The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

They're NOT Aliens.

  • Avatar of cerberuspuppy

    cerberuspuppy

    [1]Oct 1, 2010
    • member since: 09/05/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 51

    I just wanted to point this out in its own thread in the hopes that people will see it.


    Sophia's people are not aliens, at least not truly. They may be from the future, a human colony on another planet, or an alternate universe. They may be human/alien hybrids of some sort. They may be different enough to technically be a separate species, but they are not extraterrestrials who evolved completely on their own on a planet discretely separate from our own.


    Why not? Because, their DNA is only different by one percent. Yes, that is in fact quite significant genetically speaking, but that's far too close for coincidence. If they had evolved on another planet, without all of the key environmental factors being exactly the same (gravity, atmospheric composition, predators, food, etc) then they would have evolved differently to adapt to that different environment, and that's if they were seeded from a common prehistoric ancestor. (with of course more time on the alien world and/or less technology meaning a greater difference in evolution) If each planet started from scratch, then we might not even be talking about the same building blocks (proteins, amino acids, etc) being employed, at least not in the same ways.


    In other words, a frog would be more closely related to a human than an alien would be. Any significant degree of genetic similarity or compatibility would be a coincidence of impossible likelihood. Sorry Superman.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Betaman2010

    Betaman2010

    [2]Oct 3, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    I think the same way. All they called them was non-terrestrial, and the craft was of unknown origin. I think the event has not happened yet. They are from the future! Way in the future tranported in the past. Tech that can form worm holes or what ever that was. So we know one of them is in the GOV. There's one thing the agent, and the leader said that leads me to think that the The Event is some type of time experiment gone bad. She said has a specific person told everything? One said, we are still here. So it told me that if they leaked out the info the time line would be comprimised. They are scientist there to fix what has happened, or escapees?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of allways_ty

    allways_ty

    [3]Oct 4, 2010
    • member since: 09/21/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 88

    So this will be kinda like The 4400, kinda without the powers....maybe?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Saiyans91

    Saiyans91

    [4]Oct 5, 2010
    • member since: 03/30/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 194

    allways_ty wrote:


    So this will be kinda like The 4400, kinda without the powers....maybe?



    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It definitely looks that way. However I loved the 4400 so I am not complaining

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of smoke-monster

    smoke-monster

    [5]Oct 5, 2010
    • member since: 02/16/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 29

    I once read a cheesy scifi story that goes like this: The reason why all those planes and ships are disappearing in the Bermuda Triangle is because the crews are getting abducted by people from the future. They're doing that because they need "fresh blood" from the time before a catastrophic event, that was caused by biological weapons. My guess is that Sophia's people have come back from the future to prevent something bad, possibly the event. My hope at this point is that the whole thing has to do with them hardly aging at all. I always thought it'll make good scifi to explore what would happen to a society that manages to overcome aging, and possibly death. (I'd be happy for any book or movie recommendations in that area btw) - Personally I think that would be devastating, and I'm not sure if it's too far away, given the progress in stem cell research and gene therapy.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pgsuperfan

    pgsuperfan

    [6]Oct 19, 2010
    • member since: 02/04/06
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 4,361

    I think they are aliens

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sugar2U

    Sugar2U

    [7]Oct 23, 2010
    • member since: 12/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 365

    Ya I keep thinking Future beings.. but does not explain why they are not ageing.. HOWEVER maybe our 'world' moves more slowly then the one they come from therefore a person would not age as fast. 60years goes by on our reality but to them only 6 hours (using easy numbers) I have seen that before also. I do believe the EVENT is in the future..

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of plbj1

    plbj1

    [8]Oct 23, 2010
    • member since: 05/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 3

    I think they are from the future too. I think in the future, humans have advanced scientifically enough that they can manipulate the human genome. They manipulated the gene that causes us to age quickly. They changed so much that they are 1% different than their past human selves. So essentially they have evolved into another species beyond Homo Sapien. Just like how we are genetically different than Neanderthal man even though we come from the samelinage.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NKwulf

    NKwulf

    [9]Oct 23, 2010
    • member since: 08/31/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 130
    i disagree with them being from the future. In the last eps, Thomas teaches them about (something) back in 1945....if they were from the future, this would create to much of a paradox of how the futureites had to teach the pastites..which mean would mean that the futureites couldnt know about it in the future unless then went to the past to teach it..if that makes any sense...

    They are either Aliens or from a parallel universe.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackmage8472

    blackmage8472

    [10]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 07/29/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,002

    Personally, I just don't want them to be aliens. If they're aliens then you need a damn good explanation as why their DNA is so similar to humans. It's too Original Star Trek... let's paint one half of their face black and the other half white, ta-da alien species!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lil-Ms

    Lil-Ms

    [11]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 10/16/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 157
    smoke-monster wrote:

    My guess is that Sophia's people have come back from the future to prevent something bad, possibly the event. M



    If that is the case, I'd assume they went back in time to right before the "bad thing" happened, which means that what they tried to prevent happened in the 40's because that's when they got here. So whatever they were trying to prevent, has either already happened or not happened, depending on if they managed to stop it or not.

    I can't see how it would have something to do with the event we're hearing about. Why would they crash here in the 40's to try and prevent something from happening in 2010?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [12]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    It's starting to look more and more like they're actually aliens, Simon just confirmed that where he comes from there is no water and then there's that reporter.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Markizzle

    Markizzle

    [13]Oct 26, 2010
    • member since: 09/11/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 22

    I also think that they are from a far far future. DNA that mutates after so many generations; Evolution. But there's a few things that currently doesn't make sense to me.


    If they in fact are from the future then there are possible scientific theories regarding time traveling.


