The Flintstones

Hot Lips Hannigan

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Oct 07, 1960 on ABC

• Fred is practicing his magic trick when he thinks he has made Betty and Wilma disappear(which they havent),so he and Barney go to see an old friend performing at a jazz club.Wilma and Betty decide to follow them and teach them a lesson.

This early episode is a great example of what The Flintstones did best.The part at the jazz club has some great satire,with Fred reviving his old nickname,"The Golden Smog",which is a take off on Mel Tormes "The Velvet Fog".To some extent,this episode seems to borrowed more from I Love Lucy than The Honeymooners,but it shows its own style.This is the first of a number of episodes which satirizes the popular music of the time.But I think this is one of the best.The sometimes stormy marriage between Fred and Wilma is very much on display here.I dont know if I would say dark,but there is an edge in their relationship.And it is a very funny episode.
  • The second episode of The Flintstones.

This is the second episode of season 1 of The Flintstones. This episode was pretty good. I wasn't that impressed, the story was a bit slow and really had no point. But the joke Wilma and Betty play on Barney and Fred is classic! I give this episode a 9/10, not the best episode, but I can't give it anything less than a 9!
  • Wilma and Betty dress up as groupies, following singer Fred and drummer Barney at the Rockland, where Hot Lips Hannigan is playing.

7.8
    These are my questions and comments about Hot Lips Hannigan.
    1. It has the 1960 opening sequence.
    2. Fred's nickname was the Golden Smog. He attended Rockville High School 20 years ago.
    3. Fred and Barney belong to the Loyal Order of Dinosaurs. Their hats aren't horned; they look like something Napoleon wore.
    4. Is Hot Lips supposed to be a takeoff of Mel Torme?
    5. This is the first of many musical episodes of the series. The style of music that the Flintstones listen to will change as the decade progresses. In 1960, they listened to jazz; by 1966 it was California pop/rock.