The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

Nickelodeon Upfront 2012 - FOP is coming back

  • Avatar of forever_brit

    forever_brit

    [1]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 313

    Hi, folks.


    I just thought I'd pass along this news since I happened to stumble upon the highlights from this year's Nick upfront.


    FOP will be coming back with new episodes and there will be a live-action FOP Christmas movie with Drake Bell reprising his role as Timmy Turner.


    More information about the upfront can be found here.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LRifle

    LRifle

    [2]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 05/11/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 739

    Very big info for FoP fans



    At the same time I'm sure they'll be more bickering over the new live action movie, so I'm not so enthusiastic about the whole thing

    Edited on 03/14/2012 3:44pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alexspotsme

    alexspotsme

    [3]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 08/28/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 338
    This got me shocked as in, "WOW. I cannot believe FOP is getting this revive. What great news to brighten up my day!"

    I'm glad FOP is returning with another season. Although a second live action film, a Christmas one at that, is kind of "woah" to me. One was okay, but two of this uh... we'll have to see.

    I can't wait to see all the new course meals that Butch is serving to us.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cozmorocks12

    cozmorocks12

    [4]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 02/01/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,217


    alexspotsme wrote:
    This got me shocked as in, "WOW. I cannot believe FOP is getting this revive. What great news to brighten up my day!" I'm glad FOP is returning with another season. Although a second live action film, a Christmas one at that, is kind of "woah" to me. One was okay, but two of this uh... we'll have to see. I can't wait to see all the new course meals that Butch is serving to us.



    WOAH is right. This is really unprecedented. Nick must be really desperate due to its recent ratings downturn. So far they've ordered three seasons of TUFF Puppy and just now another FOP season? I'm shocked.



    Regarding the live-action movie, plot wise honestly what else can they do? The cartoon has had two specials already.



    New episodes? i don't know about that. I'm tired of having false hope. Fingers crossed that they hire some new writers or something. Sullivan Delaurentis and Scifrin should definitely be fired.



    BTW The only thing semi-related to FOP that was remotely positive was this tidbit:Seven new animation pilots picked up for the 2012-2013 season, including four pilots helmed by hit-maker Butch Hartman (The Fairly OddParents,T.U.F.F. Puppy). His crew can't work on four cartoons at the same time so that might be good news. ;D


    Edited on 03/14/2012 7:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gideonbernstein

    gideonbernstein

    [5]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 03/23/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 1,296

    cozmorocks12 wrote:



    alexspotsme wrote:
    This got me shocked as in, "WOW. I cannot believe FOP is getting this revive. What great news to brighten up my day!" I'm glad FOP is returning with another season. Although a second live action film, a Christmas one at that, is kind of "woah" to me. One was okay, but two of this uh... we'll have to see. I can't wait to see all the new course meals that Butch is serving to us.



    WOAH is right. This is really unprecedented. Nick must be really desperate due to its recent ratings downturn. So far they've ordered three seasons of TUFF Puppy and just now another FOP season? I'm shocked.



    Regarding the live-action movie, plot wise honestly what else can they do? The cartoon has had two specials already.



    New episodes? i don't know about that. I'm tired of having false hope. Fingers crossed that they hire some new writers or something. Sullivan Delaurentis and Scifrin should definitely be fired.



    BTW The only thing semi-related to FOP that was remotely positive was this tidbit:Seven new animation pilots picked up for the 2012-2013 season, including four pilots helmed by hit-maker Butch Hartman (The Fairly OddParents,T.U.F.F. Puppy). His crew can't work on four cartoons at the same time so that might be good news. ;D





    Mot only that, but they renewed T.U.F.F. Puppy for another season as well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FOP_fan17

    FOP_fan17

    [6]Mar 14, 2012
    • member since: 02/12/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 5,083
    WOW....I honestly did not see that coming! Well, I guess we're in for another round...I'm willing to watch, but they NEED to improve things! Only bring it back if they're willing to make positive changes! I'm hoping the Christmas movie is good...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LRifle

    LRifle

    [7]Mar 15, 2012
    • member since: 05/11/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 739

    Dave Thomas spoke on this blog and said that the new FOP will be produced along TUFF Puppy, but he won't be working on it.



    Too bad, he was one of the last insights we had into the FOP staff left.

