The Fairly OddParents Forums

Daily 7:00 AM on NickelodeonIn Season

Timmy's Secret Wish / When Losers Attack / Meet the Oddparents

LRifle

[101]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 10
    cozmorocks12 wrote:

LRifle wrote:

I don't think FOP is going to end at Meet the OddParents. For one, when FOP was cancelled the first time, Hartman made a long forum post about it. Also, those who follow the ratings know that Nick has been struggling lately, and for them to cancel FOP now when there are other programs doing way worse seems like a risky business decision.

Timmy's Secret Wish showed some promise, and while the plot itself was yet another risky gag, it at times showed periods of intensity, urgency, and successfully gave off the impression that Timmy had really messed up badly this time. If a little more effort had been put into this special, the same time and resources that had been wasted on Wishology for instance, this could have been a special of equal or greater impact as Channel Chasers.

Butch probably won't say anything about FOP ending. Look at his forums, it's been practically dead for ages from fans and even Hartman himself. Nick has most likely moved on from FOP. Besides they have TUFF Puppy running and I'm sure Nick doesn't want to pay the same people twice. That's a riskier business decision, especially since TUFF Puppy and FOP haven't been doing THAT hot lately.

We'll never get anything close to Wishology since Scott Fellows has long left the show for Big Time Rush. We'll only continue to have moremediocre specials like Timmy's Secret Wish since Kevin Sullivan, Will Scifrin, and Ray Delaurentis are not going anywhere. And especially nothing like Channel Chasers. Steve Marmel doesn't even talk to Hartman anymore. Scott Fellows at the very least does.

That's too much "if"s. Hartman has mostly moved his announcements from his forum to his twitter, that is why its so dead. There are still people who respond to him on twitter and such. Even when he was on his forum, he was always very secretive and never very direct on these things, but word from both him and other staff looks like Nick is at the very least considering another FOP season. I've not heard any bad word from ToonZone and other news sites, the only bad news I ever hear about FOP comes from this forum. I think its way to early to call FOP dead.

Wishology has less to do with who wrote it and more to do with the amount of time and money that was put into it to begin with, and the payoff at the end a meek amount of viewers. Compare that to the FOP movie, which was slapped together in a few months and did better, it was written by the same people (minus Sullivan) and probably cost a fraction of the price to make, and you can see why the "FOP going live action again" rumor actually holds weight. I'm also interested in last weeks ratings, but compared to the other specials Timmy's Secret Wish got only about a week promotion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cozmorocks12

[103]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 14

LRifle wrote:

That's too much "if"s. Hartman has mostly moved his announcements from his forum to his twitter, that is why its so dead. There are still people who respond to him on twitter and such. [/QUOTE]

You're right about this. I'll admit.

[/QUOTE]Wishology has less to do with who wrote it and more to do with the amount of time and money that was put into it to begin with, and the payoff at the end a meek amount of viewers. Compare that to the FOP movie, which was slapped together in a few months and did better, it was written by the same people (minus Sullivan) and probably cost a fraction of the price to make, and you can see why the "FOP going live action again" rumor actually holds weight.[/QUOTE]

Wishology had started voice recording in March 2008, 15 months before Wishology premiered in May 2009.http://www.kissonline.com/news/archive/200803/6(scroll down a bit)Stop believing the excuse that it was rushed. It wasn't. It's quality wasmediocrebecause that's what FOP has now.Mediocrewriters. Episodes are purposely scheduled so that Nick has a good amount of episodes saved up to premiere so they had plenty of time to write the best episode they could.

The Live action movie has been rumored since 2008 at least, on these forums (I'll try finding it), supposedly there was a clip on Turbonick UK where Butch Hartman says he was asked if he would make a live-action adaptation of FOP, but I don't think you were a member back then so I don't blame you.

[/QUOTE]I'm also interested in last weeks ratings, but compared to the other specials Timmy's Secret Wish got only about a week promotion.[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing it was about two weeks, but we've seen that all the advertising (a months worth with Wishology) doesn't always guarantee decent ratings. Nevertheless I'm quite interested as well. If it's any good we'll hear tomorrow. If not there's always Tuesday, which I'm placing my bets we'l find out.

edmasterchaos

[104]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 41
    ^Err, Cozmorocks, her whole point on wishology was that they spent time and effort on it for a low payback, while the live action movie got way better ratings for a more rushed work.

FOP_fan17

[105]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 22
    I'm surprised some people here don't think FOP will be cancelled soon, but then again I'm not the best person to judge this. When it went on hiatus between "Timmy the Barbarian" and FOB, I thought it had been cancelled and was utterly SHOCKED to see it come back. I saw advertisements before it ever went on hiatus, and couldn't think of what episodes they pertained to, and when the movie came out I got my answer. While I would like to see it come back, I don't really know it if would be worth it. I don't pay attention to ratings, but I do know that the fanbase has seriously dwindled....would there really be a point to renewing it? I could see them doing something small every few years as a "remember us" type of thing, but that's it.

cozmorocks12

[106]Nov 27, 2011

edmasterchaos wrote:
    ^Err, Cozmorocks, her whole point on wishology was that they spent time and effort on it for a low payback, while the live action movie got way better ratings for a more rushed work.

