A The Flash Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on The CW

You guys, we made it—we survived the Upfronts! All the broadcast networks have unveiled their 2014-2015 schedules, and we've had our first taste of all the new shows that await us in the fall. We've already picked apart the future lineups of NBC, ABC, Fox, and CBS, and now its The CW's turn. Did the network's seemingly endless supply of actors who look like underwear models succeed in wooing us? That's exactly what we're here to discuss. 

First thing first: Here's The CW's 2014-2015 fall schedule.

And here are the trailers for two of the series' four new shows, The Flash and Jane the Virgin. The network hasn't yet released trailers for midseason shows iZombie and The Messengers

Now let's break down the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

THE GOOD

As the fifth-place network and a longstanding reputation as the baby cousin of the "big four" broadcast nets, The CW has more to prove than anyone else. And with only 10 hours of original programming a week, it's got to be bold with both its series orders and its scheduling. In 2013-2014, many people expected the network to pair The Originals with its mothership The Vampire Diaries on Thursdays; instead it decided to air the New Orleans-set spin-off at 8pm on Tuesdays as the lead-in to veteran drama Supernatural (which itself moved back to Tuesdays after a couple seasons on Friday nights). The network will deploy a similar strategy in 2014-2015 by pairing Arrow off-shoot The Flash with those still-handsome Winchesters, rather than seating it next to its origin series on Wednesday nights.

At first glance, it may seem strange that The CW would separate the two superhero shows, as they're already planning future crossovers and will almost certainly share an audience. But keeping them apart spreads the wealth throughout the week; Arrow fans are likely to watch the Barry Allen spin-off no matter when it airs, and airing The Flash and Arrow on different evenings gives The Flash a much better chance of drawing viewers who aren't even aware of Oliver Queen (apparently they do indeed exist!).

Plus, Supernatural is heading into its tenth season without showing any signs of stopping. When it was paired with the Mikaelson siblings in 2013-2014, the combo earned the network some of its highest-rated Tuesday nights in years. So the Winchesters' incredibly loyal (and vocal!) fanbase makes Supernatural the perfect show to help launch like-minded newbies. While I wouldn't, for instance, schedule the lovable rom-com Hart of Dixie alongside the demon-hunting bros, The Flash is a perfectly good match for them.

Finally, moving The Originals to Monday to kick off the week signals that The CW is confident in the show's ability to succeed on its own, without any help from the Winchesters or the Salvatores. Come fall, Klaus and his crew will find themselves facing off against Fox's Gotham; the competition will be tough, but since they've already proven that they're every bit as worthy of our love and adoration as the show from whence they came (which hasn't even been very good lately), I have a feeling they'll do just fine.

THE BAD

I strongly believe The CW made a mistake in holding Rob Thomas's iZombie until the midseason, and until I hear a good reason for doing so, I'm going to go ahead and blame Tim because he included Jane the Virgin on his list of 15 pilots he hoped would get picked up based on the ridiculous premise of a woman being artificially inseminated by accident. 

Thanks to some top-secret sources, I can personally confirm that the iZombie pilot script is very strong, with Thomas's trademark wit and humor throughout. And given all the buzz surrounding Thomas after the launch of his Kickstarted Veronica Mars film earlier this year, I absolutely expected The CW to try to capitalize on that by debuting iZombie in the fall. I get the feeling that Marshmallows are exactly the type of viewers who will appreciate the drama, which mixes humor, mystery, and supernatural. 

At the very least, iZombie would've been a better Monday-night bedmate for The OriginalsI have no idea why The CW paired the TVD spin-off with Jane the Virgin—especially since, if it'd matched The Originals with iZombie in the fall, it could've aligned Jane with the currently-held-for-midseason Hart of Dixie in the spring.

THE UGLY

The fact that The CW renewed Beauty and the Beast for Season 3 isn't just ridiculous, it's insulting to the CW shows that ended up canceled. Sometimes a low-rated series can eke out extra season if its storytelling is strong enough, but BATB not only didn't have the ratings to warrant renewal, it didn't have the quality. It's supremely frustrating knowing that BATB will live on while The Carrie Diaries—a quality series with solid performances by AnnaSophia Robb, Brendan Dooling, and Freema Agyeman—was cut down after two seasons. I don't know what CW president Mark Pedowitz was smoking when he made the decision to keep BATB and dump Carrie, but if it made BATB look good then I want some, because that sh*t is magical.

