The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: One Will Live, One Will Die (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 8, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/9/11 episode "One Will Live, One Will Die" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]May 9, 2011
    • level: 32
    Decent episode with a passable plotline. Was somewhat impressed with the twists as what appeared to be doltish writing initially turned out to be fairly clever in the end.

pedersendm

[3]May 10, 2011
    • level: 1

Semi-good episode.. However easily predictable. It's not like anyone, at any point believed that Martinez would die, same thing goes for Simon and Director Sterling.

Was a nice twist with Leila in the end, but also rather obvious that Sean (The computer-geek who suddenly masters firearms and close combat), would disarm the device seconds before it detonated.

Once again, the outcome of the entire series is easy to predict. Only question is how it will get there.

kanniballl

[4]May 10, 2011
    • level: 18

pedersendm wrote:

Was a nice twist with Leila in the end, but also rather obvious that Sean (The computer-geek who suddenly masters firearms and close combat), would disarm the device seconds before it detonated.

Hey, at least it didn't end at 1-second like the old cliche. I loved that scene on "Galaxy Quest" when they hang a lantern on that bit.

But yeh, a computer geek without any training has become the next action-hero-archetype.

Mastering firearms isn't that hard, I don't think he's done any sharp-shooting (I haven't watch the WHOLE show) so learning how to use a pistol is really easy. But being able to take out mercenaries and personal security, while on the run from various covert and government groups, etc is a big step.

gatoraderising

[5]May 10, 2011
    • level: 7
    It was a ok ep. This show is kinda easily predictable I thought this was going to be like Lost. On Lost you never knew what the hell was going on.

It's not Sean is taking people out 50 yds away from him when he shooting or going all Bruce Lee on people so in a way i don't have a major problem with him taking some people out here and there.

MrBovineOrdure

[6]May 10, 2011
    • level: 6

Ya know....

Counting on the virus to mutate by injecting Leila was pretty bad science and very irresponsible. One thing about evolution and viruses is that they tend to mutate into something that's infectious to those presently immune.

From the scenes of next week, that's not going to happen but this was a pretty stupid move on the aliens part. (Then again, this whole plan isn't really all that bright...)

Mr BO.

ngc244

[7]May 10, 2011
    If we could pretend that the rest of the show was believable and ignore two major gaffs in this episode then it might have been a passable effort. It was nice to see one bad guy get his comeuppance at long last. The look on Jarvis' face at the end made it worth watching the episode.

The virus is yet another major gaff. Yes, the results are unpredictable and likely to be unfavorable to the aliens but they are also going to take far too long to produce anything to be of use to Sophia. But this is TV and the virus will work as the bad guys need and on their schedule besides. But wait there's more: apparently Sean and Vicky are off next to search for the viral "antidote"!! Even by TV standards it is a little too early to recycle that plot device. The Event has its own standards though. They are low, as the Divine Miss M would say, but it has them.

Then there is the whole supernova thing. A supernova going off 2 light weeks from your planet is not going to kill you off slowly by radiation poisoning and give you "less than a year" to escape. These things can kill your world from a distance of 8 light years. At 2 light weeks distance it will kill you essentially instantly, as soon as the "gamma rays" reach your planet in an electromagnetic firestorm of unimaginable fury. Phone home all you want, Sophia, they don't live there any more.

But of course this is TV so they live on anyway....

Ken

kanniballl

[8]May 11, 2011
    • level: 18

ngc244 wrote:
    A supernova going off 2 light weeks from your planet is not going to kill you off slowly by radiation poisoning and give you "less than a year" to escape.

I'll be honest, I've just about stopped watching the show. I only catch bits and pieces fast-forwarding my DVR

Anyway, I thought they said their sun was 2 weeks from going Supernova... as opposed to a star 2 light-weeks away just went supernova.

