag limp cast killed it for me. The Event was just preposterous from the start.

:

Slow and tortuous? I hate people who try to point of plot holes who clearly missed a few episodes themselves. They used Leila to make a mutant Spanish Flu virus which kills a lot faster than Spanish Flu.

Actually you have it backwards. The super flu they found killed too quick and they used Leila to make it kill slower.

:

As I mentioned previously, if a few crash survivors could make a planet moving array in secret from spare part on a technologically backward Earth. The full resources of the advanced planet should have moved it long, long ago.

Star don't die randomly, they have very predictable and long life cycles. For instance we know our Sun has a good BILLION years in front of it before it starts causing us issues. Heck they pretty much had to know by the time they arrived that their new star was on its last legs.

The galaxy may not be full of habitable planets but it is full of stars with billions of years left. The could move to any one of them.

The whole event claptrap is also just plain silly. They left because if they stayed they were going to experience "The Event" where they ascend and we all die (sounds like "The Rapture"). How did they know that? They can see the future? All the more reason they shouldn't have went a planet with a doomed star.

The premise was preposterous, the scenes were preposterous, the acting/characters where weak. Most people called this failure after the pilot and they were right.

You got me on the virus thing. :/

They were more technologically advanced meaning more problems involved with technology. They could have had some technology that messed up the life cycle of their sun. You said it yourself, the galaxy is not full of habitable planets. They need a habitable planet in order to build the portal array. They couldn't build it on Mars for instance.

We don't know how "The Event" is going to be explained, yet, so we can't really nit-pick at holes in thin air, here...

Your opinion about acting is all that matters, right? I thought all of the acting was great, except Leila. Heck, even the extras were good at being extras(In the Mall, they stopped and looked around at what was going on. I've seen movie where they would just up and start running).

I also didn't see anything wrong with FF actors, but they weren't as good as The Event's.

As I've said on IMDB before, I'd hate to be a movie critic, because you can't enjoy anything that way. The actors were sufficient in believing the fantasy world they tried to portray, and that is good enough.

Bytor65

[32]May 27, 2011

miketh2005 wrote:
    You said it yourself, the galaxy is not full of habitable planets. They need a habitable planet in order to build the portal array. They couldn't build it on Mars for instance.

Why would they need a habitable planet to build an Array on? They have probably managed to build a space suits by now. Heck they could simply build an array ship fly it where-ever they want to move the planet to. It simply makes no sense that that a few crash survivors can slap together planet moving tech, but the whole advanced planet couldn't do much better.

:
    Your opinion about acting is all that matters, right? I thought all of the acting was great, except Leila. Heck, even the extras were good at being extras(In the Mall, they stopped and looked around at what was going on. I've seen movie where they would just up and start running). I also didn't see anything wrong with FF actors, but they weren't as good as The Event's.

Some of them turned in serviceable performances, but None of them in Event/FF could hold a candle the the characters on Lost, I don't blame it on acting ability, it is a combination of better casting/scene writing/directing/acting that created Lost characterswhich had intrigue/chemistry/charisma/gravitas completely lacking in bland Event/FF characters.

Are you seriously going to compare Jack/Sawyer/Ben/Locke/Sayid/Desmond/etc to the bland cookie cutter characters on Event/FF?? I already forget the name of the limp Event/FF characters. If Ritter was on Lost, he would have been Boone, not one of the leads.

I would think anyone being objective would recognize the vastly superior character performances on Lost vs Event/FF.

Edited on 05/27/2011 9:01pm

VConn

[33]May 27, 2011
    • level: 17

Pretty damn good ending when you consider NBC didn't have the "balls"to renew it, Most of the story lines were wrapped up nicely leaving a potentially good story to tell had there been a second season, I hope the producers manage to find a network or other medium that has the balls to make and show a second season.

danharr

[34]May 29, 2011
    • level: 45

Well the dialogue with Sean and Sofia agreed best of the series and not only did Leia live she's pregnant oh the suck just continues eh. The big reveal is we bring our whole freakin planet and the first lady is a super super sleeper agent. Well at least it was consistent it left as it came equal parts mediocre and often times lame.

cowboy2831

[35]May 29, 2011
    • level: 15

srfin2007 wrote:

I do not really understand why President Martinez didn't find a way to contact the Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Cylons, or even the Borg to stop that insanity of moving an entire planet in between the Earth and the Moon.

