A The Fall Community
Monday 9:00 PM on Netflix (Returning 2016)

It's the dead of summer and we're all running dangerously low on complex, well-done, edge-of-your-seat shows to watch. It's hot outside, you cannot stomach any more reality television, but maybe you're not quite ready to dive into Battlestar Galactica or any other multi-season series you missed the first time around. Let me offer you a nail-biter of a solution, currently (and pretty newly) available on Netflix Instant: The Fall. 

The Fall is a five-episode BBC2 series starring the impeccable Gillian Anderson. She plays Stella Gibson, a British Detective Superintendent who's called in to review a disturbing murder in Northern Ireland—a case that turns out to be one of many, and the work of a serial killer. But The Fall isn't a show meant to keep you constantly guessing which character is going to turn out to be the bad guy; instead, we're introduced to the killer, Paul Spector right away, and we follow his day-to-day life. Neither ghoulishly violent nor over-the-top bizarre, this killer is a loving husband and father as well as a bereavement counselor; the most "shocking" thing about him is that's incredibly attractive (Spector is played by a former underwear model, Jamie Dornan). This unique point-of-view is just one of the many wonders of The Fall

In five episodes, the show takes its time, checking in on the lives of Spector's clients, following Gibson as she goes for a swim, or staying with Spector as he comforts his daughter after she has a nightmare, knowing that the "mementos" of his kills are hidden in the ceiling above her head. Many scenes are completely devoid of dialogue but full of a creeping anxiety that, more than once, made me aware of how shallow my own breath had become. I watch a lot of crime/horror shows, but this one had me literally biting my nails. It can be an extremely stressful show to watch, and it's less about finding specific clues than it is about the complexity of the characters on both sides of the law. Take, for example, a 911 operator who fields a breathless call about Spector's latest victim. We hear the entire exchange, but as soon as it ends, the 911 operator pushes a button to move on to the next incoming call. It's a small moment, but one of many that colors the world in which these crimes take place. 

Anderson is tremendous as Gibson, infusing the character with a cold precision, a strong sense of authority, and a strange, clinical sexuality. She alternately lectures on mating rituals in other countries, ignores her coworkers' attempts to bond with her, and deliberately riles up the serial killer she's chasing, but she doesn't seem to have any magical, Sherlock Holmesian deduction abilities. She's just trying to focus on all the evidence in front of her. Dornan is equally strong, playing Spector as a calm, loving father whose brutal crimes are sharply contrasted with scenes in which he plays with his two kids. When things start to unravel a bit, you see the panic in his eyes as his two completely divergent worlds start to overlap. You see him start to lose the control he seeks (and finds) in killing, and his reactions are perfectly played. You believe him as a counselor and you believe him as a murderer, simultaneously. 

Still need more? Okay, let's see: The Fall is like if The Following had sex with Top of the Lake while Hannibal watched. 

Of course, The Fall may not be for everyone. There's not a ton of action on this show—you have to wait for the tension to build. The characters are presented full of flaws and pathological tendencies, but without much in the way of explanation; there are no origin stories here. Finally, the five-episode series does not wrap up neatly—though it's already renewed for a second season in the U.K.—so you can't expect to come away feeling like you've completed something. 

What you can expect is to finish the episodes feeling desperate to see Season 2. The Fall was a wonderful find on Netflix for me, and I look forward to having it stress me out in the future. 

79 Comments
Comments (79)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Una interpretación magnífica de Gillian Anderson y de Jamie Dornan. La verdad es que hacen falta series como esta, alejadas de los tópicos de policías y criminales de las series norteamericanas. El resto de actores están todos impecables en sus papeles.
Flag
Love British stuff. This was spell-binding. And Anderson's British accent is spot on. Looking forward to Season 2.
Flag
Staff
Finished it a couple of weeks back. Agree with everything.
Never watched X-Files, Gillian Anderson is trmendous.
Flag
Nah, Following doesn't deserve to be mentioned in one sentence with refreshing "Fall". Brits know how to make good TV series. Important thing about Fall is that it doesn't delve into serial killer as omnipresent glamourous powerful guy. It denies its serial killer any power or glamour, he's boring eventually in comparison with Anderson's character.
Flag
Definitely worth watching, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes dark or psychological thrillers.
Flag
As for Luther, I really miss Ruth Wilson. Just sayin'...
Flag
Gave this a go last night, as promised, and my wife and I were quite intrigued with the first episode. Who says there's nothing on in the summertime...
Flag
Talking of procedural shows, watch Engrenages , a french series ( re-titled Spiral on BBC). Shield looks like a baby.
Flag
Thank you for the heads up. I'll check this out once I finish marathon-ing Orange is the New Black.
Flag
Funny how Anderson looks hotter & hotter with age LOL ;-)
Flag
I loved the series - Gillian is luminous and stirred up all sorts of crushes I thought had disappeared when The X-Files ended - but the ending made me go Whaaaaaaaat, like Cece on New Girl. Hoping series 2 would come back strongly.
Flag
The ending did really let it down
Flag
I'm waaaay late to the party, but I finally watched and actually loved that ending. Granted, if I didn't already know a second season was in the works, it would have made me very nervous.
Flag
And now you should watch Line Of Duty, the 2nd season is actually better than the first - you could watch either season on its own
Flag
Spoilerclown!!!
Flag
Agreeingclown
Flag
Coolclown
Flag
This is REALLY good...however I hope for a second season...no spoilers.
Flag
There will be a 2nd season - it was announced a month or so ago that its renewed
Flag
I haven't watched it yet but will do soon.

