The Flintstones

Sheriff for a Day

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Feb 05, 1965 on ABC

• Guns don't usually killed Cartoon characters!

The flintstones and the Rubbles are out west searching for Uraniun where they come to this town where Fred was made Sheriff by the guy who wanted to get out of town. The reason is that a gang of desperado is coming to town to kill the sheriff, they don't care who is Sheriff. I like this episode, not the best, but I like it neverless. I was on the edge of my seat as a kid as the gang is walking down the street, looking for the Sheriff. There were some surprises at the end, but I don't mind.
  • An affectionate spoof of TV and movie-Western cliches.

First of all, this is a direct send-up of "High Noon" (the unsurpassable Gary Cooper version). Right down to the surprisingly catchy "show-down" music!

Then, there's Mel Blanc's falsetto deputy voice. It's the same one he used as Droop Along, the coyote-like deputy of Sheriff Riccochet Rabbit, on the old "Magilla Gorilla Show." And, in both cases, it was a parody/exaggeration of Dennis Weaver's voice, from way back when _he_ played Deputy Marshal Chester on "Gunsmoke!"

I also loved the clever dialogue. For example; as Fred goes off, to face the consequences of his bragging, Barney (looking at the home-viewing audience) remarks that such bravery is "the stuff legends are made of."

To which, Betty and Wilma reply (in tearful unison): "And, widows, too!"

Of course, shortly afterward, comes the nick-of-time arrival of the Cartrocks (Stone Age versions of the "Bonanza" Bunch).

Yessiree, Bob! This episode is a series classic, in every sense of the word.