The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

Timmy's fate in "A Fairly Odd Summer" [Spoilers]

alexspotsme

[1]Aug 2, 2014
    • level: 15

As you all may know, the third live action movie, A Fairly Odd Summer, just aired on Nickelodeon tonight. I returned to TV.com to see if anyone here had any thoughts about the movie itself... or what happened at the end of the movie.

Incoming spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet.

So, while confronting Foop to get back the Abracadabrium (the source of all fairy power), and falling into a pool of lava (dark, by the way)... Timmy Turner becomes a fairy! He returns to his ten year old self in 3D. And also voiced by Tara Strong, his cartoon voice actor.

But because of this, Jorgen appears and tells Timmy, Tootie and the gang that since Timmy is a fairy now... he no longer needs Cosmo, Wanda and Poof. Very sad actually, but Jorgen decides to give the three fairies to the little kids in the movie: Missy and Marty. Kind of a curve turn, especially for 2 kids I don't really care for.

So in the end, the kids get 3 of our protagonists, Timmy and Tootie get use to Timmy being a fairy while at Timmy's Dad's business trip Luau party.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about this. I remember Nickelodeon mentioning something like this during the commercials, but this felt unexpected.

Unless these movies are flat out non canon, I see this messing up with the continuity. The show had many other places to end, and they kept going on after that. I couldn't care less where they end now. This seemed like an okay ending, but not a satisfying one. So many questions are left unanswered. I'm almost close to being done with this show.

Edited on 08/03/2014 1:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LRifle

[2]Aug 3, 2014
    • level: 10

Yeah, I watched most of the season 9 premieres and I regret it, they all stunk, so much that I didn't bother to watch this one until I heard about the ending.

The ending seemed better than what most people made it out to be, but still a headscratcher. I think, more than anything, they were trying to cut ties with Drake Bell, but in terms of things like canon, can we even say FOP has one of those anymore? Season 9 flayed the canon. So I don't really know what to make about Timmy dying and becoming a fairy, is this really what Hartman wants for the ending of his franchise? Look at all the other decisions he's been making, cartoon or live action, it just gets dumber and more about the shock part than the awe part. Perhaps it was a mercy kill.

The acting was bad during the whole thing. Timmy dies a horrific death and all they could do was manage a silly joke out of Crocker. The actors are as wooden as their CGI counterparts. That struck me was worse than the actual story they were going for.

I don't particularly mind that Cosmo and Wanda end up with some randoms, but again... Timmy had to die to lose them? Hartman, cmon.

The rest of the movie was mostly cruddy and its like how they forget aspects in previous episodes of the cartoon, they also now forget most of the aspects from the previous live action movies as well.

I don't know. I'm not even bothered by the ending, this show has done so much worse trash in the past few years that somehow killing Timmy and turning him into Tootie's fairy pet is actually somewhat of a welcome respite.

NegiSpongie

[3]Aug 3, 2014
    • level: 20
    Well, I heard that the movies aren't part of the show's canon. But after seeing this, I find that a good thing now.

I didn't hate the movie, I actually found it okay, yet the weakest of the three movies. I also enjoyed seeing a human version of Foop. The ending really shocked me that's for sure, especially Timmy dying by falling into a lava pit only to come back as a fairy. I also didn't really care for Cosmo, Wanda, and Poof going to Marty and Mitzi. Guess they had to stick them somewhere now that Timmy can't have them anymore. I also not really fond of Timmy becoming a fairy. It's a little too weird even for the show, and the scenes with him and Tootie still being a couple kinda make me uncomfortable (probably since he became 10 again). How are they gonna explain to Mr. and Mrs. Turner that he became a fairy, that's what I'm wondering.

I've actually come to like Season 9 honestly, aside from the addition of Sparky, lack of Poof, and Poof being able to talk now. This movie doesn't bother me about that in the slightest since luckily these movies aren't canon.

gideonbernstein

[4]Aug 3, 2014
    • level: 43
    If there is another movie, I can guess the pilot. Not only do Timmy and Tootie get married, but she becomes a fairy too.

AC

[5]Aug 6, 2014
    • level: 5

The ending was weird and as a fairy godparent, Timmy almost looked like Cosmo expect with no buckteeth.

FOP_fan17

[6]Sep 16, 2014
    • level: 22

DUMBEST. ENDING. EVER. I agree with everything LRifle said. I don't really understand why Timmy had to become a fairy. He was fine, you know, being human. Does anyone really believe Tootie is going to want to be with a fairy forever? And since Timmy is no longer human, how will he have a relationship with his parents? Unless he turns himself human for that, which also seems dumb. You can tell that no one really wants to work on this show anymore - but since Nick still wants it, and it's still a paycheck, they are doing it for that reason alone. But since Nick won't cancel it, they can seriously do the job horribly and still get payed for that. It's ridiculous. If I didn't know any better, I would say that this comes from middle school fan fiction....and some of that is honestly better than this movie was.

Edited on 09/16/2014 5:06pm

luiz4200

[7]Sep 17, 2014
    • level: 38
    FOP_fan17 wrote:

DUMBEST. ENDING. EVER. I agree with everything LRifle said. I don't really understand why Timmy had to become a fairy. He was fine, you know, being human. Does anyone really believe Tootie is going to want to be with a fairy forever? And since Timmy is no longer human, how will he have a relationship with his parents? Unless he turns himself human for that, which also seems dumb. You can tell that no one really wants to work on this show anymore - but since Nick still wants it, and it's still a paycheck, they are doing it for that reason alone. But since Nick won't cancel it, they can seriously do the job horribly and still get payed for that. It's ridiculous. If I didn't know any better, I would say that this comes from middle school fan fiction....and some of that is honestly better than this movie was.

If Timmy will stay a fairy, they'd better make Tootie a fairy as well. Otherwise, he'll outlive her for way longer than a human could expect to. Also, who'll give birth to their children? As for his parents, he can disguise himself. It's not like Mom and Dad Turner are the smartest people in the "City of Idiots".