Best-looking New CW Series: The Flash

All you need is five minutes to watch this extended trailer to see that the network has a very flashy (sorry, I had to) new hit on its hands. 

Worst-looking New CW Series: Jane the Virgin

To be fair, the network only has four new series on the way, and we've only seen trailers for two of them, but something's getting the "worst-looking" label and it sure ain't The Flash. Adapted from a telenovela, Jane the Virgin is about a virgin who gets accidentally artificially inseminated. UM, HI, WHY IS SHE NOT SUING THIS DOCTOR?

How do your first impressions of The CW's new schedule and shows match up to mine? 

Upfronts 2014 HQ:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/25/2017

Season 3 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/2/2017

Season 3 : Episode 20

67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Love The Flash & Beauty and The Beast
Flag
CW is my favorite channel, so glad they has Beauty and the Beast...I need to catch up on it though! The originals and the vampire diaries also amazing just saying!
Flag
yes beauty and the beast is solid, go away with your critics, love kristin kreuk ;)

I agree with jane the virgin, without even watch or see any poster i knew it will be crap...

Flag
what's wrong with u man, batb iz a terrific show
they really shouldn't have cancelled tomorrow people and starcrossed
also miss nikita and the secret circle
but can't believe that awful crap hart of Dixie survived till 4th seazon while these got cancelled at least the final season gonna have 10 ep
love the arrow, flash, tvd, reign, oririginalz but supernatural iz deteriorating gradually its spinoff bloodlinez was mindbloeing it's a shame it didn't get pickedup, waiting for izombie hope that it's gonna be better as its a cw show, btw hated that walking dead

Flag
if they wont cancelled tomorrow people and starcrossed we probably wont have The Flash and The 100. We got better :)
Flag
I cant wait for the Flash to start up. Hope he gets back together with Felicity.
Miss The Tomorrow People and sooo glad about Beauty and the Beast :)
Flag
Whooo, Arrow in The Flash :) *hoping for some more cross-overs*
Really looking forward to The Flash, and the third season of Arrow!
The 100 is also okay, but the rest of the shows on The CW... Mweh. Used to watch Vampire Diaries, but that got boring.
Flag
Am I the only one focused on the fact that in the picture above, 'The Bad' Damon is wearing an Evil Abed goatee?... I miss Community.
Flag
Now that Nikita is gone, I only watch Supernatural on the CW and that should have ended a few seasons ago.
Flag
still pissed about The Tomorrow People.
Flag
Kill BATB and bring back the Secret Circle. Just saying.
Flag
So far the only show I watch on the CW is Supernatural. I have given a few a try but none have hooked me. So I will watch Supernatural no matter the time slot. Will probably give iZombie a try possibly the Flash
Flag
iZOMBIE! iZOMBIE! iZOMBIE! :P Very much looking forward to that, and I don't watch zombie things. Well, except maybe In The Flesh. Also, Night of the Comet, Plan 9, Shaun of the Dead and theoretically Pushing Daisies. Really, that's it.

I'm also looking forward to The Flash, but like everything it needs quality scripts and something unique. (Please CW don't make its promo beat-for-beat identical to The Arrow's, like you did with The Tomorrow People's. Ugh.) I liked the 1990 Flash TV series, with some great guest stars, but it only lasted one season.
Flag
THE FLASH!!!!!! THE FLASH!!!!!!! THE FREKIN FLASH!!!!!!!
Flag
OMG!!!! The Flash looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Why can't it start now?
Flag
The Flash looks awesome!!!! I can't wait to watch it and there's a part of me that wants to watch it, just to see more of Oliver and Felicity.

How cool would it be if the Meta-Humans caused by the explosion spill over into Starling City?? That would be awesome!!! And a great way to slowly help build the supernatural awareness for that show. Because so far, the Mirakuru is the most supernatural thing they've seen. Seeing someone who can control the elements? Diggle would flip his shit.

