The Farmer's Daughter

ABC (ended 1966)

The Farmer's Daughter Fan Reviews (2)

• Inger Stevens was beautiful. I was only 4 years old when I fell in love with Inger Stevens. Kindness, emotional control, and elegance exuded from her. Why did all the good people of the Sixties die young?

"The Farmer's Daughter" kept me glued to a 13" black and white, decade-old television set purchased by my family before I was born in the Fifties. Inger Stevens was one of the first beautiful women of whom I became aware, along with Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, and "Lara" in Doctor Zhivago. The Sixties and pleasant shows like "The Farmer's Daughter" were very marvelous, until the world began to fall apart with the deaths of John, Robert, Martin, and all of our other heroes, followed by the loss of others role models like Inger Stevens.
  • Virtually forgotten, this classic sitcom deserves remembrance

This wholesome family sitcom isn't the more commonly remembered ones when vintage sitcoms come to the average person's mind it seems.

Farmers Daughter rates up there among the greatest sitcoms of the 1960's.

Inger Stevens as Katy, governess to Danny & Steven fit the part well & the chemistry between she & Glen Morley, a Washington Congressman & father of the two boys was unmistakable. It was a perfect fairytale, light & cute & i'm sure many female fans fell in love with Glen Morley & his charm & chivalry towards Katy as well as I had. He represented goodness & was an honest & decent man.

Glen eventually fell in love with & married Katy in one of the highest-rated televised weddings in television history. William Windom was well cast as the male lead & the show was a success. Cathleen Nesbitt as Glenn's mother, Agatha, deserves an honorable mention as well. She approved of Katy & often played cupid for the two.

I highly recommend this as a clean, family comedy classic & for those women who wish they had married or met a Glen Morley. The accent overall is on romance. Now if only the DVDs would come out, & in season sets. Columbia/Sony are you listening?