The Event

The Beginning of the End

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 16, 2011 on NBC

• Careless research versus good casting and action

This show has descended beyond ridicule for me. The Spanish Flu did not kill 20% of the population, best estimates are between 3-6%. I don't recall any modification to the virus yet somehow it will now kill 98% of all humans? And the super-advanced aliens carry around the lungs of a dead victim to spread the disease? Hahaha. Not to mention this flu can now be treated and vaccinated against and is mostly fatal to young adults, not the young or elderly. Stupid! At least glance at wikipedia before writing such drivel. They deserve to be cancelled for this alone.

Criticism of this aside, the cast is terrific and it has ample action, though I'm tiring of seeing the amateur kid out-gunning and out-fighting professional killers. This had so much potential but the writing has become ludicrously bad.

Another egregious error that could have been avoided is that the alien sun is going supernova yet they have up to a year before it wipes them out. The only way to tell if a sun is going supernova is when it does, then it's a light-speed trip till the radiation destroys life on their home world. Not a year, try 30 minutes or less. Sci-fi should at least deal with a little of the known science I think.