Oh I see I got a bit carried away. I still feel Wishology has no excuses for being bad though imho.

But I do feel that we're both quite dedicated fans of FOP so we can agree to disagree.

LRifle

[107]Nov 28, 2011

cozmorocks12 wrote:

Wishology has less to do with who wrote it and more to do with the amount of time and money that was put into it to begin with, and the payoff at the end a meek amount of viewers. Compare that to the FOP movie, which was slapped together in a few months and did better, it was written by the same people (minus Sullivan) and probably cost a fraction of the price to make, and you can see why the "FOP going live action again" rumor actually holds weight.[/QUOTE]

Wishology had started voice recording in March 2008, 15 months before Wishology premiered in May 2009.http://www.kissonline.com/news/archive/200803/6(scroll down a bit)Stop believing the excuse that it was rushed. It wasn't. It's quality wasmediocrebecause that's what FOP has now.Mediocrewriters. Episodes are purposely scheduled so that Nick has a good amount of episodes saved up to premiere so they had plenty of time to write the best episode they could.

The Live action movie has been rumored since 2008 at least, on these forums (I'll try finding it), supposedly there was a clip on Turbonick UK where Butch Hartman says he was asked if he would make a live-action adaptation of FOP, but I don't think you were a member back then so I don't blame you.

[/QUOTE]I'm also interested in last weeks ratings, but compared to the other specials Timmy's Secret Wish got only about a week promotion.[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing it was about two weeks, but we've seen that all the advertising (a months worth with Wishology) doesn't always guarantee decent ratings. Nevertheless I'm quite interested as well. If it's any good we'll hear tomorrow. If not there's always Tuesday, which I'm placing my bets we'l find out.

[/QUOTE]

A few things.

One, I'm a bit tired of hearing ratings getting thrown around here so confidently so much in the first place, considering none of us have any clue what Nick considers good or bad ratings for FOP. The live movie pulling the most viewers ever since Fairly Odd Baby still wasn't enough for some people here, and unless every movie pulls 10 million viewers than it is apparently a "failure" and "FOP is doomed". There is reason why the people saying that don't post (or aren't allowed to post) on actual Nickelodeon news sites.

As for my point on Wishology, you obviously misunderstood what I meant. I know that Wishology took around 18 months or so to develop. The point is they spent over a year working on a special that is more to blame for FOP's cancellation risk than the live movie or Season 7. Had they spent 18 months and however many million dollars on the live movie or Timmy's Secret Wish instead, it would have been better money spent on movies that actually had a plot important to FOP fans.

I'm well aware of when the FOP movie was first planned and the registration date of my account has nothing to do with this, please don't pull the veteran card on me again. My point again is that it only took about two months total to film that movie and just a few more months after that to get the CGI done.

cozmorocks12

[108]Nov 28, 2011

LRifle wrote:

One, I'm a bit tired of hearing ratings getting thrown around here so confidently so much in the first place, considering none of us have any clue what Nick considers good or bad ratings for FOP. The live movie pulling the most viewers ever since Fairly Odd Baby still wasn't enough for some people here, and unless every movie pulls 10 million viewers than it is apparently a "failure" and "FOP is doomed". There is reason why the people saying that don't post (or aren't allowed to post) on actual Nickelodeon news sites.

I feel that if a movie does well, then Nick will renew the series. Maybe FOP doesn't need to pull Fairly OddBaby numbers, but the fact is that FOP hasn't been renewed since May 2009. In my opinion that means FOP is done.

fewmet

[109]Nov 28, 2011
    • level: 12

Did somebody mention ratings? Here you go:http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/28/wednesday-cable-ratings-american-horror-story-cruises-to-easy-thanksgiving-eve-win/111863/

I'll let you guys decide what it all means.

edmasterchaos

[110]Nov 28, 2011

fewmet wrote:

Did somebody mention ratings? Here you go:http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/11/28/wednesday-cable-ratings-american-horror-story-cruises-to-easy-thanksgiving-eve-win/111863/

I'll let you guys decide what it all means.

Second hottest thing on tv?! O.O

cozmorocks12

[111]Nov 28, 2011

Fewmet you never disappoint.

So Timmy's Secret Wish pulled almost 3 million viewers? Well I'm not surprised. Now the clock ticks as we wait till March for a "possible" FOP renewal, since I guess the consensus is we never know for sure if FOP will be renewed or not.

