The Farmer Wants A Wife (Australia)

Monday 8:30 PM on The Nine Network Premiered Jun 30, 2008 In Season

The Farmer Wants A Wife (Australia) Fan Reviews (1)

• Who could not have a soft-spot for these farmers, or this show?

"The Farmer Wants a Wife" didn't even make it on to my radar in its first season, aired on Australian tv in 2007. While it appeared to get solid ratings, it is the second season which has really taken on, and captured hearts around the country.

This show truly is a guilty pleasure. Everything about it should feel clichéd and cheesy, and yet it is incredibly addictive television.

Our six farmers are pretty typical blokes in every sense. Virtually socially inept, and at least romantically inexperienced, these guys don't know what they want, or where to find it. Everyone of them clearly has been brought up to expect that the right girl will just materialise, and that they won't have to do a thing to make it happen. Perhaps it is this cluelessness that makes the show so enjoyable; watching the farmers bungle their way through intimate moments, heart-to-hearts, and awkward confrontations is one of the most entertaining things I have seen on tv all year!

I have to say that I don't feel especially sorry for any of the farmers. They are all wealthy, with strong families and beautiful properties. It is the women that I tend to feel far more sympathetic towards. Many of these women are reaching their mid-30's and are completely discouraged. They have had their hearts broken again and again, and let's face it, to enter on a television dating show you have to be getting pretty desperate.

While its great if you find love on the show, it must be incredibly depressing to yet again not find what you are looking for, especially when many of the women develop feelings for the farmers, who felt nothing in return.

Ultimately though, if you put yourself on a show like this, you have to be prepared for the fact that it may not all go to plan. Regardless, it makes for an incredibly fascinating show which you really don't want to me. Not over-long, it has just enough episodes to keep things interesting, without going over the same scenerios several times. There are plenty of twists and lots of drama, and it really keeps you looking forward to next week.

Overall, a fun and feel-good show, and I'll be looking forward to season 3.