The Famous Five

ITV (ended 1997)

sarahjanesmith

The Famous Five Fan Reviews (4)

7.2
  • Top adaption of Blyton's Famous Five books.

This set of videos - 11 in all that I know of - are quality productions which easily convert Blyton's simple tyle into tight plots while editing out pages of unwanted padding. The focus is kept firmly on adventures with just enough character presentation to seem convincing.

In many ways, they work better than the books, which is unusual.

The series is staged in the right period, the early 1950's, and the details look authentic. [ I thought I only spotted one plastic bottle which looked out of place ] This adds greatly to the presentation & is far better than the 1970's version [ with different cast ] The set locations are also very convincing.

If 'brought up-to-date' the children would all have Mobiles which would ruin the plots !

The casting is excellent & looks true to character. Georgina acts & even looks like her father. Minor characters are done well & the various Baddies are more comic than threatening
    [ except Block the butler]

There is also now [ 2005 ] a 'revised' 3 disc DVD set available for the serious fan. The 4 disc DVD set is the early 1970 series except for one episode.[ not recommended ]