The Fantastic Four

The Silver Surfer & the Coming of Galactus (Part 1 of 2)

Aired Unknown Oct 22, 1994 on

• After Dr. Doom, there’s really only one name in comics that truly inspires fear…(two if you count Rob Liefeld)….GALACTUS – a dude so big, he actually needs to eat whole planets to get his grub on!

1.6
    It’s unimaginable to me, that the creators of this story could so thoroughly trash such a beloved comic epic. The premise for this two-parter was taken from the classic three issue saga, “The Coming Of Galactus” from Fantastic Four #48-50. The animation for the FF is bad enough, but it becomes truly laughable when we see the first image of Galactus’ herald, the Silver Surfer. This cheesy 80’s backbeat plays in the background as the Surfer comes swooping down out of the sky with a goofy smile plastered on his face. And Galactus doesn’t fare much better. There is this awful scene where we see him literally consuming planets as if he were slurping them up with some invisible straw. He even licks his lips while doing it. LICKS HIS LIPS! THIS is NOT the Galactus I know and love. Galactus doesn’t tie a napkin around his neck and dig in with a knife and fork. And he most certainly would never do something so vulgar as to actually lick his lips before dining on a succulent, lean, nice side of Earth. This version of Galactus has more in common with the Omnipotus character from the TICK than he does with the brainchild of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

This is a terrible, terrible rendition of an iconic comic book moment.