The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

New ep and marathon this Sunday

LordGrievous

[21]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 13

PookaMustard wrote:
    Let's see if there will be a reaction to this low rating thingy from the officials. I wonder if they'll refine their cartoon, or go with the sandwiching strategy and use Spongebob.

They'll probably ignore the low ratings and keep producing more awful episodes like Cartoonnetwork does with Johnny Test.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cozmorocks12

[22]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 14

I didn't watch the ep yet, but I just happened to see on Wikipedia that the writers for these episodes are a pair I have never seen before. After some research it turns out that they are intern writers for a year stint working in Nick studios. When I was hoping for new writers, this definitely was not what I was expecting. Pretty bad thinking that a previous flagship show like FOP is having to turn to intern writers for these episodes. Really reflects how irrelevant the shows been for many years now. Guess that explains the presumably random episode descriptions that were released on iTunes. Like I would have never expected to see a smartphone-ep inspired ep on FOP. Oh well. Let's see what else these "new, hip" writers serve up.

fewmet

[23]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 12

Saw the new ep. Meh. Cosmo had a little more sense in the genie one - talked Mr. Turner out of doing a couple of stupid things. But he's still lost all his charm. As for the dog, he's totally unnecessary. A gimmick without a cause.

PookaMustard

[24]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 5
    Nobody cared to fix Cosmo's voice?

cozmorocks12

[25]Apr 25, 2013

Another new ep May 4th at 9:30AM.

http://family-room.ew.com/2013/04/25/fairly-oddparents-season-9-premiere/

The animator tells EW that while the show has certainly evolved since its 2001 premiere — fairy godfather Cosmo, for example, has become "really stupid" because "the dumber we made him, the more jokes we could write" — its core values have stayed intact, even though its original viewers aged out of Nickelodeon's audience long ago."We have all this research that people do at the network — what kids like, what kids don't like, and kids of today, are they different from kids of yesterday? To me, kids like to be entertained," he says. "I don't care what era they're from. The kind of writing that we do on our show applies to kids of any age, which is why I still get these 20-year-old kids coming up to me and saying, 'Mr. Hartman, I grew up on with your show.' And they still love watching it."

Simply, Hartman does not get it.

LordGrievous

[26]Apr 25, 2013
    • level: 13

cozmorocks12 wrote:

The animator tells EW that while the show has certainly evolved since its 2001 premiere — fairy godfather Cosmo, for example, has become "really stupid" because "the dumber we made him, the more jokes we could write" — its core values have stayed intact, even though its original viewers aged out of Nickelodeon's audience long ago."We have all this research that people do at the network — what kids like, what kids don't like, and kids of today, are they different from kids of yesterday? To me, kids like to be entertained," he says. "I don't care what era they're from. The kind of writing that we do on our show applies to kids of any age, which is why I still get these 20-year-old kids coming up to me and saying, 'Mr. Hartman, I grew up on with your show.' And they still love watching it."

Simply Hartman hears what he wants to hear.

cozmorocks12

[27]Apr 25, 2013

More information about one of the eps:

In the season nine premiere, "Turner & Pooch," Mr. Crocker realizes that Timmy's dog, Sparky, has magical powers. Eager to use the fairy dog's powers to fulfill his own wishes, Mr. Crocker hypnotizes Sparky in an attempt to turn him against Timmy.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/25/ninth-season-of-fairly-oddparents-to-premiere-saturday-may-4/179616/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

PookaMustard

[28]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 5
    :
    The animator tells EW that while the show has certainly evolved since its 2001 premiere - fairy godfather Cosmo, for example, has become "really stupid" because "the dumber we made him, the more jokes we could write" - its core values have stayed intact

Dang it, stop making Cosmo even more dumber, I'm hating him! By the way, about the core values thingy... who's the main villain of FOP?

As of recently I ask...?
    Edited on 04/26/2013 1:26am

FOP_fan17

[29]Apr 28, 2013
    • level: 22

cozmorocks12 wrote:

WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF CRAP.

You had to make Cosmo "really dumb" in order to write more jokes? Funny, I watch other TV shows that have been on for a long time and they didn't need to dumb down the cast for the sake of jokes. These shows are still genuinely funny and while the characters have developed,this has nothing to do with their IQs being cut in half. If you can no longer write for the characters with normal intelligence, that might be a clue to cancel the show.

"Core values have stayed intact?" I beg to differ. This show used to be about a troubled kid who needed fairy godparents to brighten his day. He loved them so much he went on adventures with them a lot and did things for them without being asked. The godparents loved each other and genuinely enjoyed their jobs. A show that keeps its core values doesn't shed all ofits characters' morals and turn them into bad polar opposites of their former selves. Ifanyone thinks "core values" now entail a stupid, insulting husband, an insulted, never-gets-to-have-fun wife, and a spoiled rotten, selfishchild, I feel truly sorry for them.