I thought Constantine was also picked up? Was that under a different network?

I'm really glad that Supernatural: Bloodlines isn't happening. That would have been very bad. If they want to do a spin-off it would be great to increase their female presence. Like two or three women who are best friends in their early twenties and one of them is a shapeshifter or boarderwalker or something and they're all Hunters. That would be pretty cool. Or something like if the main character was a Profit who had to deal with Hunters lol that could be funny.
Flag
bloodlinez would've so mush better, kinda sick of supernatural it's more like a series with the main storyline in only first and final 2 episodes
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Constantine is on NBC, thank God.
Flag
The Flash is super huge for TV in general and for theCW in particular. I think they're gonna break a record in viewers. But Jane the Virgin is such a piece of shit, it screws up the whole picture.
Flag
The fact that Jane the Virgin is an adaptation of a telenovela speaks very loudly of it's horrible upbriging, but so was Ugly Betty so who knows? I'm more excited for iZombie than I am for Flash, atually.
Flag
Jane virgin sounds so bad I might just watch the 1st few episodes to laugh at it.

It's supremely frustrating knowing that BATB will live on while The Carrie Diaries—a quality series with solid performances by AnnaSophia Robb, Brendan Dooling, and Freema Agyeman—was cut down after two seasons.

If I am hands/legs like a centipede, I would raised them all up to agree with this !
Flag
Being careful about The Flash. I respect the Arrow fans enough not to talk bad about the series (I've yet to see series 2, S1 was alright), The Flash is still not grabbing me. I will still watch a few episodes as I am a fan of the character.
Flag
I wish iZombie was premiering in the fall too, especially since the concept for Jane the Virgin is really gross. Zombie woman snacking on brains? I'm interested. But a woman "accidentally" inseminated (how does that even happen?), ugh. No.
Flag
Over on Tvseriesfinale they said that BATB was renewed because of "strong international sales for CBS" which co-owns the CW. And according to zap2it Mark Pedowitz talked to reporters yesterday and said that Beauty and the Beast "is a "fan favorite", that BATB "has a huge presence on the Internet" and that "it has a business model that works well on an international basis and on a social media basis."
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Someone's pissed ! :D
Flag
Not really. I'm just having fun.
Flag
I thought I read yesterday that they decided to keep BATB over TTP because BATB had the stronger online presence. So we have officially entered the realm where social presence negates all else.

Or else they got a mass amount of death threats from the uber-rabid fans....
Flag
Staff
That is what they said. I am still not ruling out that Kristen Kreuk is a witch, though.
Flag
Given the network it'd make sense.
Flag
I completely agree about iZombie, and not only because I'm excited for it, and not excited for Jane the Virgin. But you're right, it would have been the perfect match with Originals, and that stupid Jane show would've fit better with Hart of Dixie.
Flag
I agree IZombie should've been on in fall but I've heard CW will give all promotion to Flash in fall and IZombie in Midseason and cw felt IZombie would get lost in the fall in the mix of two other DC comics-Flash & Gotham.
Im really sad Carrie got cancelled too but BatB was renewed cause it's CBS owned -CBS wants a bigger part of cw-,it sold really well lnternationally ,did well online,in DVr and on social media.CW said " we're happy with the creative direction".I also like BatB.
Flag
Is it bad that I just want The Flash to see more of Ollie and then be disappointed when he almost never shows up?
Flag
I'll give The Flash a go. But even Christ is saying Mi Dios at Jane the Virgin.
Flag
Just give us iZombie!!!!!
P.S: Can't wait for Flash.
Flag
I like that TO moved to Mondays cos my Tuesdays were getting incredibly crowded.
Flag
Staff
When did Tuesdays become the big night for TV? I feel like I'm still behind on my Tuesday night shows!
Flag
the flash looks good, im so glad the CW appears to have done it right!!!
Flag
beauty and the beast may not be the best show ever but it's better than that piece of crap carrie diaries.
Flag
My best friend's mom just made a couple of thousands of dollars just by making Jane the Virgin. You can make your own show too. You can submit your brilliant or stupid ideas. If it's brilliant, it might get approved. If it's stupid, there is a higher chance of it being approved. Go to NBC Dot Cum Slash NBC Playground and that's where millions of money get put into dildos and get sent to the higher people above this world. This message was unofficially advertised for CW and NBC. This message might appear in other network's articles. It's possible that this person was paid to write this spam/scam slam dunk of a comment. This message might be cancelled by TV.com who is owned by CBS due to jealousy and other reasons. This message can not be edited but can be removed. I'm hoping this message doesn't get canceled. I'll wait days to see what happens to this message. Maybe I'll get a lot of likes and the CBS staff might like it. Maybe I wont. Who Knows? I want to get rich just by writing this message. Hopefully, I do. Spam is money. Money is spam.
Flag
Tim's "The Ugly" looks like a bad PS2 render.

