The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

How Did Poof Affect the Series?

What effect do you think that Poof had on the Series?

  • Avatar of gideonbernstein

    gideonbernstein

    [1]Dec 2, 2011
    • member since: 03/23/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 1,284

    Do you think that bringing Poof into the series helped or hurt it? Please cast your vote and/or leave your comments about ithere. Thank you.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FOP_fan17

    FOP_fan17

    [2]Dec 2, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 5,081
    In my opinion, Poof has been a positive aspect of this show. "Fairly Odd Baby" was a good way to bring the series back, since ending with "Timmy the Barbarian" would have been a complete disgrace. Some of the best episodes have been a result of Poof's birth, "Mission: Responsible" being one of them. I NEVER would have thought any episode since Season 3 could compete with "Apartnership!," but that one does. He has also provided a strong family aspect to the show, improving the Wanda abuse and Cosmo's behavior. I'd also say that Poof's arrival is what caused the FOP movie, and Timmy's future, to end on a satisfying note, so his family gets the happy future they deserve. However, Poof's arrival wasn't good enough to return this show to its glory days. He was simply used as a tool to attract viewer interest, and the changes that occurred after that simply weren't appealing. Fans started leaving again not long after his birth, because for some odd reason, the writers were only able to make a handful of good episodes after that (how they did such a quick 180 is still mind boggling to me). Any improvements were found in trace amounts with wide leaps inbetween, since apparently Seasons 1-3 have little value anymore. But since these changes were so few and far between, viewer interest faded pretty fast. Also, so much focus was placed on the fairies and the same villains that all of the other lovable characters practically became nonexistent, which felt awkard and boring. So while Poof's arrival has been a positive aspect, it has been a small one, and there is still much work to be done. What they SHOULD have done was made one FANTASTIC season after FOB,complete with everything that was great about the first three seasons and an amazing finale.....and then cancelled it. The show could have been redeemed from its past, ended on a well-deserved note, and not risked further drawbacks. At least the Timmy and his family get to have good future together....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fewmet

    fewmet

    [3]Dec 2, 2011
    • member since: 08/20/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,886

    The only problem with Poof is the way he was born (Cosmo giving birth to him was one of the most idiotic ideas Hartman and co. ever had, and that's saying quite a lot). Poof, in fact, initially improved FOP. "Mission: Responsible" is easily one of the best episodes of the show. But Poof can only do so much; as long as Cosmo continues to be a major pain in the rear, the show will never recover its former glory.

    Edited on 12/02/2011 8:30pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LRifle

    LRifle

    [4]Dec 2, 2011
    • member since: 05/11/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 738

    I think FOPfan is right in that the loss of unique characters has really killed interest in this show.


    There are also many points in the serious where they could have made some progression in the plot, but chose not to, this is what many people complain about. Some times these "status quos" are necessary but in FOP's case every episodes acts like every other episode never happened (save for minor references and recurring characters and usually even they aren't consistent)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Misumasu

    Misumasu

    [5]Dec 3, 2011
    • member since: 05/02/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 47

    I started out in the 'I wish Poof never even existed' camp— he's very definition of a Cousin Oliver. Atthis point, though, I can take or leave him. He's kinda cute. Whatever.


    It's clear that even with him the writers won't quit rehashing the plots, so frankly, in the end, he amounts to nill. Just another merchandise-able face.

    Edited on 12/03/2011 8:36pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bewitchedfan2k

    bewitchedfan2k

    [6]Dec 11, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/08
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 667


    He's cute. Mission Responsible one of the best episodes of the entire show but his existence only made it brilliant for a brief while.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of skyshaymin4ever

    skyshaymin4ever

    [7]Apr 14, 2012
    • member since: 11/28/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 240

    i think he helped it i mean it's doing better then it used to

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alfa9delta

    alfa9delta

    [8]Jun 23, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 157

    Poof helped, even because he was the main reason why the show came back


    But anyway, the reason why the show went downhill is not Poof nor Foop, in my opinion, the reason is explicited in the image below:



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FOP_fan17

    FOP_fan17

    [9]Jun 24, 2012
    • member since: 02/12/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 5,081
    ^I sort of agree with you there. I think Hartman only sticks around because Nick keeps renewing the show for some reason. I honestly think he would have liked to move on a long time ago.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cozmorocks12

    cozmorocks12

    [10]Jun 25, 2012
    • member since: 02/01/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,214

    FOP_fan17 wrote:
    ^I sort of agree with you there. I think Hartman only sticks around because Nick keeps renewing the show for some reason. I honestly think he would have liked to move on a long time ago.