    Edited on 03/15/2012 3:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cozmorocks12

    cozmorocks12

    [8]Mar 15, 2012
    • member since: 02/01/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,217

    LRifle wrote:


    Dave Thomas spoke on this blog and said that the new FOP will be produced along TUFF Puppy, but he won't be working on it.



    Too bad, he was one of the last insights we had into the FOP staff left.



    Yeah it will be a bummer since no more insider information, but honestly he didn't seem to be helping the cause.


    Anyone else think this may mean some staff changes in FOP? I have my fingers crossed.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fewmet

    fewmet

    [9]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 08/20/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,889

    ^Sure hope so. Bye bye, Dave Thomas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out (although that'd be funnier than anything he ever wrote).



    I could see this coming. Nick's new products are incredibly lame and keep bombing. Interestingly enough, the bombs are often fashioned after Butch's formula: loud annoying idiots as protagonists. Best examples: Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum. Yet Nick keeps hiring the guy. The word "desperation" does come to mind. Especially since Nick refers to him as a "hitmaker", implying he's had multiple hit shows, when the only hit he's had is FOP. Tuff Puppy? No way is it a hit. It faded faster than cheap curtains on a sunny window.


    Disney Channel clearly has nothing to worry about. Nick is no longer viable competition. It has no sense of direction, does a lousy job of overseeing its product and keeps hiring the same has-been over and over again. Sad.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luiz4200

    luiz4200

    [10]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,943
    fewmet wrote:

    ^Sure hope so. Bye bye, Dave Thomas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out (although that'd be funnier than anything he ever wrote).



    I could see this coming. Nick's new products are incredibly lame and keep bombing. Interestingly enough, the bombs are often fashioned after Butch's formula: loud annoying idiots as protagonists. Best examples: Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum. Yet Nick keeps hiring the guy. The word "desperation" does come to mind. Especially since Nick refers to him as a "hitmaker", implying he's had multiple hit shows, when the only hit he's had is FOP. Tuff Puppy? No way is it a hit. It faded faster than cheap curtains on a sunny window.


    Disney Channel clearly has nothing to worry about. Nick is no longer viable competition. It has no sense of direction, does a lousy job of overseeing its product and keeps hiring the same has-been over and over again. Sad.



    The only hit is FOP? What about DP?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luiz4200

    luiz4200

    [11]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,943
    forever_brit wrote:

    Hi, folks.


    I just thought I'd pass along this news since I happened to stumble upon the highlights from this year's Nick upfront.


    FOP will be coming back with new episodes and there will be a live-action FOP Christmas movie with Drake Bell reprising his role as Timmy Turner.


    More information about the upfront can be found here.



    Is the film a prequel or a sequel to the other movie with Bell as Timmy?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of edmasterchaos

    edmasterchaos

    [12]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 03/07/06
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 24,440

    luiz4200 wrote:
    forever_brit wrote:


    Hi, folks.


    I just thought I'd pass along this news since I happened to stumble upon the highlights from this year's Nick upfront.


    FOP will be coming back with new episodes and there will be a live-action FOP Christmas movie with Drake Bell reprising his role as Timmy Turner.


    More information about the upfront can be found here.


    Is the film a prequel or a sequel to the other movie with Bell as Timmy?
    Most likely a sequel, i mean, the first's ending was 'Now i'm going across the world with my girlfriend and fairies to bring good to everyone! 8D" so it's obvious that it was geared towards making sequels if viable, plus, a christmas special with that base concept practically writes itself.


    Glad to see this is coming back, with T.U.F.F. Puppy (it's a cute little cartoon, i can really bare watching it with minimal eye rollings, so that's good) Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar Penguins, Power Rangers (Hopefully Saban will stop slapping Shikenger with the cheesy Samurai thing and do something good when Gokaiger gets americanized.) TMNT and Korra (God-tier!! GOD-TIER CARTOON. CN's 'top' action shows are Ben 10, which is OK right now but is getting Another new series so who knows how that'll turn out, Generator Rex, which is great, not the best thing ever, but it's really good and has about six episodes left. Young Justice, which... is ok, though DCAU fans sure notice the difference and it's really just not as good as it should be. And finally, Green Lantern, which i guess it's good and will likely become the stronghold. Disney's marvel shows are also good, but Korra is just nuking them out of the water) i think Nick's really going to be getting it on in the animated department.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luiz4200

    luiz4200

    [13]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,943
    edmasterchaos wrote:

    luiz4200 wrote:
    forever_brit wrote:


    Hi, folks.