I don't believe fora minute that they're doing research. If they are, they're twisting the results to make them say what they want. If kids today liked FOP's current flavor, then why isn't the showgetting more viewers?Why are SB and TMNT, someof its competitors, doing so much better? Why are Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and MLP such a hit with kids? Because those showrunners actually KNOW what kids like and give it to them in their shows. Kids want humor, sure, but they also want loving, multi-dimensional characters, compelling plot lines, FUNNY jokes, and different experiences. Something that the above mentioned shows know how to pull off, but FOP doesn't and hasn't for a long time.

The previous audience didn't leave just because they got too old for Nickelodeon. If that were the case, they wouldn't bother watching other shows on Nick like TMNT or like other kids' cartoons (like the ones mentioned above.) They quit watching because of the many flaws that shouldn't have to repeated at this point. Any 20 year olds that claim to still love watching FOP probably aren't praising Hartman for the current state of the show. They're probably just awestruck at meeting the guy who created what used to be a great kids' show they grew up with. If they still love watching it, it has something to do with old reruns on Nicktoons, Netflix, or the DVDs....not new episodes.

fewmet

[30]Apr 28, 2013
    • level: 12

^ BRAVO!!!!!

alfa9delta

[31]Apr 28, 2013
    • level: 6
    FOP_fan17 wrote:

cozmorocks12 wrote:

The animator tells EW that while the show has certainly evolved since its 2001 premiere ??" fairy godfather Cosmo, for example, has become "really stupid" because "the dumber we made him, the more jokes we could write" ??" its core values have stayed intact, even though its original viewers aged out of Nickelodeon's audience long ago."We have all this research that people do at the network ??" what kids like, what kids don't like, and kids of today, are they different from kids of yesterday? To me, kids like to be entertained," he says. "I don't care what era they're from. The kind of writing that we do on our show applies to kids of any age, which is why I still get these 20-year-old kids coming up to me and saying, 'Mr. Hartman, I grew up on with your show.' And they still love watching it."

WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF CRAP.

You had to make Cosmo "really dumb" in order to write more jokes? Funny, I watch other TV shows that have been on for a long time and they didn't need to dumb down the cast for the sake of jokes. These shows are still genuinely funny and while the characters have developed,this has nothing to do with their IQs being cut in half. If you can no longer write for the characters with normal intelligence, that might be a clue to cancel the show.

"Core values have stayed intact?" I beg to differ. This show used to be about a troubled kid who needed fairy godparents to brighten his day. He loved them so much he went on adventures with them a lot and did things for them without being asked. The godparents loved each other and genuinely enjoyed their jobs. A show that keeps its core values doesn't shed all ofits characters' morals and turn them into bad polar opposites of their former selves. Ifanyone thinks "core values" now entail a stupid, insulting husband, an insulted, never-gets-to-have-fun wife, and a spoiled rotten, selfishchild, I feel truly sorry for them.

I don't believe fora minute that they're doing research. If they are, they're twisting the results to make them say what they want. If kids today liked FOP's current flavor, then why isn't the showgetting more viewers?Why are SB and TMNT, someof its competitors, doing so much better? Why are Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and MLP such a hit with kids? Because those showrunners actually KNOW what kids like and give it to them in their shows. Kids want humor, sure, but they also want loving, multi-dimensional characters, compelling plot lines, FUNNY jokes, and different experiences. Something that the above mentioned shows know how to pull off, but FOP doesn't and hasn't for a long time.

The previous audience didn't leave just because they got too old for Nickelodeon. If that were the case, they wouldn't bother watching other shows on Nick like TMNT or like other kids' cartoons (like the ones mentioned above.) They quit watching because of the many flaws that shouldn't have to repeated at this point. Any 20 year olds that claim to still love watching FOP probably aren't praising Hartman for the current state of the show. They're probably just awestruck at meeting the guy who created what used to be a great kids' show they grew up with. If they still love watching it, it has something to do with old reruns on Nicktoons, Netflix, or the DVDs....not new episodes.

I agree with everything, except for the part you described Timmy. I truly don't believe Timmy has become more selfish than he ever was. Instead, he's been much more passionate to his fairies and putting their lives in front of his own since Hartman decided to turn FOP into The Fairy Family Show, focusing 100% on the Turner/Fairywinkle-Cosma family.

FOP_fan17

[32]Apr 30, 2013
    ^Timmy's a little better than he was, but I think the writers still have some work to do. And the only reason I think he changed was because of Poof. That's better than no change at all, though.

FOP_fan17

[33]Apr 30, 2013

fewmet wrote:

^ BRAVO!!!!!

Thanks! I practically wrote a novel but I'm glad others agree!