The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Cut Off the Head (possible spiolers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 16, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/18/11 episode "Cut Off the Head" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    Well this one got off to a pretty mediocre start, then took a nose dive into wanton obscurity. So let me get this straight; Dempsey all this time was following a tapestry that was able to somehow predict the future. He then kills himself as means to somehow convince Sean Walker he isn't the real enemy and he does this based on the fact that because of Walker's endeavors; he has the ability to overcome any obstacle thus making him the last best hope for Mankind.............. As if the plot couldn't pander to the 'Amazing' Sean Walker anymore it, then heaps this contrived load destroying any suspension of disblief making what should've been an irrelevant character by now EVEN more RELEVANT. Yet this was only the beginning to the madness as the Vice President somehow awed by their overwhelming power (while impressive hadn't shown anything on a level that warranted the belief that humanity's defeat was inevitable) now turns traitor and switches sides; And now they would apparently have us believe that Christina is now one of them and she manipulated Martinez(and the country) into presidency. Even Elias scoffed at the ridiculousness at the idea yet they still seemingly went with it..

ott666

[3]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 8

I just want it to end.

kanniballl

[4]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 18

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Well this one got off to a pretty mediocre start, then took a nose dive into wanton obscurity. So let me get this straight; Dempsey all this time was following a tapestry that was able to somehow predict the future. He then kills himself as means to somehow convince Sean Walker he isn't the real enemy and he does this based on the fact that because of Walker's endeavors; he has the ability to overcome any obstacle thus making him the last best hope for Mankind.............. As if the plot couldn't pander to the 'Amazing' Sean Walker anymore it, then heaps this contrived load destroying any suspension of disblief making what should've been an irrelevant character by now EVEN more RELEVANT. Yet this was only the beginning to the madness as the Vice President somehow awed by their overwhelming power (while impressive hadn't shown anything on a level that warranted the belief that humanity's defeat was inevitable) now turns traitor and switches sides; And now they would apparently have us believe that Christina is now one of them and she manipulated Martinez(and the country) into presidency. Even Elias scoffed at the ridiculousness at the idea yet they still seemingly went with it..

Eh, I was OK with it.

You have a guy who is old... really old... perhaps centuries. They've "somehow" learned how to predict the broad-strokes of the future.

He learns that Sean is humanity's only hope (not certain hope, but only). That it's going to take a third-party to win this, and that the Sean looks to be the third-party in question.

But he also knows that Sean won't stop his current mission until he kills the old guy.

So the old guy kills himself, thus proving how important things are and letting him "move on" from this current mission and to stop Sophia.

And, going back to the broad strokes, probably predicted that his death had a very high probability of moving Sean on.

Now, there is a lot to take on faith. For starters the "how" of the "old guy" is still mysterious. We have a vague idea on how he stays young, but the whole predicting the future thing was just dropped on our lap (unless the revisit the "how" later).

We also have to assume that the old guy is truly dead. Considering what we've seen of him, regenerating from a head wound isn't completely out of the question.

Lastly, the cute bad-girl was right... shooting him self in the head doesn't mean he's right... just that he's crazy. That is the very real world explanation.

kanniballl

[5]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 18

The question is... who or what is the First Lady?

From the expression on her face, it's likely she's still hiding something.

My theories:

- She's one of Sophia's group

- She's one of the Sentinels

- She's something else, like a Russian sleeper agent

Interesting note is how quickly the president went from peaceful to aggressive, and how MUCH aggression he's showing.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was messing with him, like doing something in his sleep or slipping him some medication. In which case, the wife would be a likely suspect.

Which leads me to believe that the wife is not of Sophia's people, but something else. Perhaps she was doing something to push her husband over the edge.

The Sentinels make sense, they can see the broad strokes of the future. Maybe they saw there was a high chance he became president with the right nudge.

Edited on 04/19/2011 1:10pm

tryptz

[6]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 13

The Sean and Leila parts are nothing butasinine.
    If those 2 are humanities last hope...I say goodluck to the Aliens.

antdude

[7]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 27
    Meh for this episode. Slow. However, next week's episode looks good!
    Edited on 04/19/2011 11:46pm

Just_Jos

[8]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 11

This episode had a A LOT of twists and turns. I must say, I'm pretty miffed that Dempsey was killed of just like that. He was the most intriguing character on this show. And Martinez is pretty dumb buying his wife's lie, LOL. All in all, it was an OK episode, I just hope that the entire story will be wrapped up by the finale, no cliffhangers, PLEASE. On to the next 5 episodes.

haldrey

[9]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 22
    Strange episode. Good at some points and out of all reality at some points but yes, full of twists. I still hate it when they make the Presidency of the US so vulnerable.

KingofIPirates

[10]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 32
    kanniballl wrote:
    So the old guy kills himself, thus proving how important things are and letting him "move on" from this current mission and to stop Sophia.
    Yet as we find out, Sean would've done that regardless if Dempsey killed himself as Leila called several moments later and as we all know according to Sean: Leila trumps the rest of the planet. Perhaps someone should have told Dempsey he could have chatted with Sean a little longer and actually explained the situation instead of blowing his brains out.
    kanniballl wrote:

And, going back to the broad strokes, probably predicted that his death had a very high probability of moving Sean on.
    And those broad strokes never mentioned Sean by name so I find it hard to believe that the tapestry predicted specifically his death would allow someone named Sean would to move on.
    kanniballl wrote:
    Now, there is a lot to take on faith. For starters the "how" of the "old guy" is still mysterious. We have a vague idea on how he stays young, but the whole predicting the future thing was just dropped on our lap (unless the revisit the "how" later).
    This article sums this entire situation up best.
    "But then there's the scene where evil, old-man Dempsey pulls out a gun and, in an apparent good-will gesture to Sean, puts a bullet in his own brain. Ilaughed. A lot. The sort of uncomfortable, out-of-control laughter that will make a nearby spouse question your sanity. I'm desperate to know what the writers' preliminary work on this character looked like. Like, did they really envision going from him controlling the vice president, to him kidnapping and mutating a bunch of little girls, to him morphing into a younger version of himself and then waxing philosophical about guardian angels in some French cave before setting his house on fire and then casually capping himself?
    This may be the most randomly conceived character I have ever spent time with. With his final stroke of absurdity, I think "The Event" may have inadvertently hit on the sort of dark comedy genius usually reserved for, like, Godard films and Vonnegut novels. I laughed at Dempsey's death in the same why I laughed at the Martian invasion in "The Sirens of Titan," or at the scene where the random arcade hooligan stabs himself in "Masculin Feminin." Granted, by doing this Dempsey also added himself to the growing list of characters who have existed for no purpose beyond helping Sean get to the next stage of his journey. Also included on this list: Leila, who escapes her captors just long enough to call Sean and give him the name of another person and another location that he can now head off in search of."

danharr

[11]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 45

Yeah this one was slow and dumb I'll finish the first season since I'm this far in but if by some miracle this thing gets renewed I won't be back.