LRifle

[112]Nov 29, 2011

Nearly 3 million viewers is modest and once again I have no idea whether Nick will consider that "good" or not. The things that truly factor in are invisible to us, mainly how much it cost to make/time to make, and the payoff in the end. Nick might be considering Thanksgiving week means more viewers or less, who knows.

That list also seems to be ranking them by adult viewers but for the week the FOP movie was only behind a NCSI episode. I'm just glad FOP is still making the cable rankings when other Nick shows (besides Spongebob) struggle to do this.

Again, cancellation is too strong of a word. Because FOP has not been revived means nothing. It took them about a full year to revive FOP after the last episode of Season 5 aired, and that was when they were "sure" the show was done. I personally won't consider FOP cancelled until the day Hartman gets fired or announces to the world he doesn't want to make money anymore.

mcreary

[113]Nov 29, 2011
    • level: 3
    I agree with LRifle. Neither fewmet or cosmorulez seem to know anything what they are talking about when it comes to ratings, yet that is all they ever do here is bring that crap up. NO ONE FREAKIN CARES.

fewmet

[114]Nov 29, 2011
    • level: 12

mcreary wrote:
    I agree with LRifle. Neither fewmet or cosmorulez seem to know anything what they are talking about when it comes to ratings, yet that is all they ever do here is bring that crap up. NO ONE FREAKIN CARES.

You can bet your ding-dong-daddy Nickelodeon cares: http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/nickelodeons-ratings-decline-is-no-blip-is-viacom-or-nielsen-to-blame/

edmasterchaos

[115]Nov 29, 2011
    fewmet wrote:

mcreary wrote:

You can bet your ding-dong-daddy Nickelodeon cares: http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/nickelodeons-ratings-decline-is-no-blip-is-viacom-or-nielsen-to-blame/

So... they're doing badly. Then this guy that runs a site starts talking about his opinion. Coolio.

cozmorocks12

[116]Nov 29, 2011

mcreary wrote:

Ratings matter. You may not WANT to believe that, but they do. I'm just going to wait till March. We'll see what Nick decides. But looking at how Nick may be in the same ratings trouble situation as 2007, we'll never know till then. I still doubt it though. TUFF Puppy nor Danny Phantom were producing episodes back in 2007.

There's a reason why often times Nick and Disney will publish weekly or month press releases bragging their ratings compared to the competition.

Edited on 11/29/2011 8:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

FOP_fan17

[117]Nov 29, 2011
    • level: 22
    It's been over two years now.....not sure how I feel about FOP getting renewed. Then againg, while I agree that ratings matter, Nick might see FOP no differently than any of the other struggling shows. If they decide not to keep it, I'll remember what I liked about it. If they bring it back, I'll tune in and stay here to read the discussion games begin. But honestly, if they DO bring it back....what's going to change? Nothing. It'll be the same old, same old that it's been since Fairly Odd Baby premiered. No reason to get excited or disappointed about it.

cozmorocks12

[118]Nov 29, 2011

FOP_fan17 wrote:
    It's been over two years now.....not sure how I feel about FOP getting renewed. Then againg, while I agree that ratings matter, Nick might see FOP no differently than any of the other struggling shows. If they decide not to keep it, I'll remember what I liked about it. If they bring it back, I'll tune in and stay here to read the discussion games begin. But honestly, if they DO bring it back....what's going to change? Nothing. It'll be the same old, same old that it's been since Fairly Odd Baby premiered. No reason to get excited or disappointed about it.

That's what I'm trying to say. The same ol' writers are going to stay. Why bother anymore? It's clear the staff itself is tired. FOP should end now then dragging it further to oblivion.

LRifle

[119]Nov 29, 2011
    fewmet wrote:

....that article said absolutely nothing about FOP. In fact, if anything, it seems Spongebob and the Dan Schneider live action shows are more under fire.

FOP rarely airs on Nickelodeon outside of early morning (which it tends to beat Disney in anyway) and premieres. Despite the what some doomsayers are indicating, a FOP movie getting 3 million viewers isn't the end of the world. The show isn't done until Hartman says it's done. As a matter of fact, I'm beginning to suspect this crisis at Nick has empowered Hartman a bit, considering his studio owns two of the three top draw animated shows.

LRifle

[120]Nov 29, 2011

cozmorocks12 wrote:

FOP_fan17 wrote:

That's what I'm trying to say. The same ol' writers are going to stay. Why bother anymore? It's clear the staff itself is tired. FOP should end now then dragging it further to oblivion.

Yeah, I don't exactly disagree with what you're saying, but the FOP staff has been changed around before.

I still want to see Timmy and friends go on adventures. Most of you complainers aren't even watching the show anymore, so why does it bug you so much whether FOP gets revived or not? If enough of you stop watching, then FOP will dip into 2.2 mil Bucket and Skinner numbers, THEN I'll join you in shoveling dirt on the casket.