One thing, as it's British its a 999 operator not 911......ok I'm only picking holes for fun, don't take me too seriously.
Flag
"Still need more? Okay, let's see: The Fall is like if The Following had sex with Top of the Lake while Hannibal watched. "

I do not really agree but I really find the above comment very funny !

I watched the show and I think it is a great show ! The 2 leads are fantastic. I never thought Jamie from Once upon a time can act so well. The pace is a bit slow but it is very engaging so you will not find it boring.

It is another show about serial killer but this is the first one that shows it from the point of the killer. He seems like a very normal guy.

I highly recommend it and I am glad there is a second season.
Flag
This article actually convinced me! Just watched the first episodes, totally interested! Also, hottest serial killer ever, or hottest serial killer ever?
Flag
"I don't understand the questions and I won't respond to it"
Flag
Love these Brit minis. Giving it a go tonight...
Flag
I think I'd rather wait for next season and then watch them together since it doesn't wrap up.

Sounds good enough.
Flag
I know, it left me feeling unresolved.
Flag
ok, I'm intrigued
Flag
Staff
Is it better than BBC's "Sherlock"?
Flag
Staff
So thats a no.
Flag
its slower and more of a procedural - its still very good though
Flag
Staff
Different sort of animal.
Flag
You got that right!
Flag
No way. It lacks the pace, deft writing and wordy interplay. People expecting to see lots of Anderson and her exchanges with the criminal element will be sorely disappointed.
Flag
Beautiful show, I saw the original. I must say British police generally move at snail speed and worry about the most asinine boring things! Too bad because they got some awesome crime writers! The villain of the show was deliciously creepy and so good-looking too.
Flag
The Fall is one of the greatest serial killer drama i have seen, it is really perfect and have a new perspective on the typical Sherlock Holmes/Moriarty relationship between the antagonist and protagonist in every serial killer show
You know from the beginning of episode one who is the serial killer, the show follows his life
The serial killer here is smart, but not perfect, he makes mistakes and fixes them, he doesn't have a perfect alibi for everything, which makes the show more realistic than other serial killer drama and more interesting at the same time
Unlike other serial killer dramas, the killer here doesn't want to be known, he doesn't want to be caught, he doesn't form any kind of relationship with the protagonist - not at the first season at least -, he doesn't even know her, if he is like any other serial killer real or fake then he is like real life serial killer Ted Bundy, when he is with his family or his patients he's like an angel, but when he is in full serial killer mode he is very much like Hannibal but from an other approach, he have a problem with women, he express it wit killing them
The cast of the series is great, Jamie Dornan(the serial killer, Sheriff Graham - OUaT) is amazing and have a special vibe that i don't think many have, Gillian Anderson (The X-Files - Hannibal) is really good also
The only bad thing i can think of is the short episode order(which may be the reason why it's that good) and the long waiting period we have to wait after only five episodes of the show
Other notes :
- The Fall is the highest rated drama launch in eight years [according to wikipedia].
- The Fall has been renewed for a second series of 5 episodes.
- Gillian Anderson will be an executive producer for season 2.
More+
Flag
i really enjoyed season1. good acting ,and it 's not "another"series about cop and psico-serial killer it's well played and deeper than that.
Flag
And now the truth is out there. Very Good Mini-series.
Flag
If you like The Killing and / or The Bridge you will love The Fall. It's that simple. I strongly recommend this show. Gillian Anderson is amazing as Stella.
Flag
Love The Killing, so I guess I'll go for it!
Flag
Check out Broadchurch as well - its more like The Killing, but i liked it a lot more (its another British crime series, lasts 8 episodes and stars David Tennant)
Flag
yeps! I have it in my list to watch as well - at least I'll have that for this summer, since there is no much more to watch for now... :)
Flag
I also compared it to the killing and my wife said, "No way, ho-say. She 's off it again, but loves Broadchurch--I like um both, so go figure...
Flag
This must be the most chilling show on TV.
Flag
I cannot say enough good things about this show, but the comment below me almost did. This show was amazing.
Flag
Highly recommended and original British adult drama. When this came on I was curious...and it didn't disappoint at all. A spot on review...it's not really gory or that violent but ratchets up the tension in spades. Also I'd like to say that the acting all round is excellent...and not just from Gillian Anderson who is superb and who's accent is flawless. She is mesmerising and makes her character entirely convincing. A great contrast to the cheaply executed The Following. The drama is also a gritty study of the many problems inherent in the culture within which it's set; from the chauvinism of the local colleagues to the problems with local gangsters. It's a great character study from both sides of the fence and don't get put off by the fact it's about a serial killer as it's so much more.
Flag
This is a really terrific show. I like the fact that Gillian gets to play a different kind of female character, one who doesn't submit to old-fashioned expectations about women. It's nice to see Archie Panjabi in it too, even though her role is small.

