The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

FOP and Running Jokes

Cuddlesnowy

[1]Jun 21, 2011
    • level: 10

I've noticed lots of mentions about FOP's weakness as of late being running jokes. However the show has always used running jokes from the start (yes, even in the Oh Yeah Shorts). The reason I think it is noticeable now as being annoying is because in classic FOP, the jokes were actually funny, and were always repeated when you least expected them, making them funnier each time (for example, Dad making dolphin noises in Deja Vu or Cosmo saying "Stupid ketchup!" in Chin Up). In new FOP, the jokes are unfunny in the first place and then predictably repeated (for example Hank the security rhino (I think that was it) in Cheese and Crockers or the Graham cracker thing in Love Triangle).

So, what is your opinion on recurring/running jokes? Do you think the writers are as good as they used to be with writing them, or were they always annoying? What are your favourite running jokes and what are the most annoying the series has had?

Let the discussion begin

Edited on 06/21/2011 4:53pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fewmet

[2]Jun 21, 2011
    • level: 12

Cuddlesnowy wrote:

I've noticed lots of mentions about FOP's weakness as of late being running jokes. However the show has always used running jokes from the start (yes, even in the Oh Yeah Shorts). The reason I think it is noticeable now as being annoying is because in classic FOP, the jokes were actually funny, and were always repeated when you least expected them, making them funnier each time (for example, Dad making dolphin noises in Deja Vu or Cosmo saying "Stupid ketchup!" in Chin Up). In new FOP, the jokes are unfunny in the first place and then predictably repeated (for example Hank the security rhino (I think that was it) in Cheese and Crockers or the Graham cracker thing in Love Triangle).

So, what is your opinion on recurring/running jokes? Do you think the writers are as good as they used to be with writing them, or were they always annoying? What are your favourite running jokes and what are the most annoying the series has had?

Let the discussion begin

You're right, the running jokes weren't always annoying, mostly because in the show's earlier days they weren't punctuated with loud music and shrieking from the characters. AND they were written better.

The most annoying running gag is from, of course, "new-school" Cosmo. I can't remember the episode, but he kept saying "And that was my slogan!" Sooo stupid and unfunny.

I guess one I liked was in the ep Cosmo Con when Mr. Turner kept saying "Mine!"

luiz4200

[3]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 38
    fewmet wrote:

Cuddlesnowy wrote:

Let the discussion begin

You're right, the running jokes weren't always annoying, mostly because in the show's earlier days they weren't punctuated with loud music and shrieking from the characters. AND they were written better.

The most annoying running gag is from, of course, "new-school" Cosmo. I can't remember the episode, but he kept saying "And that was my slogan!" Sooo stupid and unfunny.

I guess one I liked was in the ep Cosmo Con when Mr. Turner kept saying "Mine!"

What about the funeral song whenever Vicky and/or Ricky appeared to babysit Timmy in "Odd Couple"?

Cuddlesnowy

[4]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 10

fewmet wrote:

"And that was my slogan!"

Wasn't that from 'Chip off the Old Chip" from Season 3 when Cosmo kept making stupid inventions and giving them random slogans. I thought the show was still good then and that's one of my favourite episodes. I think Cosmo's voice was starting to increase pitch though

imverybasic

[5]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 16
    Favorite running joke? It's hard to remember, but I always found the Internet gag to be hilarious. And the Dinkleberg joke never gets old...

As for my least favorite joke... This was back when the show was still good, but I always found this gag to be stale. And that would be the rabies joke. It's hardly funny at all.

FOP_fan17

[6]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 22
    Gee, a favorite one....it's been so long since I've liked one I can barely remember...but I'd have to say that I liked the "Stupid ketchup!" one as well as Timmy jinxing the times that he and Poof were going to fall off the construction site in "Mission Responsible." Also Timmy and the fairies consistently failing to break Anti-Cosmo out of jail in "The Gland Plan". Least favorite ones? Well, the egg nog jokes have never been funny, and *shudders* Cosmo constantly burying Wanda in the sand or hitting her with objects.

luiz4200

[7]Jul 3, 2011
    Two words: Mouthwash.

That's one word.

Then I'll say it twice. Mouthwash mouthwash.

FairyFan13

[8]Jul 3, 2011
    Ha.

Chester: We were doing something Timmy related? Oh boy cheese!

(Tootie carrying Vicky evidence it disapears)

Tootie:Was I doing something Timmy related?

FOP_fan17

[9]Jul 3, 2011
    I liked Cosmo's good ideas in the gaming episode, as well as the "Mine!" joke Fewmet mentioned.

luiz4200

[10]Jul 4, 2011
    FairyFan13 wrote:
    Ha.

Chester: We were doing something Timmy related? Oh boy cheese!

(Tootie carrying Vicky evidence it disapears)

Tootie:Was I doing something Timmy related?

Reminds me of how Timmy's Dad laughed at the nickname 'Deep Toot'. Even if his memory of that mess hadn't been erased, he'd never know she's Tootie.

money3003

[11]Jul 5, 2011
    • level: 6

I've been watching the old episodes and they really are hilarious. They had running jokes and gags but they DIDN'T USE IT TOO MUCH like they do in the newer episodes. And they weren't always predictable.

imverybasic

[12]Jul 5, 2011
    From "That Old Black Magic":

"When do we get to the ride?"

"This is the ride. Yippee!"

XD

FairyFan13

[13]Jul 5, 2011
    imverybasic wrote:
    From "That Old Black Magic":

"When do we get to the ride?"

"This is the ride. Yippee!"

XD
    That gag is the story of my life...my whole entire family uses that joke whenever we ride esclators or when we are waiting in line for rides

edmasterchaos

[14]Jul 5, 2011
    • level: 41

FairyFan13 wrote:
    imverybasic wrote:
    From "That Old Black Magic": "When do we get to the ride?" "This is the ride. Yippee!" XD
    That gag is the story of my life...my whole entire family uses that joke whenever we ride esclators or when we are waiting in line for rides
    Awww, that's a really cute family thing to do! x3

*cough* um, in manlier news, um... yeah in highschool we used to quote some of the running gags of some episodes, idk which was the more prominent for us to use.

TAllen32

[15]Jul 6, 2011
    • level: 5

The Redo Watches.

FOP_fan17

[16]Jul 6, 2011
    ^Those were classic too! LOVE FairyFan's quote! It's been so long since I've seen the old episodes, I can't remember a lot of running gags.

YellowRaven2715

[17]Jan 21, 2013
    Cuddlesnowy wrote:

Let the discussion begin

That is because Cheese and Crockers is now deaf!

alfa9delta

[18]Jan 21, 2013
    I guess my favorite was Dad trying to convince Timmy that he is a potential suspect and a bad guy in "Where's Wanda?".

And I also like the running gag from "No Substitute For Crazy", when Cosmo says that weird big words, but only because in my country voice-over, Cosmo's voice actor sings that weird words and it's really funny. I don't know how it sounds in English.

YellowRaven2715

[19]Jan 24, 2013
    alfa9delta wrote:
    I guess my favorite was Dad trying to convince Timmy that he is a potential suspect and a bad guy in "Where's Wanda?".

Yes. That was so funny!

skyshaymin4ever

[20]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 5

W: is it from anti-cosmo

T: lemme check... Dear moron's yes this diabolical escape plan is from me anti cosmo

w: that's actaully a good plan!

T: well he is the anti cosmo

C: what does that make me? (turns into donkey)

well i figured id post this quote since other people are doing it too

(the cosmo quote at the end is what made it funny)