The Event Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

They're NOT Aliens.

ATLReppa770

[21]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 3
    blackmage8472 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    If there is no water it means they can survive without water making it all the more likely that they're aliens as every mammal on this planet requires water.

RizNYC wrote:
    But if it the Event really is an Earth catastrophe, why can't they tell anyone about it? And if it destroyed all the water on the Earth, why would it matter to the V's to "make it back home"?? What would be the point of all that?

It's science fiction... since when do the rules have to make complete sense.

Someone prefers lazy writers over good ones...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Markizzle

[22]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 2

RizNYC wrote:
    All this assumes they are from the near future. If they are from 3000 AD none of this applies.

That makes absolutely no sense. Even if they are from 3000 AD, their actions have consequences. If they are from the future and don't have consequences towards their actions, such as the butterfly effect, then they would possibly end in a world where "The Event" never happened, even if it was a 1000 years ago.

The show is becoming more and more doll. Too much dragging out story-line and just avoiding coming to the truth. Seems like the show is trying to become abit too much like LOST with their flash backs.

Edited on 11/08/2010 8:35pm
    Edited 3 total times.

blackmage8472

[23]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 15

Ok... when they said "Portal" and compared it to the one that saved the President I'll admit I've changed my mind. I think they're aliens. Why they have similar DNA... there better be a damn good explanation.

smoke-monster

[24]Nov 9, 2010

blackmage8472 wrote:

Ok... when they said "Portal" and compared it to the one that saved the President I'll admit I've changed my mind. I think they're aliens. Why they have similar DNA... there better be a damn good explanation.

Agreed. Unless they get all stargate on me, aliens having almost the same DNA as humans makes no sense. I'm still saying they're time travellers though. The "portal" could also refer to a wormhole into the future. Didn't Thomas mention at one point "They're all dead anyway"? Sounded like he had some knowledge about what's to come.

blackmage8472

[25]Nov 9, 2010

smoke-monster wrote:

blackmage8472 wrote:

Agreed. Unless they get all stargate on me, aliens having almost the same DNA as humans makes no sense. I'm still saying they're time travellers though. The "portal" could also refer to a wormhole into the future. Didn't Thomas mention at one point "They're all dead anyway"? Sounded like he had some knowledge about what's to come.

Possible, but if this turns out to be recycled ideas I'll be pissed.

galls4601

[26]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 4

Of course they are aliens!!! they are definately not humans.... the fact they don't age and that simon had to have an IMPLANTED BLOOD VESSEL!!

galls4601

[27]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 4
    as for the DNA, if they have the ability to transport planes through time/space, do you not think they would be able to appear in a different form than their natural one? they came to earth for something so they obviously had to fit in... not convinced they were planning to be there as long as this tho... sophia & co were locked up and thomas wouldn't leave without her. everyone else seems to have integrated into society!?he had to go find simon - what about the others that went with him from the crash?

smoke-monster

[28]Nov 10, 2010

In an earlier post, I said that I hoped for the not aging being a central theme. After the last scene with the little girls, I believe it's going in that direction. Maybe the people who kidnapped the girls, use them for experiments. They might try to alter the genes that are involved in causing progeria, which in rare cases causes children to age rapidly. Of course, their goal is to beat the aging progress, because whoever has a cure for death will be rich beyond imagination. Their experiments go wrong, rapid aging spreads like a virus and most people die. But it works on a small minority - they not only survive the virus but don't age anymore. That's the visitors from the future, trying to interfere in present events that lead up to the disater. Sound good?

Edited on 11/10/2010 1:15pm

Lil-Ms

[29]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 12
    Maybe they're from very very far in the future, where humans have evolved and moved out into the universe to other planets and maybe mixed with aliens. So they're both kind of aliens and time travelers.

blackmage8472

[30]Nov 11, 2010

Lil-Ms wrote:
    Maybe they're from very very far in the future, where humans have evolved and moved out into the universe to other planets and maybe mixed with aliens. So they're both kind of aliens and time travelers.

Ok, that's about 75% of the background from Stargate.

Bicketybam

[31]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 5

My only problem with them being from a distant future is that they show no signs of caring about affecting things in this time. If they were from a distant future they would be absolutely concerned about everything and anything they did as the further away from their time the smallest thing could have huge ramifications on future events.

They don't care what happens in this time. Are they humans or are they aliens? Why are they so similar? Who knows, but isn't that the idea, to wait until they have gone through the story process? Telling a good story is one thing, making it up as they go a long because the viewers already guessed what was happening (like LOST) would suck.

In the beginning of the show, they had a lot of flashbacks to help move the story along. Basically they are saying "This is what is happening now, but so that you guys have an idea of how we got to here, this is what happened then". They seem to only have a few flashbacks now as the audience has got a better picture of what has or is happening now and they only show a few flashbacks to show how or why someone has done what they did.

