The Flintstones

No Biz Like Show Biz

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Sep 17, 1965 on ABC

7.8
  • Fred dreams that Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm become singing stars.

"No Biz Like Show Biz" was recorded April 13, 1965, and originally aired Sept. 17, 1965. As the season premiere, it was unusual in that it obviously was more expensive to produce. It also had unusual closing credits which featured a reprise of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm singing on stage.
    This has always been my favorite episode of the series.
    1. This episode features the "stereo" music opening with Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm.
    2. Pebbles gets her third outfit--a green shirt and white diaper.
    3. There are many "real" people mentioned or parodied in this episode: Eppy Brianstone and the Termites (Brian Epstein and the Beatles), Shirley Dimple (Shirley Temple), Dr. Freudstone (Sigmund Freud) and Johnny Rockson (Johnny Carson).
    4. I have never figured out who "Fritz deFritley" is based upon. Fritz is the guy Fred dresses up in disguise as. I wonder if Fritz is based on a real person involved in education in the 1960s. On the other hand, "Fritz" is also a German nickname for "Frederick."
    5. The song "Open Up Your Heart and Let the Sunshine In" was written by Stuart Hamblen, a country gospel songwriter, in 1953. There was a single version of the song released in conjunction with the episode, and the 45 is very pricey on ebay today. The flip side is also a children's religious song, about Sunday school. I have never learned who provided the singing voices of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm on these two songs. Of course, two such tunes with such religious overtones could never be recorded for network television today!