It's possible the writers mis-spoke or condensed what the plot really is, and that it could have been "Our star is reaching a supernova phase earlier than expected, it looks like within 2 weeks things changes will occur that will make our planet uninhabitable beyond the level of our tech"

Or, they have some tech in place to hold off the initial issues that tend to occur prior to the big explosion (which they have no way to stop).

I'm no longer giving the show slack on stuff, a lot of their logic and science has gone out the window (even contemporary stuff).

Edited on 05/11/2011 7:41am
    Edited 3 total times.

ngc244

[9]May 12, 2011

kanniballl wrote:

ngc244 wrote:
    A supernova going off 2 light weeks from your planet is not going to kill you off slowly by radiation poisoning and give you "less than a year" to escape.

I'll be honest, I've just about stopped watching the show. I only catch bits and pieces fast-forwarding my DVR

Anyway, I thought they said their sun was 2 weeks from going Supernova... as opposed to a star 2 light-weeks away just went supernova.

Thomas said, as nearly verbatim as I can make it from memory, "Our sun has started to go supernova. The first wave of gamma rays will reach our world (my words, I think he actually said our solar system which is inconsistent with the notion that it is "our sun" that has gone supernova) in two weeks and our world will become uninhabitable within a year."

If it truly is "our sun" that has gone supernova then "our sun" is a much more massive and brighter star than Sol, the Earth's sun, so an orbital distance of 2 light weeks for a habitable planet could be about right for such a star (I haven't done the analysis and wouldn't know how, actually) but at that distance from a SN your world is toast when the EM wavefront hits it, there is no "within a year" grace period. The solution to the dilemma is quite easy: pick the time period (X weeks) you want the aliens to have until their world's destruction (but it has to be one drop dead date, not an initial impact leading to final destruction much later), make the SN a neighboring star less than the 8 light year SN kill radius distant, and say a recently launched detector probe which is X weeks out from your system has just detected the SN event in the neighboring star. And if you really must have a significant time period between the initial crisis and final destruction then make the distance to the SN around 8 light years. At that distance it is at least arguable and perhaps true that the process would take some extended period of time, at two light week's distance I do not believe that it is.

Of course you need to have a hyperwave radio in order to get the report from the probe to your system in time to do you any good but we know (even if the show's writers don't) that you have one because you can round trip communicate with Earth in considerably less than 22 million year's time!

Ken

Edited on 05/12/2011 7:59am

Just_Jos

[10]May 13, 2011
    • level: 11

So so episode. Pretty smart but evil with Sean and Vicky being fooled that the virus would be released in mall, when it was actually released in the evacuation bus.

CharlesTheBold

[11]May 13, 2011
    • level: 7

So Jarvis'people can't tell what Sterling said because "it was encrypted"? Then how could the First Lady hear him perfectly well? Is her phone equipped with some sort of special decryption device? If the first lady has one, why doesn't Jarvis? If he does have one, why not call his phone with the message and let his phone decrypt it?

I don't think the writers thought that through at all. They needed some way to keep Jarvis in the dark long enough to smuggle the antidote to the First Lady, and decided to solve it all with the magic word "encrypted".

Also, why did the saboteur set up the air-poisoning system with a timer? She's alien and immune, so she had no reason to delay the release of the poison. But of course the writers had to give Sean and Vicky time to defuse the thing, so the saboteur used a timer for no reason.

danharr

[12]May 26, 2011
    • level: 45

Not much going on imo pretty predictable no main characters were going to die we knew that and the assumption that Leia will spread the virus was lame.

KasenStuff

[13]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 5
    I can't believe no one else noticed this. I'm not a doctor or a nurse or know ANYTHING medically but it's a huge oversight. The damn scientist mentioned the bird flu turning into H1N1. It wasn't even a year ago we had an H1N1 outbreak and we were told time and again that it was the SWINE FLU. Swine is a pig, not a bird. Geez. This show was moderately entertaining but even that little thing bothered me enough. I no longer care it's being canceled.