Your "Bad" argument against Tim makes sense, WTF Jane the Virgin over iZombie just due to the title basically??? Rob Thomas is awesome and the premise is more compelling than some girl who got artificially inseminated before she was naturally penetrated.

I would also chalk The Flash's awful timeslot up to being at least "Bad", going up against NCIS is really bad for most any show, especially one that doesn't look as compelling as Arrow.

Ha, yeah, Beauty and the Beast keeps portraying the myth that Kristin Kreuk is an actor.

Not feeling that Flash trailer, but it's not like there's a ton of choices here for best new series.

Sue the doctor for child support, I like that!
Flag
Okay, I'll throw a suggestion, CW always had criticism for not diversifying enough. Maybe they hoped Jane would draw in on the latin fad?
Flag
is there a latin fad?

where, i didn't noticed, maybe in a show about maids (sorry for the stereotype )(don't recall the name... look it up, Devious Maids)but where else?

PS: what TV and MEDIA in general need is LESS white ppl, and MORE of everyone else.

Flag
There is one. I'm surprised people find that odd. Even if you take latin singers like JLo you'll see that she has periods where she goes more latin and periods where she backs off of it.

As for other things that are more diversified, just take for example Teen Wolf. A show where the main character is hispanic, you have totally open gay characters with no problem to have on screen relationship and what not.

That's because that's MTV and not CW.
Flag
Latin shouldn't be a "fad", and The CW shouldn't try to pander when Univision outperforms them in the ratings consistently.
Flag
I agree with every thing you said. But what they *should* do and what they *actually* do are wide apart.
Flag
Maybe CW chose saving the best for last (Jane the Virgin / iZombie)

JT_Kirk, you may think "...and the premise is more compelling than some girl who got artificially inseminated..."
but this show will be a Dramedy, i wouldn't expect that much complexity.

• As for iZombie, wow, (from the comic)
  • shes a zombie (everyone could guess until this point, now),
  • working in a cemetery and getting her brains from the "recent" dead (until now pretty normal zombie canon, right)
  • once she eats a brain she gets the memories from the deceased for a few days (this is different right )
  • what they could do, from here could be very GOOD, or extremely SUCKY
Flag
Even simple stories should be compelling, "complexity" isn't what I'm looking for, just a compelling story that's told well.

iZombie, she works in a coroner's office, not a cemetary.
Flag
the fact that Izombie is goign to ACTUALLY air on television just shows how stupid america is. It is going to be worse than walking dead, and yes walking dead is LAME, BORING, and ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! Before you sound off, this is why...

1, What was Ricks ultimate goal when it started?
to get back to his family,
2, What did they do to a zombie in the first 3 or 4 episodes?
chopped one of them up and covered clothes with the guts of the dead
Yeah, it only takes "2" to make this show look like a fu**ing retard is in charge.
First off how are you going to uncover the weakness of the Zombies RIGHT FROM JUMP! then never use that tactic throughout the show on a regular basis, hmmm

and how is it going to start off rick loving his family sooooo much, that after 3 and half seasons he is separated from his newborn baby, and theres no emotion, no signs throughout the episodes leading to finale of Rick and Karl showing any scenes of them crying out to get Judith back.

