The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Us or Them (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/2/11 episode "Us or Them" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]May 2, 2011
    • level: 32
    An okay episode by the Event standards, dialogue was still flat and much of the storyline felt mundane but all in all at least it wasn't boring. I feel Sophia's decision to resort to blackmail so quickly was a mistake and she could've come up with some viable reason (namely a vital member to their group was on that plane,etc,etc) to convince Jarvis to at least let it go.

antdude

[3]May 2, 2011
    • level: 27
    Soso episode.

ngc244

[4]May 3, 2011
    • level: 1

If I were to forget all that went on before or pretend that it all made sense somehow then I suppose that this was a decent enough episode. Or it would be if the show seemed destined to run another 2 or 3 years, under the circumstances it seemed to offer quite a bit less than one would hope in the way of reaching a satisfying conclusion with The End approaching fast. And it has some new issues too.

On the plus side Sophia realizes that her super weapon is too super to work as she intends. I doubt very much that I will believe her people can fix that in any reasonable time, if at all. I have no doubt that that will indeed happen next week though, the trailers pretty much give that away.

All of us but Sean know by now that Vicky is hopelessly in love with him. Even so, with the fate of literally everyone, Sean included, hanging in the balance and her extensive weapons training are we really supposed to believe that she would not take that shot? I can't. I could make that shot 3 or 4 times out of 10 leaving Sean unscratched, I expect someone like Vicky to make it 11 times out of 10.

Jarvis, ugh!!! It seems like he may have been on the verge of seeing the light, one scene too late but then that is pretty much par for the course for the native humans in this show. Even Sean and Vicky have joined that parade.

So, we have two different conversations with/among aliens about their final solution and no one ever bothers ask the most obvious question of all: why is it even necessary? Really? Do the writers feel no need whatsoever to explain this? That can only mean that they have no answer.

This episode just confirms my belief that with decent writing this show could have been something. I also got the sense that the rush to the end that was becoming increasingly evident in the last few episodes slowed down considerably last night. Just the natural pace of things or is it actually possible that they got renewal confirmation before this was filmed and put the brakes on so they have something left to shoot early next season?

Ken

Edited on 05/03/2011 11:46am

CharlesTheBold

[5]May 3, 2011
    • level: 7

So the lady at the airport desk tells them the flight is about to close, but they buy tickets anyway and walk on board. Have the writers never been at a modern airport? No mention of security searches and the time it would take. Or is it supposed to be different because they're in Russia? Plus that's the roomiest bathroom area I've ever seen on a plane.

Then there's the passenger list the spy steals to look for the agent's name. Would the agent give his/her real name when trying to smuggle something? If so, that's one dumb spy.

Just_Jos

[6]May 4, 2011
    • level: 11

The episode was OK, But the writing has definitely gotten A LOT more shoddy. Still hope the show ends on decent note.

haldrey

[7]May 6, 2011
    • level: 22
    Lots of mistakes but overall an interesting OK episode.

danharr

[8]May 10, 2011
    • level: 45

Wow seriously positive feed back the killer spy chick/Sean relationship alone was enough to sink the episode for me and the boarding a flight that's about to leave and the black mail as you guys mentioned. That was a chore I'll need a few days before attempting the latest episode.