The only problem is, as with many other great British shows, the lenght of the season. Five episodes? In that time I only have time to get warmed up. The seasons for Luther have been six, four and four episodes long. For Sherlock there has been two three episode seasons and the upcoming one is also only three episodes.
Flag
Staff
KALDINA CHEATED ON ALICIA WITH GIBSON!! *SOBS*
Flag
When Gibson and Smith were having a drink in a bar, I think it was the fourth episode of The Fall, it was such a flashback to all those times when Alicia and Kalinda have sat in a bar doing shots.
Flag
Love Alicia and Kalinda in the bar doing shots...
Flag
STELL-LAAAAA!!!
Flag
Great, great show! Incredible acting and Incredible story!
Flag
How violent, and how gory, is it, as compared with The Killing or Hannibal.
Flag
Not at all, really. During the five episodes there are only a few crime scenes, and only one of them is bloody. A few scenes with violence towards defenceless people, in case that makes you squeamish. It's definitely less gory than Hannibal. Considering that The Killing also has very little actual violence and gore, I could say that The Fall is more on par with that show.
Flag
Staff
It's physically violent enough, but likely nothing you haven't seen before (though it's intense nonetheless). There's not much in the way of gore until the tail end of the season (4th or 5th episode; sort of hazy because I watched it all in a rush this weekend myself).

So, for your comparisons listed, it's a little more violent as The Killing but not even in the same gory league as Hannibal (but then again, even the goriest show you can list isn't exactly the same type of gory as Hannibal due to its nightmare/dreamscape qualities).
Flag
You don't need gore to be intense and this show is living proof of that. Wasn't it you, Noel that said you we're fed up with all the unnecessary graphic gore on TV these days and I said, "Me too."
Flag
Its not that gory, there are some scenes that may be uncomfortable viewing and violent, but not gory.
Its worth watching the first episode as it has all the elements that you will find through the series - some scenes of violence, a lot of police procedural elements, and development from all characters
It has a faster pace than The Killing (and you know who the killer is from the start) and less psychological games than Hannibal.

I found it a solid show, but not spectacular

If you do like The Killing, i would recommend Broadchurch (another UK crime drama) which will air on BBCA in August

If you are looking for other short, gritty UK police series, there have been a few quality shows in the last couple of years such as Luther, Line of Duty, The Shadow Line or Red Riding.
Flag
Aha Red Riding! I knew of that show but missed it first time around but then could never remember the name, thanks for that, added to Sickbeard :) Will also check out Line of Duty (on Netflix over here), The Shadow Line we've watched and agreed it was excellent.
Flag
Dont forget that Red Riding has 3 different sub names when you are looking for it
Red Riding: In the year of Our Lord 1974
Red Riding: In the year of Our Lord 1980
Red Riding: In the year of Our Lord 1983
Flag
Yep I found them all thanks :)
Flag
It's a show about murders and the investigation into those murders so it's not without some violence/gore, that said it's not over the top or for shock factor as with something like Hannibal, it's a very cerebral show, good story, strong characters, excellent acting etc.
Flag
It's a stunning brilliant show, watched it some time ago on Netflix and Gillian is absolutely incredible in it, I started it seeing it as Dana Scully is a British cop but you very quickly forget Scully, also helps that she looks incredible, still a smokingly hot woman! :) But of course best of all is that her acting is flawless and she plays a terrific character in it, for anyone that's seen the Canadian show Intelligence Anderson reminds me a lot of Klea Scott's performance as Mary Spalding the head of CSIS. If you like good drama watch it, ignore the fact that "oh it's another serial killer show", it is so much more than that.
Flag
Have you seen Broadchurch. I thought it was a lot better - but i agree that The Fall is very good
Flag
Yes the wife and I watched Broadchurch Saturday before last, literally watched all episodes in a day, was very, very good, different to The Fall, wouldn't say it was better but they're both very high calibre TV shows, as good as drama gets really.
Flag
I was thinking of watching Broadchurch but after The Fall was not really ready to watch yet another serial killer show but if it is good, I just might.
Flag
Yes it is very different from The Fall, but they both have great character development.
I think Broadchurch is a much better version of The Killing
Flag
I couldn't agree more, a great show and I cannot wait for season 2
Flag
Follow this Show
Members