I must say that I currently like it and only hopefully the show is given a chance.

lostcause78

[32]Nov 25, 2010
    • level: 9

blackmage8472 wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    If there is no water it means they can survive without water making it all the more likely that they're aliens as every mammal on this planet requires water.

RizNYC wrote:
    But if it the Event really is an Earth catastrophe, why can't they tell anyone about it? And if it destroyed all the water on the Earth, why would it matter to the V's to "make it back home"?? What would be the point of all that?

It's science fiction... since when do the rules have to make complete sense.

Well that same logic applies to the DNA argument Besides considering how advanced DNA related tech is on Earth already even with the moral limitations that has been put on it, it's "easy" to explain how Aliens capable of making portals and interstellar travel in the first place, are able to manipulate DNA so they are suitable to blend in with the envirorment here.

Edited on 11/25/2010 6:34am

JayFight

[33]Nov 26, 2010

okay this is for those who think that they can't be from the future due to the fact that they have changed the past and therefore would have created a paradox or changed the future through a butterfly effect

there are some other reasonable ways that they could be from the future like for example they could have monitored the past looking for a window of opportunity in which they can safely integrate themselves without altering the time line too much and stop or cause an event to save their time

or they could have been traveling through time/space and had a malfunction and crashed here by accident and are trying to get back home, most likely if it's through time they were trying to get something from the past to save the future and our time was somewhere in between, if it's space they were traveling through then the resulting time travel could be an expected side effect of their space drives (theories of traveling near or even over the speed of light point to this possibility) and the accident caused them to crash before they got to their own time even though they got to the right planet

also it could be based on the everything you do in the past was meant to happen theory, meaning if you go back in time and try to kill Hitler you will fail because what you didn't know was that in your history you had already went back and tried only to fail, or another example would be if you traveled back to find out who really fired the famous "shot heard round the world" in the american revolution you would find out that it was the sound of your time machine back firing or something and therefore it was because of you traveling back there that started it

personally i like the time travel thing better and they could have helped advanced tech along because they found that we didn't have the advanced tech we should have had and so they helped along to both try and get us to where we were supposed to be and at the same time get them the tech they needed to get home, the event could be something they need to prevent or need to ensure happens or even make happen to make the future a better place, and lastly the portal can still be a worm hole after all they are theorized to be able to transport things not just between two points in space but also time

Edited on 11/26/2010 1:22pm

kanniballl

[34]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 18

If you believe the teasers that have been airing...

Then they were here first, on Earth that is.

I don't think the teaser elaborated if that means: they were earlier/fist evolution of humans, aliens that settled here and left, etc.

My guess, early evolution of humans that avoided an extinction-level event. But now they're back and want what they lost.

Edited on 03/07/2011 12:52pm

roams

[35]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 6
    OR...

Maybe wherever they come from they are completly alien but have the ability to alter their physical form to blend in with the local population of the places they visit...

palle007

[36]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 5
    They are from the past. A time where there was life on Mars.

MrBovineOrdure

[37]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 6

Well, from events at the end of "The message back" it looks certain that they are from another planet in our present time whose residents are about to suffer the effects of a super-nova from a near-by star. (Though there's no explanation of how they were able to receive a response to a message they sent only days ago.)

So they are aliens at least in the sense that foreign nationals are aliens. I suppose they could be aliens in the ET sense since they *ARE* from another planet, but their compatible DNA will still need some explaining.

Mr BO

jameshope25

[38]Apr 2, 2011
    • level: 1
    I am agree with cerberuspuppy, they are not aliens, they came from the future.

AveryYates

[39]Apr 3, 2011

*Cough* Cheap *Cough* No sfx budget *cough*

The story isn't half bad , and it's one of the shows I stay at home to watch . But in allhonesty, I prefer actual aliens , when it comes to these kinds of shows , using humans , and giving somehalf-bakedexplanationmakes it feel so cheap.

kiryna

[40]Apr 7, 2011
    • level: 10
    After watching the last episode, they must be aliens from another planet without a doubt. Sophia said they all made an oath to not harm "benevolent civilizations" of the planets they visit, and if they actually would've came from the future they wouldn't be surprised about how the human civilization from their own past behave. I'm far more intrigued about those so-called "Centinels" -intrigued and suspicious. If Sophia's people was so peaceful and well-intended, why do humans need Centinels to watch over them from the beginning of time? So maybe this is not the first time Sophia's people has been on Earth. My guess is Sophia's people and humans are part of the same species, maybe settlements of an older and bigger civilization, that just grew up in separated planets. This would explain the ADN similitudes. Sophia's people could be and older colony, therefore with a longer development and better technology, but an older planet too. They knew about the other colonized planets and started visiting one by one in order to find one suitable for their migration needs without harming any native civilization. Then crashed on Earth and now they have run out of time and must turn migration into invasion.