No kidding! Any self-respecting president would have done that. Cool

miketh2005

[36]May 30, 2011

Bytor65 wrote:

miketh2005 wrote:
    You said it yourself, the galaxy is not full of habitable planets. They need a habitable planet in order to build the portal array. They couldn't build it on Mars for instance.

Why would they need a habitable planet to build an Array on? They have probably managed to build a space suits by now. Heck they could simply build an array ship fly it where-ever they want to move the planet to. It simply makes no sense that that a few crash survivors can slap together planet moving tech, but the whole advanced planet couldn't do much better.

:
    Your opinion about acting is all that matters, right? I thought all of the acting was great, except Leila. Heck, even the extras were good at being extras(In the Mall, they stopped and looked around at what was going on. I've seen movie where they would just up and start running). I also didn't see anything wrong with FF actors, but they weren't as good as The Event's.

Some of them turned in serviceable performances, but None of them in Event/FF could hold a candle the the characters on Lost, I don't blame it on acting ability, it is a combination of better casting/scene writing/directing/acting that created Lost characterswhich had intrigue/chemistry/charisma/gravitas completely lacking in bland Event/FF characters.

Are you seriously going to compare Jack/Sawyer/Ben/Locke/Sayid/Desmond/etc to the bland cookie cutter characters on Event/FF?? I already forget the name of the limp Event/FF characters. If Ritter was on Lost, he would have been Boone, not one of the leads.

I would think anyone being objective would recognize the vastly superior character performances on Lost vs Event/FF.

A Portal Array ship? We know they are technologically more advanced than us, but maybe not THAT much. Building in a suit is much harder than without a suit... Might not be possible with all the tech they need.

Bytor65

[37]May 31, 2011

miketh2005 wrote:

A Portal Array ship? We know they are technologically more advanced than us, but maybe not THAT much. Building in a suit is much harder than without a suit... Might not be possible with all the tech they need.

They are massively more advanced than us. They have interstellar travel. They have faster than light communications. They have faster than light planet teleportation technology. All considered not merely unfeasible by us, but impossible. Creating an Array ship is trivia compared to any of that. In fact I consider it easier for the home planet to create an array ship than a few crash survivors to create one on tech backwater Earth. The central premise is massively flawed. Good riddance to bad nonsense.

ngc244

[38]Jun 1, 2011

Bytor65 wrote:

The central premise is massively flawed.

I disagree, the central premise that there are a group of aliens on Earth who are basically the same species as Earthlings is a sound one with tremendous promise. The writing that built on that premise and produced the episodes we watched week after week was beneath contempt. The Event is a good premise ruined. I think the story could have been made far more compelling if it were a story of initial distrust and then cooperation rather than a 3rd rate remake of War of the Worlds. Even if that had not been done all the technical flaws that you point out could have been worked into believable SF content with a bit more effort, another indication of how poor the writing on this show is. I don't know why the aliens would have stayed so long on a planet orbiting a star that was destined to go supernova and soon for example but I would not put it past a good writer to devise one. These writers are so clueless that they evidently don't even see the need to give the aliens that motivation.

The writing is so bad that we had to wait through the entire season to find out what the event is and even then we only have a few clues. We still don't have anywhere near enough information about the nature of the transformation to make any sense at all out of Sophia's motivation or her complete failure to make any attempt to work out a solution for both races. I understand that writers will often want to parcel out clues in a miserly fashion because they want to sustain interest in the final "reveal" over several seasons. JK Rowling certainly did that in the Harry Potter book series. But they do have to give the viewer/reader enough meat to chew on to keep them interested in viewing the next season or in the present case even the next episode. These writers utterly failed to do that, their timing on the minor reveals was abysmal and the content of those reveals was far to miserly too be effective in sustaining interest. Rowling was/is a master tease as a writer and she made sure that every book in the series stood on its own as a good read. These writers failed to convince me that I would find the grand final reveal even slightly interesting or believable even if I did find the tenacity to wait it out.

There is nothing wrong with the premise of The Event, in the hands of a good writing team it could have been a masterpiece of the TV art. It was poor writing that turned the premise into a pile of dung and not a very good pile of dung at that!

Ken