    In modern theory if you go back in time, it won't be the same timeline as yours, it would still have the same world but with alterations to it. If you go back in time, your mother of that time, may look like your mother but isn't. This means that the event could never actually have happened. This goes the same for alternate universes. The event may never have happened.



    Then there is the butterfly effect. If they came from the future to stop an event, they possibly change the future already by just going back, and them going back may even be the cause of the event, nevertheless, what the writers are choosing, they need to be careful imho. If the writers are heading in this direction, then they have left out something quite important. By threatening the lives of the people on the air plane, they would change the future. If any of the detainees were descendants of the people on the air plane, their threatening may have altered the future in which the detainees were born.



    About Simon and his absence of water from where he came: Well, in the future it is already a big debate of how we will share water. Many nations today don't have the pleasure of free and clean water. Maybe the writers are planning to show us this world Simon came from. I think it will be a dark future with high technology where water comes at a high, high price.

    Edited on 11/08/2010 8:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackmage8472

    blackmage8472

    [14]Oct 26, 2010
    • member since: 07/29/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,002

    KingofIPirates wrote:
    It's starting to look more and more like they're actually aliens, Simon just confirmed that where he comes from there is no water and then there's that reporter.


    Doesn't really mean anything. "The Event" could be a future catastrophe that destroys the water on Earth. Also, let's face it, despite being correct that something's going on, the reporter is a few cards short of a full deck... ok more like a few decks short of a card.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [15]Oct 26, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    blackmage8472 wrote:

    Doesn't really mean anything. "The Event" could be a future catastrophe that destroys the water on Earth.

    If there is no water it means they can survive without water making it all the more likely that they're aliens as every mammal on this planet requires water.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RizNYC

    RizNYC

    [16]Oct 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/13/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 929
    Markizzle wrote:

    I also think that they are from a far far future. DNA that mutates after so many generations; Evolution. But there's a few things that currently don't make sense to me.


    If they in fact are from the future then there are possible scientific theories regarding time traveling.


    In modern theory if you go back in time, it won't be the same timeline as yours, it would still have the same world but with alterations to it. If you go back in time, your mother of that time, may look like your mother but isn't. This means that the event could never actually have happened. This goes the same for alternate universes. The event may never have happened.



    Then there is the butterfly effect. If they came from the future to stop an event, they possibly change the future already by just going back, and them going back may even be the cause of the event, nevertheless, what the writers are choosing, they need to be careful imho. If the writers are heading in this direction, then they have left out something quite important. By threatening the lives of the people on the air plane, they would change the future. If any of the detainees were descendants of the people on the air plane, their threatening may have altered the future in which the detainees were born.



    About Simon and his absence of water from where he came: Well, in the future it is already a big debate of how we will share water. Many nations today don't have the pleasure of free and clean water. Maybe the writers are planning to show us this world Simon came from. I think it will be a dark future with high technology where water comes at a high, high price.



    All this assumes they are from the near future. If they are from 3000 AD none of this applies.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RizNYC

    RizNYC

    [17]Oct 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/13/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 929
    blackmage8472 wrote:

    KingofIPirates wrote:
    It's starting to look more and more like they're actually aliens, Simon just confirmed that where he comes from there is no water and then there's that reporter.


    Doesn't really mean anything. "The Event" could be a future catastrophe that destroys the water on Earth. Also, let's face it, despite being correct that something's going on, the reporter is a few cards short of a full deck... ok more like a few decks short of a card.



    But if it the Event really is an Earth catastrophe, why can't they tell anyone about it? And if it destroyed all the water on the Earth, why would it matter to the V's to "make it back home"?? What would be the point of all that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kevnay777

    Kevnay777

    [18]Oct 27, 2010
    • member since: 05/05/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 310

    I also believe that they're aliens. That one reporter that Sean and Leila were interviewing said that they're some kind of alien (assuming that she isn't completely insane). It just doesn't really make much sense if they were from the future. As of now it doesn't seem like they are here to stop the event but possibly causing the event. Thomas has been very unstable the past 60 years, not obeying Sophia's orders and threatening people's lives. I have two theories of my own


    1.They're some kind of hybrid alien from a almost identical Earth-like planet thus their DNA is very similar to humans. They crash landed on Earth and all their technology was disabled so they are left kind of primitive. They settle in Alaska for a while until the U.S discovered them. Sophia's original plan was for a President to cooperate with her and help her introduce her people. However Thomas wants to do something different, possibly a planet takeover. So he took the time while he was free to restore the alien's technology which explains how they can transport things(plane) with some kind of space manipulation technology.


    2.They're some kind of immortal human beings who has a 1% DNA difference because of their immortality. They've always been on the Earth until the U.S rounded them up. They're also a lot more smarter than normal humans, so when Thomas was free he developed some kind of technology to manipulate space.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackmage8472

    blackmage8472

    [19]Oct 27, 2010
    • member since: 07/29/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,002

    KingofIPirates wrote:
    If there is no water it means they can survive without water making it all the more likely that they're aliens as every mammal on this planet requires water.


    RizNYC wrote:
    But if it the Event really is an Earth catastrophe, why can't they tell anyone about it? And if it destroyed all the water on the Earth, why would it matter to the V's to "make it back home"?? What would be the point of all that?


    It's science fiction... since when do the rules have to make complete sense.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [20]Oct 27, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    Even in fiction there are certain rules that are established within the storyline that reflect what goes on in the real world. Based on what we've seen so far, outside of these 'visitors' and their superior technology the world behaves more or less like what would occur in the real world. Hence we don't see a human being like Sean Walker flying to escape his pursuers or conjuring up fire to burn anyone who gets in his way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.