    I just thought I'd pass along this news since I happened to stumble upon the highlights from this year's Nick upfront.


    FOP will be coming back with new episodes and there will be a live-action FOP Christmas movie with Drake Bell reprising his role as Timmy Turner.


    More information about the upfront can be found here.


    Is the film a prequel or a sequel to the other movie with Bell as Timmy?
    Most likely a sequel, i mean, the first's ending was 'Now i'm going across the world with my girlfriend and fairies to bring good to everyone! 8D" so it's obvious that it was geared towards making sequels if viable, plus, a christmas special with that base concept practically writes itself.


    Glad to see this is coming back, with T.U.F.F. Puppy (it's a cute little cartoon, i can really bare watching it with minimal eye rollings, so that's good) Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar Penguins, Power Rangers (Hopefully Saban will stop slapping Shikenger with the cheesy Samurai thing and do something good when Gokaiger gets americanized.) TMNT and Korra (God-tier!! GOD-TIER CARTOON. CN's 'top' action shows are Ben 10, which is OK right now but is getting Another new series so who knows how that'll turn out, Generator Rex, which is great, not the best thing ever, but it's really good and has about six episodes left. Young Justice, which... is ok, though DCAU fans sure notice the difference and it's really just not as good as it should be. And finally, Green Lantern, which i guess it's good and will likely become the stronghold. Disney's marvel shows are also good, but Korra is just nuking them out of the water) i think Nick's really going to be getting it on in the animated department.



    Will they follow the cartoon rule about fairies lending most of their magic to Santa Claus?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LRifle

    LRifle

    [14]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 05/11/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 739
    edmasterchaos wrote:

    luiz4200 wrote:
    forever_brit wrote:


    Hi, folks.


    I just thought I'd pass along this news since I happened to stumble upon the highlights from this year's Nick upfront.


    FOP will be coming back with new episodes and there will be a live-action FOP Christmas movie with Drake Bell reprising his role as Timmy Turner.


    More information about the upfront can be found here.


    Is the film a prequel or a sequel to the other movie with Bell as Timmy?
    Most likely a sequel, i mean, the first's ending was 'Now i'm going across the world with my girlfriend and fairies to bring good to everyone! 8D" so it's obvious that it was geared towards making sequels if viable, plus, a christmas special with that base concept practically writes itself.


    Glad to see this is coming back, with T.U.F.F. Puppy (it's a cute little cartoon, i can really bare watching it with minimal eye rollings, so that's good) Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar Penguins, Power Rangers (Hopefully Saban will stop slapping Shikenger with the cheesy Samurai thing and do something good when Gokaiger gets americanized.) TMNT and Korra (God-tier!! GOD-TIER CARTOON. CN's 'top' action shows are Ben 10, which is OK right now but is getting Another new series so who knows how that'll turn out, Generator Rex, which is great, not the best thing ever, but it's really good and has about six episodes left. Young Justice, which... is ok, though DCAU fans sure notice the difference and it's really just not as good as it should be. And finally, Green Lantern, which i guess it's good and will likely become the stronghold. Disney's marvel shows are also good, but Korra is just nuking them out of the water) i think Nick's really going to be getting it on in the animated department.




    I agree. With Korra, TMNT, TUFF Puppy, plus new seasons of Nick's core line up. Nickelodeon has absolutely no excuse to not dominate this year. They just need to get their scheduling act together, fast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alfa9delta

    alfa9delta

    [15]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 157

    luiz4200 wrote:
    Will they follow the cartoon rule about fairies lending most of their magic to Santa Claus?
    . Sadly, I guess they won't. In the first movie they had a lot of mistakes of this kind, like Timmy didn't lose his fairies after telling about them to AJ and Chester, and many other examples.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cozmorocks12

    cozmorocks12

    [16]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 02/01/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,217

    luiz4200 wrote:
    fewmet wrote:


    ^Sure hope so. Bye bye, Dave Thomas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out (although that'd be funnier than anything he ever wrote).