Yup thats all you need right there to completely destroy a show, good job. Im done with the Boring Dead, and Izombie, I can honestly say that if anyone of my friends tell me they watch it, your viewpoint and anything you say about television automatically is drowned out by something around me, and ill never ask you for advise on a show or even a movie because YOU'RE AN IDIOT!
More +
Flag
I don't think you understand the premise behind "iZombie", it's not really a that kind of zombie show at all, it's almost like Zombie Quantum Leap. I have no vested interest in The Walking Dead whatsoever, never watched it, don't like most zombie stories.
Flag
So essentially your argument is that since it has a zombie it's automatically the exact same show as TWD?

All righty then.......
Flag
point 2 is good..it also happens to be the only time in the entire series where it rained and happened to wash it all off putting them in danger...also how do they keep finding these abandoned houses/ shops/ golf clubs with food and water in them when they've been out scavenging from the prison for months now...
Flag
Don't be a Lemon
Flag
Life is better with lemons. I think I'll hit up Hot Dog on a Stick and get a nice glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade today. Or maybe some strawberry lemonade at the Oxnard Strawberry Festival tomorrow.
Flag
&. I don't know what CW president Mark Pedowitz was smoking when he made the decision to
&keep; BATB and dump Carrie,

TV By the Numbers knows all. :-) The most logical explanation is that the CW network is a joint effort between CBS and Warner Brothers. CBS might not be amused that 70%+ of the shows on the CW are Warner properties, with even more of a shift if BaTB was canceled (and Star-Crossed was a CBS property too). BaTB might have been renewed to appease CBS.

As for Carrie Diaries, its ratings were simply low, even for a Friday. It doesn't matter how good or poor a show is written, directed or performed; it's all about the money (or in the CW's case, sometimes about the politics).
Flag
I totally agree. I cannot fathom why the reviewers on this site point to the carie diaries when they themselves predicted it would get the ax.

I was probably the only person on this planet predicting that BATB would be renewed ;)

CBS might very well be part of the reason, but I'm also guessing insanely cheap to make would be the other. No need for special effects other than their eyes, unlike StarCrossed or Tomorrow people

And when a show is constantly on a threat to get cancelled - you know the actors aren't going to demand high salaries.
Flag
Staff
We knew it would be canceled, but the QUALITY of the show was far better than BATB, which was the point being made.
Flag
I loved Carrie too, but quality isn't a reason shows get cancelled or renewed plus quality is subjective
Flag
I also think they simply didn't have many other shows to go with. There was a lot riding on Supernatural Bloodlines. I guarantee their original plan was to air Originals with Bloodlines on Mondays, but the quality wasn't there so they scrambled to grab what they could hence Jane the Virgin was picked up. Mark my words they are expecting it to fail, will probably pull it at the midseason point and air the final episodes of BatB. Then next season push another Supernatural spinoff with hopefully better quality.

Mark Pedowitz seems to be pretty smart and he knows that the CW has an uphill battle so he is trying to build branding. Vampire Diaries and Arrow universes are dominating currently and they are trying to establish a Supernatural universe too. That way there will be a flagship show for every night and then they can throw experiments behind them hoping the lead ins will boost them up.

Just imagine the line up.

Mondays - Originals and Supernatural Spinoff
Tuesdays - Flash and Supernatural
Wednesdays - Arrow and The 100/other high quality scifi show for other half of year
Thursdays - Vampire Diaries and Reign
Fridays - Variety shows

This is what he is most likely aiming for. The CW will have these main series going and have mini series events to generate buzz each tv season.
More +
Flag
Jane the Virgin was picked up to 1.appease CBS by having bit more equal amount of shows
2.Pedowitz said in Jan "there's a point of oversaturation of genre on the network & we'll move back to family programming"
Flag
&That; way there will be a flagship show for every night and then they can
&throw; experiments behind them hoping the lead ins will boost them up.

That's a very astute analysis and makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the insight.
Flag
Flash. Wow.
Flag
"To be fair, there network only has four new series on the way". Kaitlin, did you use Google Translate to translate this from Spanish? :) Or did your proofreader smoke some of that magical sh*t before work?
Flag
Staff
Both.
Flag
Well then hook a brother up!
Flag
Ha! She could have meant either "the" or "their", but yeah.
Flag
I absolutely agree with what you said about The Flash,couldn't have said it better myself.And Jane the Virgin is a turkey!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS