The Flintstones

Cave Scout Jamboree

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Jan 30, 1964 on ABC

• A groundbreaking episode featuring many different countries/ethnicity's. 8)

William Hanna and Joseph Barbera have always been progressive directors. William Hanna was one of the first people to direct a cartoon to star positive, non-offensive, non-stereotyped African-American characters in his directorial debut, "To Spring." And despite her name, Tom's female African-American owner was her own boss and worked for nobody but herself, and she always showed Tom that she meant business. And in the television industry of cartoons, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera continued their progressive trend. The Flintstones and the Rubbles think that they're going to enjoy a nice, relaxing, camping vacation where they will be able to get away from it all. What they don't realize is that they're going to be camping amongst a Huge group of Cave Boy Scouts, all gathering within the valley the two families are camping at for their annual jamboree. Although the families are understandably frustrated at first, they soon find themselves having fun, with Fred and Barney not only teaching scouts how to do things, but also being taught how to do things as well. This episode is really great as it shows how Boy Scouts should ideally work when given the proper troop masters and a proper learning method from their parents and/or teachers. The best part however, was seeing all the different children from all the different parts of the world singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" in their very own language. Russian children, Chinese children, African-American children, Swedish children, Polish children, French children, Spanish children, Italian children, Algerian children, Moroccan children, Burmese children, Australian children, Japanese children, and even Korean children were all featured in this wonderfully diverse, wonderfully unique episode. And its good family viewing to, so I would highly recommend it for watching. :idea: Enough said! ;)
  • Scout's Honor!

After a bad start, The Flintstones and the Rubbles go camping, until they ran into some scouts for their jamboree and that where the episode shows such promise. I like it in the end when they had that sing-along and there some African-americans in the episode. Do you suppose they had broken the color barrior for an aminated series. I like this epiosde, despite a bad start. I'll give that episode a 10 for the African-american children. but it's a 7.5. Not a bad rating. I like the episode, but not enought for a 8 or a 9. I'm giving it a 7.5.