    I could see this coming. Nick's new products are incredibly lame and keep bombing. Interestingly enough, the bombs are often fashioned after Butch's formula: loud annoying idiots as protagonists. Best examples: Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum. Yet Nick keeps hiring the guy. The word "desperation" does come to mind. Especially since Nick refers to him as a "hitmaker", implying he's had multiple hit shows, when the only hit he's had is FOP. Tuff Puppy? No way is it a hit. It faded faster than cheap curtains on a sunny window.


    Disney Channel clearly has nothing to worry about. Nick is no longer viable competition. It has no sense of direction, does a lousy job of overseeing its product and keeps hiring the same has-been over and over again. Sad.


    The only hit is FOP? What about DP?


    FOP has been running on Nick since 2001 and unofficially since 1999. DP on the other hand lasted 3 years by comparison. FOP really set the bar higher thatvery few cartoons will reach.

    Edited on 03/17/2012 5:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luiz4200

    luiz4200

    [17]Mar 18, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,943
    alfa9delta wrote:

    luiz4200 wrote:
    Will they follow the cartoon rule about fairies lending most of their magic to Santa Claus?
    . Sadly, I guess they won't. In the first movie they had a lot of mistakes of this kind, like Timmy didn't lose his fairies after telling about them to AJ and Chester, and many other examples.



    The movie justified it with the "Timmy Turner Loophole".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alfa9delta

    alfa9delta

    [18]Mar 18, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 157
    luiz4200 wrote:
    alfa9delta wrote:

    luiz4200 wrote:
    Will they follow the cartoon rule about fairies lending most of their magic to Santa Claus?
    . Sadly, I guess they won't. In the first movie they had a lot of mistakes of this kind, like Timmy didn't lose his fairies after telling about them to AJ and Chester, and many other examples.



    The movie justified it with the "Timmy Turner Loophole".


    I'm not talking about the end of the movie. According to the show, Timmy would have lost his fairies by the time he told about them to his friends.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LRifle

    LRifle

    [19]Mar 18, 2012
    • member since: 05/11/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 739

    http://www.bcfilmcommission.com/database/rte/files/Mar%2013%202012.pdf


    Daniella Monet will be back in the new live movie as Tootie

    Edited on 03/18/2012 5:08pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of forever_brit

    forever_brit

    [20]Mar 19, 2012
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 313

    fewmet wrote:


    ^Sure hope so. Bye bye, Dave Thomas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out (although that'd be funnier than anything he ever wrote).



    I could see this coming. Nick's new products are incredibly lame and keep bombing. Interestingly enough, the bombs are often fashioned after Butch's formula: loud annoying idiots as protagonists. Best examples: Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum. Yet Nick keeps hiring the guy. The word "desperation" does come to mind. Especially since Nick refers to him as a "hitmaker", implying he's had multiple hit shows, when the only hit he's had is FOP. Tuff Puppy? No way is it a hit. It faded faster than cheap curtains on a sunny window.


    Disney Channel clearly has nothing to worry about. Nick is no longer viable competition. It has no sense of direction, does a lousy job of overseeing its product and keeps hiring the same has-been over and over again. Sad.



    As a retired Jimmy Neutron fan who was actively in the fandom for 8 years, I will truthfully say that NO ONE in the Jimmy Neutron community wanted a spinoff. No one. They wanted another season of JN. It's typical for Nick to ignore their viewers and give us things we didn't ask for or want.


    That's why for me, Nick stopped being relevant the day they ended Jimmy Neutron. I haven't watched it much since with the exception of a few episodes of Planet Sheen. I tried that show but I never could get into it. Sheen was much funnier on Jimmy Neutron than he was by himself. Not only that, but they hired sitcom writers to do Planet Sheen instead of the original JN writers - another reason why the show bombed.


    I'm not even really all that interested in anything Nick is putting out anymore. I've switched gears and gotten into music fandoms now and you know, I'm actually a lot happier doing that now. Animation, at least for me, has petered out. No one's coming up with any original ideas anymore - it's remake of a remake of a remake shows we've seen before like Power Rangers, or it's idiotic stuff like Fanboy and Chum Chum.


    I miss Herb Scannell. Cyma took a once great network and literally ran it into the ground along with Dave Thomas and others.

    Edited on 03/19/2012 7:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.