    I think Butch lost interest a long time before that. Probably in the early stages of Danny Phantom's creation IMHO.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stephdumas

    stephdumas

    [11]Jun 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/15/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,023

    Misumasu wrote:


    I started out in the 'I wish Poof never even existed' camp— he's very definition of a Cousin Oliver. Atthis point, though, I can take or leave him. He's kinda cute. Whatever.


    It's clear that even with him the writers won't quit rehashing the plots, so frankly, in the end, he amounts to nill. Just another merchandise-able face.



    For me, Poof is more closer to Baby Smurf then Cousin Oliver. Baby Smurf added some cuteness to the Smurfs until he was overshawdowed by the coming of the Smurflings and Sasette. Another cute episode to mention was "Bad Heir Day" when Crocker taked care of him and wanted to be his heir.


    On the other hand, Cosmo giving him birth, then Anti-Wanda giving birth to Foop....we could ponder what if was the other way around: Wanda giving birth to Poof and Anti-Cosmo giving birth to Foop?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of YellowRaven2715

    YellowRaven2715

    [12]Jan 21, 2013
    • member since: 11/26/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 196
    Poof ruined the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of skyshaymin4ever

    skyshaymin4ever

    [13]Feb 19, 2013
    • member since: 11/28/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 240

    YellowRaven2715 wrote:
    Poof ruined the series.


    poof didn't ruin ruin the series that was mr. crocker


    like i said series is doing alot better then it used to with poof's help

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of YellowRaven2715

    YellowRaven2715

    [14]Feb 24, 2013
    • member since: 11/26/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 196
    skyshaymin4ever wrote:

    YellowRaven2715 wrote:
    Poof ruined the series.


    poof didn't ruin ruin the series that was mr. crocker


    like i said series is doing alot better then it used to with poof's help



    Why did Mr. Crocker ruin the series?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FOP_fan17

    FOP_fan17

    [15]Feb 25, 2013
    • member since: 02/12/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 5,081
    ^While I don't think Crocker ruined the show, there are WAY too many episodes about him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of skyshaymin4ever

    skyshaymin4ever

    [16]Feb 26, 2013
    • member since: 11/28/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 240

    mr. crockers been used too much in the series

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of YellowRaven2715

    YellowRaven2715

    [17]Mar 9, 2013
    • member since: 11/26/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 196
    skyshaymin4ever wrote:

    mr. crockers been used too much in the series



    But he is being used in a funny way!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LordGrievous

    LordGrievous

    [18]Mar 9, 2013
    • member since: 06/24/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 2,491

    YellowRaven2715 wrote:
    skyshaymin4ever wrote:


    mr. crockers been used too much in the series


    But he is being used in a funny way!


    But it has gotten old and might be the reason why Vicky isn't seen much anymore.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PIGGYDOOM

    PIGGYDOOM

    [19]Mar 9, 2013
    • member since: 11/18/12
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 158

    LordGrievous wrote:


    YellowRaven2715 wrote:
    skyshaymin4ever wrote:


    mr. crockers been used too much in the series


    But he is being used in a funny way!


    But it has gotten old and might be the reason why Vicky isn't seen much anymore.


    I'm actually happy Vicky doesn't appear much on the show anymore, since she is so mean to poor Timmy Turner I do wish characters like Chester, AJ, Elmer, and other characters appeared on the show more though.


    And YellowRaven2715 when you said Mr. Crocker is being used in a funny way, didn't you say in season 9 you want to see him die?

    Edited on 03/09/2013 5:32pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LordGrievous

    LordGrievous

    [20]Mar 10, 2013
    • member since: 06/24/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 2,491

    PIGGYDOOM wrote:


    LordGrievous wrote:


    YellowRaven2715 wrote:
    skyshaymin4ever wrote:


    mr. crockers been used too much in the series


    But he is being used in a funny way!


    But it has gotten old and might be the reason why Vicky isn't seen much anymore.


    I'm actually happy Vicky doesn't appear much on the show anymore, since she is so mean to poor Timmy Turner I do wish characters like Chester, AJ, Elmer, and other characters appeared on the show more though.


    And YellowRaven2715 when you said Mr. Crocker is being used in a funny way, didn't you say in season 9 you want to see him die?



    Well she is the main antagonist and is the reason why Timmy has fairies in the first place.


    Besides it took her a whole year before Timmy was miserable enough to have fairygodparents while in "The Switch/Glitch" it Timmy less then a day to make five year old Vicky miserable enough for fairygodparents.


    So Timmy isn't so innocent himself.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.